Planning a Home Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-08-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking and searching this thread for some time now, and finally I wanted to ask some questions. I'm meeting with a builder soon and I wanted to have some ideas of room size for my theater. Here is my equipment list that either intend to purchase or have already. I want to also add a acoustically transparent screen to the list so suggestions are welcome on that one.

The basement is going to be finished so I can pretty much have any size room that I want. However budget will keep me from going crazy. My budget is going to be about 10K. I have in mind some custom seating that my wife wants. The custom seating is going to be wood pallets that are sanded and painted, these will be standard 36"x36"x5" wood pallets with some cushions on top. This will be made into three rows with the front row being one high, second row two pallets high, and the third row being three pallets high. So first question on this is going to be should I build risers on the floor for the seating to get the pallets to a certain height for best viewing?

I intend to have the projector mounted on the ceiling, I was looking to get an Epson 5020, it seems to be very popular and has great reviews. The room will be used to watch mostly movies but probably sports and perhaps some gaming. The house is going to have 9' ceilings in the basement. I was thinking about getting a falcon screen in the 138" diagonal 2.35:1 size and aspect ratio.

As far as audio equipment goes I will be using my current setup.

AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH
Main Speakers: Def Tech BP7004
Center: Def Tech CLR2300
Surrounds: Def Tech Studio Monitor 45's
Sub: Def Tech Powerfield 10"

The sub will most likely change, perhaps sell it and get a pair of something. Suggestions welcome on this as well.

With my current budget and having my primary contractor frame out the room for me, what dimensions would you all suggest? It would be great to get a sound isolated room in a room but I think that will be outside of my budget.

Thanks in advance
Erik

PS I'm in the Northern Colorado area so if anyone has experience with a local theater installer that would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I did do some homework, just tinkering around with some various calculators around here I came up with these dimensions.

Room Dimensions 14.24 Width x 20.73 Length x 8.9 Height
post #3 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I would recommend 2 subs for a room of your size. Budget for subs? I suggest 2 SVS PB 2000's. SVS has free shipping and gives you 45 days to try out the subs risk free. They are highly reviewed and have fantastic customer service. Rythmic, HSU, Outlaw, and PSA are other brands to consider. I would try to stay with 2 subs due to the size of the room.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #4 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can you post a floorplan of the space you have to work with?

Since you have multiple rows, yes you do need the rear rows to be on risers, so you have clear sight lines.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying on this. We are in the process of selecting a floor plan now, so I can't give you anything just yet but as soon as I do I'll let you know. The plans we have are all about the same 1400 sq ft unfinished but how that's arranged I don't know.

What height is the average listening position at? I may be to aggressive with this room size, perhaps I should shrink it to a smaller screen.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-14-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so here is an image of the basement layout. Ignore how they have the rooms layed out, that's just one possible layout. I am thinking of two bedrooms, a full bathroom and then the theater room. Leaving about 500 Sq ft unfinished for storage and for the equipment room.

I am also starting to think based on my budget that this is going to be too large of a room. I don't want anything too fancy, I want to have my speakers hidden behind the screen and with a budget of 10k. I'm just wondering with construction costs and all that this might be too much.

Thoughts?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Would one bedroom work for you?

Is there to be a wet bar?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

It's 1400 Sq ft down there, so I would like to have one bedroom, my office, a bathroom and then the theater. This is what the architect drew down there, but other than where the walls are the basement is a blank slate for us. Nothing is set in stone for where the water heater, furnace, bathroom or anything are setup.

What were you thinking, I could arrange things?
post #9 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

1bedroom.jpg 116k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1bedroom.jpg (115.8 KB, 27 views)
post #10 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Take Tedds and flip the room 180, bring the door to the side of the theater opposite the tub Enter ahead of the first row at ground level. Continue to use the equipment area and control with RF.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys.

This is what I had layed out myself. My apologies for the crude model. I'm just starting to learn Sketchup to help me build this thing.

Theater is 14w X 22'10"L X 9'H

A/V Room is 9'L X 3'7" W

Bedrooms are roughly 15 X 12

Bathroom is 9 X 8

Storage/Unfinished is 19 X 8
post #12 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

That layout was pretty much my first thought (with much less space given over to hallways...).

Bigger bed room, Big's room flip with your longer room. Stretched the bath room and the furnace room a few inches.

1bedroomB.jpg 120k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1bedroomB.jpg (120.2 KB, 12 views)
post #13 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I like that layout you did. I don't think we're going to do a bar or anything so I can put an office there. That would put the room at about 31' x 14'. With a 14' foot wide room and the pallets being 6' wide that would give plenty of room for an aisle on both sides of the room.

This almost seems like an impossible task so much has to go into it. Having a layout for the room is just the start. I think I need a checklist or something to make sure I don't miss anything in the planning process.

Does anyone have a material cost estimate per sq ft for all the materials needed? I would imagine I would need lumber for framing, insulation, wood screws, quietclips, furring channel, drywall, drywall screws, green glue, silent seal, drywall compound and tape. I would probably need to do smurf tubing for speaker wire and HDMI cable. What am I missing?

I can do most of the labor myself and I have a lot of friends who can frame, drywall, as well as two guys who are licensed electricians so labor isn't going to be a huge factor in the total cost just trying to get my head around this monster of a project.

I really appreciate all of you helping me out here.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

a few other ideas mixed in...

1bedroomD.jpg 115k .jpg file

You can break down the steps to finish a basement. Framing, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, drywall...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1bedroomD.jpg (115.0 KB, 12 views)
post #15 of 18 Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

a few other ideas...

1bedroomE.jpg 114k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1bedroomE.jpg (114.3 KB, 13 views)
post #16 of 18 Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

So we're finally starting on the new house. Foundation guys are pouring concrete today. I guess it's time to put a plan together for this theater room. Budget for this theater is 10K.

Parts left to get with that 10K budget are.

130" Falcon Screen FVHDS120 $1350
JVC DLA-X35 $3K

Which really leaves me with a budget of $5600 to build a room.

My contractor is framing, drywalling, and installing electrical and HVAC in the room already so that portion is taken care of. Dedicated 20 amp circuit for the home theater.

I'm going to try and do as much of the low voltage work as I can, I was going to run smurf tubing in the ceiling for the projector for whatever HDMI change that comes down the road. Smurf tube in the walls as well for speaker wire.

I have some carpenter friends who will help me build a stage, riser, and soffit for the room.

I have attached a drawing of the basement layout and where the theater is going to be. This is not set in stone mind you, but the locations of things are set although walls can be pushed around a little. I intend to place my equipment rack in the unfinished portion of the basement. I was thinking of shrinking the closet for the bedroom and installing a stair and door there for getting into the theater. Two rows of seating for the theater.

My questions have to do more with room acoustics and lighting as well as some design. I saw a post the other day about the Erskine Group and I may pursue this option if I need more clarity on stuff.

The mode calculators I have looked at don't look too bad, but I would defer to the experts for clarity.

So after having said all that, where have I gone wrong, right, what do you guys think?
post #17 of 18 Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, image didn't attach.

post #18 of 18 Old Today, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Bump for some feedback on room size and such. Thanks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Vsx 92txh Elite Home Theater A V Receiver , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page