Media Room with USB Wall Plates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We are building an addition to our house and I have managed to squeeze a 21 x 13 foot room in for a theater room.  I am building a A/V closet in the back of the room and it will have a gaming PC and PS3/PS4.  I have tons of various USB controllers I use for all my PC games so I can't go totally wireless.  I'm thinking of putting in some USB wall plates with Keystone jacks and running 30 to 40 foot USB cables through the walls back to the A/V closet.  Probably do a 6 port jack on each side of the sofa.  Each jack will have four USB cables running to the PC, one to the PS3 and one to the PS4 (for a total of 8 to the PC, 2 to the PS3 and 2 to the PS4).  Any thoughts on this setup?  This is a crude sketch I just made.  The circle is around the USB plate and a power outlet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 368
By itself, USB cabling is limited to only about 15 ft. Beyond that, the signal and power are too attenuated to work.

You'll need to run dedicated Cat-6 cables and use USB extenders. e.g. http://www.amazon.com/X-Keys-USB-Extender/dp/B004UHX54M

Selden
post #3 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 AM

I've used one of these USB repeater cables to run from my media closet, up into the attic and down below my screen for my Kinect and it works perfectly:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VG39BI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #4 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

By itself, USB cabling is limited to only about 15 ft. Beyond that, the signal and power are too attenuated to work.

You'll need to run dedicated Cat-6 cables and use USB extenders. e.g. http://www.amazon.com/X-Keys-USB-Extender/dp/B004UHX54M

+1

Raw USB only works reliably up to 15 feet. You need repeaters for what you want to do.

The built in repeater extension cords noted above seem to work. I have a 30 footer from Monorpice for my USB microphone I use for room calibrations and it works fine. But for your application CAT5/6 repeaters are a better solution.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #5 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  I didn't even think about USB over Ethernet. 

post #6 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the USB over Ethernet cables or the USB extension cables with repeater will allow devices to charge?  I'd like to be able to plug my PS3/PS4 controllers into the jack when their batteries are low and keep on playing.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywv1981 View Post

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  I didn't even think about USB over Ethernet. 

That's another kettle of fish entirely wink.gif "USB over Ethernet" and "USB using Cat6 cables" are different kinds of devices. The first use an existing network with switches, routers, etc; while the latter require their own dedicated cables. I didn't suggest USB over Etherenet because the (industrial) ones I was familiar with are a lot more expensive and require installing drivers in the host computer. They probably wouldn't work with game machines.

On the other hand, I just discovered that there also are inexpensive USB extenders which happen to go over ethernet, too, like http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/826275/Tripp-Lite-USB-Ethernet-Extender/

Selden
post #8 of 10 Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywv1981 View Post

Does anyone know if the USB over Ethernet cables or the USB extension cables with repeater will allow devices to charge?  I'd like to be able to plug my PS3/PS4 controllers into the jack when their batteries are low and keep on playing.

That'd depend on the specific USB extender. You'll need to check their power specifications.

For example, the TrippLite USB-over-etherenet extender that I found uses a 2 Amp wall-wart power supply, so it should be OK for charging devices. I believe that one which doesn't require an external power supply would not be usable as a charger: it'd already be using what little power is reaching it from the source to run its own electronics.

Of course, you could add on an external powered USB hub to handle the charging in the latter case.

Selden
post #9 of 10 Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for all the info.  I'm now leaning toward making some custom built in shelves under the screen instead of an A/V closet which would eliminate the need for the USB cables in the wall.  This would be more future proof as well.  Thinking of doing something like this....

post #10 of 10 Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget that if you include an audio/video receiver and/or amplifiers that they'll need lots of space around them so that air can circulate. Otherwise, people have had to resort to adding external fans to keep their equipment cool.

Selden
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page