Nabukicks Theater Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You are right, it does look good and the room is shaping up nicely.

Jonny 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Time for an update. A lot has happened in the past week and a half since last post.

* Got the drywall completely finished, sanded, and cleaned up. Overall I was fairly pleased with the outcome for my first time ever doing drywall. There were a couple spots that didn't look great on the walls, but the plan is to have the whole wall covered up at the end of the project (see question below.)
* Primed everything which was very quick and easy (I'm a professional painter.) Wall color is ballpark, but not exact to what I want. I just picked a close blue color off the shelf real quick to get the primer tinted. Ceiling primer is grey, but will end up being black.
* Crown molding is up. I did a quick test with some LED rope light that I had behind my current screen, but wasn't happy with being able to see the individual lights up on the wall.
* Subfloor laid. Used Platon underlayment with OSB over top, attached with Tapcon screws. I debated hard whether to skip this expense or go through with it. In the end, I had already purchased the supplies and know there will be time when we may have people sitting on the floor. Wanted to keep it nice and warm during our cold MN winters.
* Hung entry door, mechanical/equipment room door, and equipment rack access door. I paid a grand total of $25 for the 3 oak doors being used in the theater. Entry door was reused from same spot before theater project, the other two were $10 and $15 in the Menards clearance section due to tiny chunks out of an edge. I even cut off the bad spot on the small door. Best part is all 3 almost match exactly. I was pumped to find that deal. Doors in pictures still have the finish I received them in. I plan to cover all 3 to match walls.

Next up is to figure out how I want to finish off the snack bar, and build that. Also need to decide If I want to stick with one row of theater chairs with a bar in back, or do a riser behind chairs with a couch or additional seating of some sort. Leaning towards a bar so I can pull back the main seats away from the screen a bit, and also have a more convenient place to eat food while watching a movie. My goal is to be finished with the build by June 1st. Summer is quickly coming and things will get very busy soon! Hopefully I can meet my deadline.

I do have a couple questions regarding the walls. For the side and rear walls I would like to do a chair rail with wood detailing underneath. Above that is where I am undecided. I am thinking fabric panels with GOM. Would I kill too much sound if I have 1" OC703 behind all the panels? What else is recommended here. I see lots of different ideas and methods, but not sure what is best for a budget build.
For behind the screen, can I get by with using This insulation on the walls? I know Linacoustic or &)# is typically used, but again, trying to save some $$.

Thanks for looking and for any advice you can give on the wall finishing!

Standing in snack bar looking towards screen wall

Standing in back corner looking towards screen wall.

Standing behind where screen will be looking towards seating.

Back corner looking towards doors. Notice how all three styles match. Not bad for Menards clearance.
post #33 of 33 Old 08-29-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Over 4 months since last update. Summer was busy with the usual stuff, as well as getting ready for our first child due mid-October. I was able to find enough time to get the room to 95% "finished." Just a few things to finish up and clean up, but we are already enjoying the room. (which means it will likely stay at 95% for a long time.)

Still to do:
- Two way masking system for 16:9 and 2.35:1 ratios
- Build 2 SI 18" subs (arrive on Wednesday)
- Build 4 Volt 10 surround speakers
- clean up equipment rack
- touch up some paint
- finish trim and paint on outside of entry door

It was a long process. I remember thinking during the first week or so, "I can't believe how long it takes some of the guys on AVS to finish their room. At this pace, I'll be done in 2 months." That was back in January... Nevertheless, it ended up taking quite a bit longer than I had planned, and more expensive than I want to know. I kept all the receipts for purchases, but haven't input them in my excel spreadsheet for the past 3-4 months. I'm scared to. This was supposed to be a budget build, but I'm afraid that I spent myself out of that category.

I did save money by doing 100% of the room by myself. I don't even want to know how much weight I carried up the driveway, into the house, and down two half-flights of stairs. I learned a lot as I went, and really enjoyed all of it. Already thinking about what I will do differently in our next home someday.

Anyways, no one cares about my rambling, here's some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	236209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	236217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	236225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1440.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	236233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	236241  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	236249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	236257  

Last edited by Nabukicks; 08-29-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs2 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Polk Audio Monitor 40 Am4025 A 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page