Time for an update. A lot has happened in the past week and a half since last post.
* Got the drywall completely finished, sanded, and cleaned up. Overall I was fairly pleased with the outcome for my first time ever doing drywall. There were a couple spots that didn't look great on the walls, but the plan is to have the whole wall covered up at the end of the project (see question below.)
* Primed everything which was very quick and easy (I'm a professional painter.) Wall color is ballpark, but not exact to what I want. I just picked a close blue color off the shelf real quick to get the primer tinted. Ceiling primer is grey, but will end up being black.
* Crown molding is up. I did a quick test with some LED rope light that I had behind my current screen, but wasn't happy with being able to see the individual lights up on the wall.
* Subfloor laid. Used Platon underlayment with OSB over top, attached with Tapcon screws. I debated hard whether to skip this expense or go through with it. In the end, I had already purchased the supplies and know there will be time when we may have people sitting on the floor. Wanted to keep it nice and warm during our cold MN winters.
* Hung entry door, mechanical/equipment room door, and equipment rack access door. I paid a grand total of $25 for the 3 oak doors being used in the theater. Entry door was reused from same spot before theater project, the other two were $10 and $15 in the Menards clearance section due to tiny chunks out of an edge. I even cut off the bad spot on the small door. Best part is all 3 almost match exactly. I was pumped to find that deal. Doors in pictures still have the finish I received them in. I plan to cover all 3 to match walls.
Next up is to figure out how I want to finish off the snack bar, and build that. Also need to decide If I want to stick with one row of theater chairs with a bar in back, or do a riser behind chairs with a couch or additional seating of some sort. Leaning towards a bar so I can pull back the main seats away from the screen a bit, and also have a more convenient place to eat food while watching a movie. My goal is to be finished with the build by June 1st. Summer is quickly coming and things will get very busy soon! Hopefully I can meet my deadline.
I do have a couple questions regarding the walls. For the side and rear walls I would like to do a chair rail with wood detailing underneath. Above that is where I am undecided. I am thinking fabric panels with GOM. Would I kill too much sound if I have 1" OC703 behind all the panels? What else is recommended here. I see lots of different ideas and methods, but not sure what is best for a budget build.
For behind the screen, can I get by with using This insulation
on the walls? I know Linacoustic or &)# is typically used, but again, trying to save some $$.
Thanks for looking and for any advice you can give on the wall finishing!
Standing in snack bar looking towards screen wall
Standing in back corner looking towards screen wall.
Standing behind where screen will be looking towards seating.
Back corner looking towards doors. Notice how all three styles match. Not bad for Menards clearance.