Pre wire question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New here and the dedicated HT, hopefully an easy answer...

I just had a theater pre wired for 7.2 surround in a house we are building, and the wiring professional labeled the wires. The labels read: front, rear, side, sub front, sub rear, incoming, and source/projector. All of these are clear to me except 'incoming'. Is this another name for center, or is this something else I'm not thinking of (and perhaps the center wires are grouped with the front speakers)?

Thanks for the help!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can't say I've heard the term "incoming" for a speaker wire. Can you share the total number of wires you have and maybe a picture? Also, are the all the same type? For example, is the sub a speaker wire or is it a signal wire such as an RCA style patch cable?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 746
I'd ask the guy who did it.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Yeah, you need to see what types of wires each of those are - I suspect the "incoming" is a cat5e/cat6 cable coming from the wiring center...

And BIG is correct - if you PAID for a PRO to install - he should be answering your questions about his work.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely inspect the wires a little closer the next time I'm out at the site. I'll also ask the company before I write the check. I'm having them run a conduit from the basement to the attic for future in ceiling speakers for various rooms of the house sourced by basement equipment, so they're not totally done yet. They're not too responsive to email, and I was trying to find the answer myself which led me here.*

I suspect Jautor is right...I do recall they were going to run some control wires for a Control 4 type of setup...assuming that would use cat5/cat6. So my assumption is they bundled the center with the front left/right speaker wiring.

* Glad I ended up here, I've been checking out the finished theatre thread, which confirms I've got a lot of work to do, and a lot of expense ahead of me to get what we want looking halfway decent.

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH-81 View Post

I'm having them run a conduit from the basement to the attic for future in ceiling speakers for various rooms of the house sourced by basement equipment, so they're not totally done yet.

If you know you're going to install speakers, run the wires now. You want that conduit clear and free for the future - meaning - what you don't know you want now...
Quote:
I do recall they were going to run some control wires for a Control 4 type of setup...assuming that would use cat5/cat6.

Uh... if you think they're wiring for a Control4 system or other automation, there had better be a bunch more cabling around...

A single cat5e/cat6 wire coming into the room is likely for phone or Ethernet purposes.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

If I knew I was going to run speakers on the main level, I would go ahead and run the wire to those spots.  However not really sure where I might want them, etc.  So, they ran the conduit with a lead wire in the conduit so they can later attach the wire and pull it through.

Confirmed that the 'incoming' wires are a coax and cat 5e cable, for cable tv and phone according to the installer (not sure what the cat 5e will be used for in that room, or what would need a phone connection...if it is for Ethernet that makes more sense I think)

Thanks for all of the help!

Jim