House Basement dedicated theater design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've posted a few times regarding the design of my basement in this and the general game room forums, so here is a new thread with the (very close to) final design:

This plan provides for a dedicated theater that is approximately 27' x 13' x (8' - 8'11") before finishing. All measurements will be reduced by furring channel, DD + GG, and the 27 foot length will be greatly reduced by the need to keep the egress window accessible in what will become storage behind the screen wall. The height in the back of the theater all the way to the beam (shown in the drawing) is 8'11" to the first floor joists. The height is reduced to 7'10" beneath the beam and the HVAC that runs across the theater between the beam and the screen wall area. 13' width should provide for comfortable 3 seating in each row, and enough length for a bar seating as the third row. Entrance to the theater will be at the rear with level elevation to the landing for the stairs outside the theater. AV rack will be beneath the stairs - either visible to the theater (more sound-proofing challenges), visible to the rest of the basement, or hidden beneath the stairs. I want to isolate and sound-proof the room enough that I can enjoy a movie: 1) noisy kids outside and above the theater won't disrupt those inside, and 2) theater sounds won't annoy or wake the rest of the family. I don't expect this theater to be perfect in terms of anything (sound proofing, acoustical performance, size), but I want it to be very good or better in as many aspects as possible.

So my biggest question right now is: what would you do around the two obstacles shown in the right wall of the theater to maintain a very good level of isolation and sound-proofing: breaker box near near the bar, and egress window behind the screen?

If you're curious about the rest of the basement, exercise room is in the upper left of the picture. Pool table and shuffleboard are shown in the main living area opposite the bar. Wine racking will be enclosed in a glass shell near the stairs and partially visible from three sides. Built-in bookshelf and storage off the stairs in the game area. No bathroom. Storage in three areas: behind exercise room, beneath stairs (depending on AV rack location), and behind screen wall.

How close can the speakers be in the false wall to the AT screen?

Thanks,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The speakers should be 6" off the backside of the AT screen to avoid timbre shifting. That effect is gone
at 6".

Have you looked at your furnace manual to see what service requirements it needs in terms of clearances?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

We have 37 inches of clearance in front of the furnace, and inch more than required so in good shape there.

Any tips or reference to a good build thread for mounting the screen that far away from the baffle wall? I was assuming to hang it on the wall.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

After conversations with Ted at the SoundproofingCompany (thank you), I will go with a double stud installation on all walls. This will cost me 4.5 inches on the width and 3 inches on the depth, worth it to me for the isolation advantage. I just have to not screw up the doors, window, and other holes in the shell now. Hat channel on the ceiling only, DD+GG on ceiling and walls. Both contractors I've interviewed so far weren't too excited about laying two layers of 5/8 drywall on the ceiling. Interesting conversation going on now on the soundproofing master thread with doors, so I am still undecided on door construction.

I will use the area behind the screen wall- approximately 12'4"x8'x(7'7"-8'7") for the AV rack. This will allow me to keep all the AV wiring within the isolated shell. Lots of soffits to be had.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

So my wife asked me if I am still planning to "do one of those weird speaker rooms for the subwoofers" and I said to myself - why the hell did I not think of that. So long story short, I had planned an IB chamber when I had the dedicated theater designed for the other side of the basement. The the design went to open plan - no dedicated theater. Now we're back to dedicated (for sound isolation -again to my wife's satisfaction) on the other side of the basement, so let's go back to the glorious IB sub idea.

Can anyone with experience of the IB system answer a couple questions:

Any concern with the AV equipment being inside the IB chamber? My concern is for all the vibration the equipment will have to endure.

For the baffle wall- how secured/attached or isolated does it need to be (to floor, to walls, to ceiling, to IB manifolds, to LCR speakers or their shelf/enclosure)? The traditional baffle wall design as I understand it would frame pretty close to the LCR and traditional sealed or ported subs, and provide a closer fit with acoustic material, but use just shelves for the LCR and the subs most likely right on the stage or floor. If the floor is to be isolated from the walls throughout the theater, I would assume to isolate the baffle wall from the theater walls and ceiling while attaching the baffle wall directly to the floor. Turning the space behind the baffle wall into an IB chamber may change some of this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

So I will build an AV closet within the IB chamber to protect the equipment rack. I'm still not clear on the baffle wall and LCR speaker arrangement.

Can anybody provide insight on this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhouse View Post

For the baffle wall- how secured/attached or isolated does it need to be (to floor, to walls, to ceiling, to IB manifolds, to LCR speakers or their shelf/enclosure)? The traditional baffle wall design as I understand it would frame pretty close to the LCR and traditional sealed or ported subs, and provide a closer fit with acoustic material, but use just shelves for the LCR and the subs most likely right on the stage or floor. If the floor is to be isolated from the walls throughout the theater, I would assume to isolate the baffle wall from the theater walls and ceiling while attaching the baffle wall directly to the floor. Turning the space behind the baffle wall into an IB chamber may change some of this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page