Alright, go build something...Lewis Family Cinema 2.0 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Green is a go:

As I said, its not pretty yet but fully functional

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 05-18-2014, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've been interested in RS232 functionality for awhile now and haven't yet began to research it (mostly as my 3yr old is so demanding!) What is required to get everything functioning together like that? I believed it all worked through your av amplifier naively but this isn't the case now I found as you need some kind of controller.

Question is which kind and where can I pick one up and learn to program irule?

Sure would save me some money breaking away from a control4 system.

post #63 of 77 Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The pieces depend on your devices. You are correct that you need a control device such as a tablet or smartphone. I would suggest visiting iRule.com and signing up for the free 30 day trial and going through the tutorials. This thread is another good source of info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1351981/irule/0_90

I am far from the best person to comment much more on iRule as i've just scratched the surface and have a lot to learn. In my particular case, all of my devices were IP controllable except my oppo. I have a Sony tablet with the iRule app that controls everything else directly through IP. For the oppo, I have a GC itach that converts IP signals from the tablet to IR signals to control the oppo. Now that i can control everything, i need to learn how get more out of and customize iRule.

Good luck in your research.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #64 of 77 Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's update time. In the month since my last post in my thread, I've spent a lot of time with my iRule remote. I'd guess I'm about 75% finished. Deewan dropped by for a visit to get me jump started. A few glasses of some of Kentucky's finest bourbon with a splash of lemonade, a few weeks of tinkering here and there, a (mostly adhered to) vow not to bug Deewan too much and I have this:

I can't seem to get my SI BD LED panel to control anything. Luckily, my xperia tablet has an IR port that easily learned the LED codes and works perfectly.

Lot's of testing left but iRule seems to work quite well so far.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #65 of 77 Old 06-20-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Looks great! So glad you are getting the room completely controlled with iRule. It's a great product and I now recommend it to nearly everyone I help! You know you can always bug me for help. That's what I am here for. Plus as long as you keep that whiskey flowing, I am ALWAYS eager to stop by to help.

Side note: After talk of the whiskey/lemonade combo, I'm thirsty now. Guess I'll have to pour one on my way to the golf course!
kjlewie likes this.
post #66 of 77 Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Remote looks good! I am not much of a whiskey guy, but whiskey and lemonade sounds intriguing. Might have to try that just to see what it tastes like. Seems like it would taste like a whiskey sour or close to it. Those are not that bad though.
post #67 of 77 Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. Coming from the harmony 900 in 1.0, iRule seems incredibly capable and versatile for $200. Initially, I was really intimidated by the learning curve, but now I'm looking forward to learning more.

Pain, let me know what you think of your first whiskey lemonade. This may be a good place to start...

deewan likes this.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #68 of 77 Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm long overdue for an update. Late last summer, a few of us were over on the "Iowa Meet?" thread discussing potential projects for my HT when the topic turned to a NAS. After lots of chats, research and coming up with a list of needed pieces, I asked Santa if I could build a NAS for Christmas (like I said, I'm overdue for an update). SHE said yes so I ordered my bits and started building as soon as everything arrived.

My setup includes:
1. Synology Diskstation ds213j;
2. Western Digital 3TB hd (x2);
3. Samsung external BD writer (returned and replaced by the much faster Asus external BD writer);
4. MakeMVK software;
5. Mede8er med600x3d

Everthing is connected through my home network via ethernet. The Mede8er is playing through HDMI. Here are some of the pics I took during the build:

Synology ds213j and Western Digital 3TB hds

Mede8er med600x3d media player

Samsung external BD writer

The Mede8er has a title scraper that organizes the movies and shows them as posters

Access from a touch of a button to about 200 BD movies in full surround is very cool. So far, I've used about 5TB out of 6TB capacity so of course I agree with early advice that I should have gone larger to start. But, the neat thing about the Synology is that I can easily add another one for more storage. HOOray MOOvies!
deewan, quamosa and GWCR like this.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #69 of 77 Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The upgrade/madness train continues to roll...

After selling my previous rear DIY subs, for replacements I decided to turn to ID subs in hopes of higher WAF at a still somewhat reasonable $$ cost. I went with one of my favorite form factor subs in the PSA S3000i dual opposed subs. I chose duals in American Cherry veneer, which most closely matched our woodwork. These showed up around my birthday, so my wife and daughter decided to dress them in a more festive look for me when I got home work:

They magically moved through the garage and down to the HT while I just stood and took pics

I got a little more involved during the unboxing of the first sub:

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #70 of 77 Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd noticed some damage to the second box when i got home from work but I didn't think much of it:

Sure enough, I found damage to the sub. It wasn't structural the sub functions fine. It was not that bad if it were destined for a dark corner or behind an AT screen. But, since these subs will be in the open, the damage required a replacement.

During my research while looking for new subs, I came across a lot of commentary about the quality of the customer service at PSA. Still, I was thoroughly impress with how painlessly and quickly Tom got me a replacement sub, especially considering the extra lead time for the veneer. The new sub arrived in excellent condition

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0

Last edited by kjlewie; 05-29-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #71 of 77 Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I placed the new subs nearfield to seats with the drivers firing into both rooms

After some discussion with Tom at PSA we arrived at a fair price for the damage sub so I decided to keep all three
My WAF went way down with 3 subs spread around the room so I decided to stack them and have a listen for a few weeks while I decide where to place them.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet to look at a tower of bass (even with the white towels under the feet) But, I'm more interested in base quality than I am in quantity so I picked up one of these to tune everything after watching Archaea use it at our recent Iowa HT Crawl:

Hoping to get some measurements done this weekend.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #72 of 77 Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Once again, I thank you for posting photos. Any time my wife starts complaining about what I buy or do in my theater, I just pull up your thread and show her some pictures. She then realizes how good she has it. But the true moral to this story is, you have an amazingly cool wife.

Once you get things dialed in I want to come over and hear the setup. I hope to have my theater put back together in about 3 weeks. My latest speaker build is getting final wet sanding done this weekend and will be ready for final paint shortly after.
kjlewie likes this.
post #73 of 77 Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha! Yes she is awesome. But, I don't think she will tolerate a stack of three subs for very long. Best to figure something else out.

Remember, you have a standing invite. Got some measurements done yesterday. I'll post it in a bit.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #74 of 77 Old 06-01-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The pics tell the story better than I could.

Got some time to measure my subs this weekend and got this:

I'm not an expert but that looks like a pretty solid response to 5 Hz.

I measured these:

and these:

with this:

and EQ'd everything with Audyssey via my 8001.

Next up is running the same drill with all three S3000i stacked in the corner...
deewan likes this.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #75 of 77 Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Awesome! Wish I lived closer to you kj I would love to check out 2.0

I hope to post some updates to my Theater thread soon
kjlewie likes this.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #76 of 77 Old 06-07-2015, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Scott. If you were closer we definately would crank up a demo and get some drivers moving. You never know, one of these days may find us visiting HTs farther and wider. I'd love to check out NE and KC among other places.

Looking forward to your updates to the CopperFields thread...one of my original favorites!

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #77 of 77 Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I set up the OmniMic to measure the bass response with the PSA's stacked in the corner and got this:

I got that response before re-running Audyssey so I expect there is at least incremental room for improvement. I had to delay re-running Audyssey because we watched Guardians of the Galaxy but the sound was fantastic. It was nice to match the measured response to the actual bass performance in the room.

As I test my wife's patience, I expect the triple stack of subs won't last but now I'm confident they will sound great wherever I (we) decide to place them. Most likely some variation of the two positions that measured so well.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 , Sony Vpl Vw600es , Paradigm Studio Cc 590 , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page