Erskine Group not the best choice for a sub 100k home theatre... - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 227 Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I have had Jeff to my theater as well. Very professional, smart and loves what he does.

+1 on Jeff. He's been to my home a few times. Very professional and knowledgeable.
me3 or 4. Very straight shooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Simple/stupid question, if i make the screen larger i assume the projector needs more lumens to maintain the screen brightness.
I was looking at option of putting in a larger retractable screen (seymour AT) that could be close to wall to wall width (150 or 160 inch width) with masking for option of 2.35 image.
THat way when i need access behind the screen i can just retract it fully.
This is as an alternative to a xd fixed / curved screen about 130" wide. (my contractor thinks if i go any wider will have trouble getting behind the screen at all.

would there be issues in having virtually a wall to wall screen? i know light reflection onto the side walls is one problem. will the screen feel overbearing to those in the front row only 130" away from the screen?
Also a sony vw1000 or vw600 would maybe struggle to light up the larger screen?

thanks
Mads
post #213 of 227 Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Screens are mounted with a French cleat system and held in place by gravity, I installed a Seymour curved screen and it was the same way (Curve frenzy thread) his screen came withing 3-4 inches of the side wall on both sides and getting the screen on and off was less than a 10 minute operation. You just need to be good at parallel parking. The curved screen did have two screws though brackets on the bottom part of the frame to hold the screen vertical.

I wouldn't opt for a retractable screen to provide better access to the speakers if someone gave me one for free. The frequency of access (almost never) doesn't warrant opening up the chance that the screen won't hang perfectly flat or the motor goes bananas.
mads1 likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #214 of 227 Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The vw1000 would light up 130 inches without any issues whatsoever. The vw600 is somewhat dimmer and may not look quite as "punchy" but it should do ok.
mads1 likes this.

John
post #215 of 227 Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

The vw1000 would light up 130 inches without any issues whatsoever. The vw600 is somewhat dimmer and may not look quite as "punchy" but it should do ok.

My 1000ES lights up my 0.80 gain S-SE 4K screen with ease.......after 500 hrs still as bright when first hung. Great projector...........

I watch college football with lights 50% on in room and projector is bright enough I have no desire to lower lights.........

My Build Threads

post #216 of 227 Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I used Erskine Group - was very happy with the result and finished it for far less than $100k. My biggest expense other than seats, were carpet ($5.8k), buying a surround sound processor and projector ($6.5k). Seats were $16k. I figure I spent around $40k all up on materials.

That said - I did everything DIY, except for laying the carpet. I figure between Dad and myself, we put in about 200 man days of work. Here in Australia, the day rate for a general contractor is around $300 per day, so I figure I saved myself somewhere around $60k in labor costs.
post #217 of 227 Old 01-08-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiroky View Post

I used Erskine Group - was very happy with the result and finished it for far less than $100k. My biggest expense other than seats, were carpet ($5.8k), buying a surround sound processor and projector ($6.5k). Seats were $16k. I figure I spent around $40k all up on materials.

That said - I did everything DIY, except for laying the carpet. I figure between Dad and myself, we put in about 200 man days of work. Here in Australia, the day rate for a general contractor is around $300 per day, so I figure I saved myself somewhere around $60k in labor costs.

that is great, however i never intended to DIY this theatre. spending 400 man days of work is a HUGE cost! Much cheaper for me to pay someone to do it.
Before i contracted Erskine, i had already had quotes from contractors to build out the space to my own plans (which ended up very similar to the Erskine ones) and that estimated price was $40k. We have contracted for that sum. so the balance was for the AV equipment and acoustic treatments etc.
post #218 of 227 Old 01-08-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
OP - very interested in seeing some of the details of your theater come together. Might be a good time to start a new dedicated build thread.
Mfusick likes this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #219 of 227 Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your support, guidance, challenges and advice - all appreciated

just started a new thread for the build which started this week.. you can see it at:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510688/drama-in-the-theatre-building-a-12-seater-home-theatre
post #220 of 227 Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiroky View Post

Seats were $16k.

Sixteen thousand dollars for theater seats?

How many people does your HT seat? 20???

See the Supercharged 10second II here :

See the ConcreteBunker Build w/8x18" IB subs here:
coming soon......
post #221 of 227 Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone know how i contact an AVS moderator? I have had an automated warning about posting a Erskine group phone number, which i dont think i did and want to ask about it.
post #222 of 227 Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
http://www.avsforum.com/u/32345/drdon

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #223 of 227 Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
16K was about right - I purchased the Salamander Talia seats in black leather. They are american made and have a site here: www.salamanderdesigns.com.

there was an MSRP price guide here: http://nocidesign.com/downloads/brochure_priceguide.pdf

It seats 6, in two rows of 3 and it's all italian leather, with motorized recliners. It wasn't cheap, but after a lot of running around, i felt that it was worth paying the premium for the quality - it was heads and shoulders above other things i looked at.

My only regret was not long after buying these - DBOX released some seats, and for the price I paid I might have gone and spent a bit extra to get the DBOX seats in.

I'm sure there's more affordable options out there.
Elill likes this.
post #224 of 227 Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm liking the Matteo's.....I gather they don't have an Aussie supplier?

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #225 of 227 Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mads1 View Post

Anyone know how i contact an AVS moderator? I have had an automated warning about posting a Erskine group phone number, which i dont think i did and want to ask about it.

Is that now not allowed ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #226 of 227 Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Is that now not allowed ?

I did manage to communicate with the moderator who was very reasonable on the matter. He had been requested by Erskine to remove a phone number (i didnt realise i had put it in there - i guess it was in the Erskine signature at the bottom of the listed emails) and it turns out although it was the Erskine "Group" phone number i was told to use to contact Shawn Byrne (SierraMikeBravo), it was a private number for their designer and not a company number.
post #227 of 227 Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 853
That makes sense and seems reasonable. ^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Procella P6 , Triad Inwall Bronze 4 Lcr , Triad Inroom Platinum Sub , Triad Inwall Bronze 6 Sub , Runco Ls 5 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page