The Bass for the 98% DIY build. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Starting to look like an honest to goodness screenwall here people!!
I finished installing the linacoustic and slid my the two front subs into place. Also finished stuffing the soffits with pink fluff.

galaxyluv likes this.

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

My Build http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510721/the-bass-for-the-98-diy-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.  I wanted to put my sub exactly where you are, but was too worried about the corner placement. I have read putting the sub in the corner is really, really bad.  How did you decide it would be ok to do that? I am building my own theater right now too, and I am close to where you are on your progress.

I only have one subwoofer though, if that makes a difference.

Also, if you don't mind, I would love to know more about your soffit and material used.  I am struggling with what to do on that right now.  Yours look great.  Are you leaving them just like they are in the images? no sheetrock or anything?  I noticed they are painted.  What is that material???

Thank  you so much!!!!!

paul

post #33 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM

By the way, I know you are going to cover the insulation part of the soffit, what I mean was what will  you do with the black part you have already painted.  I would also love to see a few more detailed photos of how you built those if you have any pix.  Sorry to trouble you, but yours look awesome!!  :)

post #34 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkvanOger View Post

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.  I wanted to put my sub exactly where you are, but was too worried about the corner placement. I have read putting the sub in the corner is really, really bad.  How did you decide it would be ok to do that? I am building my own theater right now too, and I am close to where you are on your progress.

In the case of having four subwoofers ( as I do) there are several options for placement that can give good results ( even bass response at more seating locations thruout the room).
As far as placing four subs in the corners that can boost the bass because corners tend to boost the bass produced by the subs ( relative to other locations in the room). Because you only have one sub you may have the issue of having good bass in one seat and no bass in the set next to it because of the way bass frequencies function in most home theater size rooms. this is a pretty big discussion to get into honestly (that being the placement of subwoofers in rooms. In this case the search button is your friend. With regards to my case I started this thread regarding sub placement/ basstrap placement for four subwoofers herehttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1500505/question-about-quad-sub-placement-vs-bass-trap-placement.

You can also try this http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/subwoofer-placement-guidelines as a beginning point in your search for what your solution will be.

I only have one subwoofer though, if that makes a difference.

Also, if you don't mind, I would love to know more about your soffit and material used.  I am struggling with what to do on that right now.  Yours look great.  Are you leaving them just like they are in the images? no sheetrock or anything?  I noticed they are painted.  What is that material???

My soffits are made with 2x4 lumber and 3/4" MDF. I you notice in my soffits the open sections that currently have exposed fluffy pink insulation will be covered with frames wrapped in acoustically transparent fabric. The purpose is to use this area for bass trapping. A form of acoustic treatment that should improve the bass response in the room. Stay tuned and as I update yo will see how those come together. but you can see a finished theater that uses a similar soffit design and has lots of good pics and details of how those were were built. here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350179/the-bacon-race-theater-patio-project

You can also read thru the builds that bigmouthinDC has helped with. Look at his signature line in the Bacon race theater build. he has several more theaters he worked on and his posts are a goldmine of information.

Thank  you so much!!!!!

paul

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

post #35 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkvanOger View Post

By the way, I know you are going to cover the insulation part of the soffit, what I mean was what will  you do with the black part you have already painted. 

It will be left as is. Well, other than finishing them up with some trim moulding and crown..

I would also love to see a few more detailed photos of how you built those if you have any pix.  Sorry to trouble you, but yours look awesome!!  smile.gif
Dont really have too many detailed photos but will do some digging.... But I got my ideas on how to build my sofffits from the Bacon race theater build and the Cinemar theater build (among others) . Both have great documentation. And both absolutely blow my room away!!

Ok.. here is a pic taken just after the first steps in building my soffits.
Step 1. screw a 2X4 to the cieling.
Step 2.screw 2X4 to wall

step2. Cut 4'X8' sheets of MDF into several 9" wide X 8' long boards.
Step 3. Screw mdf sheet to 2X4 to create the vertical face of the soffits.

