I am redoing my theater after we had a flood in the summer.
I am looking to clone parts of some of the best theaters I've seen here in the past couple years. I really like Mario's Cinemar theater, but I don't have the height he has to pay with. My door is on the side instead of the back, but I'm planning on the side of the screen through the sides being fairly similar. I won't have a sky painted mural yet, but I will be set up to do it if I choose in the future.
My room dimensions are similar to Mario's and with my door not being in the back, I'm going to have room for the bar counter in the back. I'm planning on Oak stained a very dark colour instead of painting it back. I will freely admit that it will not be as nice as Mario's and will not have a D Box thought I am strongly considering buying his Cinemar products for my theater.
* FRONT ROW - 4 Fusion Lagoon motorized recliners in IOVOOVOI configuration
* SECOND ROW - I am going to have a couch but I'm planning on buying a another row of Fusion products at some point.
* BACK ROW - For my back row I'm thinking of 4-6 Bar stools with a 20-24" deep granite or marble counter top.
* L/R MAINS - DIY Fusion Tempest 12" waveguide speakers - Placement @ 34 degrees 42" high
* CENTER - DIY Fusion Tempest 12" waveguide speaker - Placement @ 0 degrees 42" high
* SURROUNDS - Fusion Alchemy's X 4 from DIYSoundgroup - Side Placement @ 110 degrees and rear @ 155 degrees with both at 50" high for sides
* WIDES -Fusion Alchemy - 53 degrees (which is over the 45 degree) 42" high
* HIGHS - Acoustic Energy Aegis One's temporarily until I pick which waveguide I want. (waiting on an 11.2 receiver)
* SUB WOOFERS - 4 DIY Dayton 15" Ultimax kits. Two with Bash 500s amps from Parts Express and two will have an iNuke DSP 6000 Placement - 2 in back corners on riser and two will be on the stage at the 1/4 marks or in the corner. Testing will determine.
From studs: 17' 6" wide & 26' 9" deep
Ceiling is already in place. 5/8" + 5/8" drywall on clips. ( I didn't need to tear down the ceiling after the water damage) The ceiling does not touch the joists above. When we framed the room, we framed the walls up and built a ceiling in this room that was 2" under the duct work that covered 1/2 the width of the room and went straight across instead of going up. So I'm 14" under the joists that are 6'11" up. I built a huge hush box around the duct work (two layers of 3/4" plywood that does not touch the duct. There is insulation in the joists above (1 foot deep and then insulation on top of the theater ceiling., so no physical contact. In my previous theater I had zero noise transmission through the duct work. All my noise leakage came from the door gap to ground and leakage around the edges.
Ceiling height from floor to drywall 7'9"
Walls are 5/8" OSB + 1/2" drywall, plus the bottom half of the walls has 1/2" OSB as well, plus 3/4" veneered oak plywood. I put tar paper between the bottom layers.
Ordered Kinetics TAD diffusion template panels from Kinetics for diffusion. Using OC703 and Linacoustic
FRONT ROW - 12'6"
MIDDLE ROW -
BAR - Granite top. Chairs TBD
* RECEIVER - Denon 3311ci
* AMPLIFIER - Sherbourn P 7-350
* SCREEN - I currently have an SMX screen that is 11' 6" wide and 61" high. It has a mark on it from the company the insurance co used, so I am likely going with the same Seymour AV screen as Mario. I'm building it so I can handle my 138" wide screen or go with the 136" he has.used.
* IMAGE PROCESSING - Darbee Darblet
* POWER CONDITIONER / ups - Need to look at it again
* Looking at getting MiniDSP for the subs
- Likely nothing too elaborate
* Speaker - FR701 GOM Black
* Top of Front Cabinet Below Screen & Sides of Vertical Front Cabinets Facing Screen - Black Triple Plush Velvet
* Bordering Edges that the Seymour AV Screen sit's on - Protostar Self-Adhesive Flocked Light Trap Material
* Walls - TBD
Colour - Likely GOM . My wife can't visualize well, so it is likely that all of the wood will be in and stained before I obtain large pieces of the final two colours for her to pick from.
I will have two columns on each side and two in the back.
I will have side columns like Mario’s, but since I am planning on speakers behind those, my angle will not be 45 degrees, but likely 30 degrees. Since my Paradigm’s will be behind those, I’ll likely have the lower doors being high and my top doors being short. (My High speakers will be behind those)
*I plan on it being 33” high on the lower level with it being 31” high on the riser. (96” sheet cut to 33, 31, 31 pieces 48” wide to save cost) I’ll be using ¾” Oak Veneer Plywood for the wainscoting and for the columns.
*I plan on the wainscoting being out 1 ¼” from the wall, so that above it, I can put 1” treatments behind the cloth.