Soundproofing master thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1171 of 1174 Old 06-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's another noise related question. I am getting ready to install a ducted mini split system for my theater room. I will be using flex duct in the theater room, but will be running rectangular duct up to the room. I am sourcing the rectangular duct transitions, elbows, and takeoffs from a local manufacturer, but want to buy the straight sections of rectangular duct from Lowes or HD to keep cost down. The problem is that it looks like the Lowes or HD duct is 28 or 30GA, while it looks like most fabricators use 26GA material. I'm wondering if going with 28 or 30GA material is inviting noise problems from the duct "oil canning" when the system turns on and off. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1174 Old 06-29-2015, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Dead vent : is it size or volume that matters?

Hi

I'm building a drumming room not a HT, but the soundproofing requirements seem the same and I'm learning so much from the forum.

It will only be a 10'x6' division of a basement. To ventilate I was going to use dead vents, though am only using 4" flexduct as flow requirements are low and ventilation noise is not a problem (you won't hear it for the drumming). Now outside the room there is only 4' spare and specs state 2'x'2 box. Giving volume of about 2x2x6 (low ceiling) of 24 cube Ft.

Q1. given the smaller duct size, would a 1'x4'x6' box be as effective(same volume).

Two of these would effectively be the width of the double stud wall I'm installing, so...

Q2. Would this induce triple leaf effect.

plan would be DD GG, 2x4, 1"gap, 2x4, single drywall, deadvent, DD GG. I would mount fan externally for easy access and because it will only be running when I am drumming.

Q3. Budget is tight (as usual) so given diminishing returns, would my assumption that GG 1 tube/board on both int/ext faces would be more effective than GG 2 tubes/board on just interior.

any advice welcome
post #1173 of 1174 Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTstang View Post
Here's another noise related question. I am getting ready to install a ducted mini split system for my theater room. I will be using flex duct in the theater room, but will be running rectangular duct up to the room. I am sourcing the rectangular duct transitions, elbows, and takeoffs from a local manufacturer, but want to buy the straight sections of rectangular duct from Lowes or HD to keep cost down. The problem is that it looks like the Lowes or HD duct is 28 or 30GA, while it looks like most fabricators use 26GA material. I'm wondering if going with 28 or 30GA material is inviting noise problems from the duct "oil canning" when the system turns on and off. Thoughts?
For anyone that might be interested: I went to a metal fabrication shop this morning and spoke with a fabricator. He said that 28-30GA is pretty thin and is likely to "oil can" when the system cycles. He said that they use some sort of reinforced (ribbed) metal to combat this problem (in addition to the thicker material). I asked for a price and it was $7 less than Lowes and $11 less than HD per 4ft section.
jrref likes this.
post #1174 of 1174 Old 06-30-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 107
30 gauge ducts are economy or residential, and are often prefab.
24/26 gauge ducts are more commercial, and/or custom fabricated. Anything over 12 inch diameter I'd try this gauge. For much larger consider 22 gauge.
I know of a 30 gauge main trunk in a home, that gives duct banging issues ('oil can' pops) when the system cycles. Visitors say 'the house makes strange noises'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page