Need advice/help with wall, molding and rope light colors with black ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been working on my first theater (converting a large bedroom) for a long time now and am approaching the end of it. The hardest part has been picking the colors for the wall and molding. I have a flat black ceiling and I was thinking of doing a dark natural wood stain for the molding:

Here is a picture of part of the room with my crown molding propped up next to some paint samples. The current wall color is ugly.

I've read of several people doing brown walls with the black ceiling, which sounds nice so I put some grey/brown samples we had laying around on the wall. What are your opinions? Is the molding dark enough, or should I get a darker stain? Is brown a good color, or should I go with another color? I plan on replacing the blinds with black to match the ceiling and black outlet plates. Do people typically make the wall their screen is on also black, or do they make all the walls the same color?

Also, for the crown molding and riser steps, would you recommend led rope lighting or led light strips? These are the ones I was thinking about getting and plugging into an insteon dimmer:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/100862/FT2-L120WH38150.html
Will cool white look good with the other colors?

Thanks for the advice/help.
Brady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any thoughts? I've got a feeling that I messed up trying to go with a brown wall and brown crown...
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am at a similar phase now too and am struggling smile.gif. Good luck and post pictures!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I went with a brownish color called fossil for my walls. Has a good look when the lights are turned on, and is very dark with the lights off.

As for lights, if you go with the LED strips, most of those can't be dimmed with traditional dimmers. The strips come with their own dimmer control module, so you just power them on and use a different remote. The Rope LEDs probably work differently and plug right in, so those might be able to be controlled with an Insteon dimmer.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page