After that I needed to add another MDF Board horizontally screwed to the vertical mdf board that was hanging off the 2X4 that was screwed to the cieling. (sorry dont have interim pics of this.)

The final step was to add horizontal supports ( 2X4) from the wall mounted 2X4 to the mdf ( these horizontal 2X4's were screwed to both the vertical and horizonal mdf boards.

I also dug up some images I swiped off of some other build threads for my own reference. some of these may help to picture this all.

I believe this is from Bacon race( but I could be wrong). .

This one I dont exactly remember what build this is from but it gives you a goofd idea on one way to build soffits. ( if anyone recognizes it feel free to credit it to the OP

post #36 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 581
That is my napkin sketch, not the Bacon Race similar to the Ohio build.
post #37 of 68 Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yep.. It hit me in the shower that it might not be Bacon Race. Sorry.. You just have sooo much info out there it's hard to keep it straight. ( Thank Goodness for us that you do have so much documented!!)

post #38 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 06:09 AM

I can't thank you enough for all that information. That is so helpful to have all that.  I am trying to decide on whether I want a wood look, like you have, or just sheet rock.  This is kind of what I had envisioned....

The other reason I am leaning towards sheetrock is that I am going to uses radius corners and flexible crown.

If you can think of any reason that this sheetrock might cause some horrible problem, please feel free to speak up.

Thanks again!!!

Paul

post #39 of 68 Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Im with you Paul, good information. Clarified some issues with the soffits.

Have a Happy and safe New Year!!!
post #40 of 68 Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Why pink fluffy instead of owens corning 703? What frequency range does that stuff absorb?

Blazar!
post #41 of 68 Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm no expert but have gathered enough info to say this. The oc703 type stuff seems to get recommended for smaller /narrower absorption panels . In bass traps that means Super Chunk style traps or smaller. Once you get thicker than about 9"+ it starts to make sense to use the pink fluffy stuff. Once you get to thick ( 9"+) bass traps the lower gas flow resistivity in the pink fluffy makes for a good solution. If my traps were less thick I might using 0c703. But in my case I had room for large bass traps and it was a no brainer that pink fluffy would work better functionally as well as financially. Pink fluffy is available everywhere and is pretty darn cheap.

If ,after I start measuring the room, I find that I still need more bass trapping, I would treat the rear corners of my room. Because, aesthetically speaking, those traps could not be too large I would almost surely use OC703 in superchunk style traps. But again it all will depend on how thick we would be talking.

I did lots of reading on this on avs and some of the other sites. here is one post that sums up much of what I have read. Like anything the proof of what we do will be in the pudding.. That is I'll know if I 've screwed anything up when i start measuring.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/67926-diy-bass-trap-evolution-laymans-simple-terms.html
nathan_h likes this.

post #42 of 68 Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Man, looks great and you are blazing along!! Wish I could move at that speed....

Where in Sonoma are you?
post #43 of 68 Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIX View Post

Well I'm no expert but have gathered enough info to say this. The oc703 type stuff seems to get recommended for smaller /narrower absorption panels . In bass traps that means Super Chunk style traps or smaller. Once you get thicker than about 9"+ it starts to make sense to use the pink fluffy stuff. Once you get to thick ( 9"+) bass traps the lower gas flow resistivity in the pink fluffy makes for a good solution. If my traps were less thick I might using 0c703. But in my case I had room for large bass traps and it was a no brainer that pink fluffy would work better functionally as well as financially. Pink fluffy is available everywhere and is pretty darn cheap.

If ,after I start measuring the room, I find that I still need more bass trapping, I would treat the rear corners of my room. Because, aesthetically speaking, those traps could not be too large I would almost surely use OC703 in superchunk style traps. But again it all will depend on how thick we would be talking.

I did lots of reading on this on avs and some of the other sites. here is one post that sums up much of what I have read. Like anything the proof of what we do will be in the pudding.. That is I'll know if I 've screwed anything up when i start measuring.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/67926-diy-bass-trap-evolution-laymans-simple-terms.html

I am with you entirely... The proof is Totally in the pudding. This is the main reason I didnt go with a design firm and went with my best guess approximation.

Speakers, room, materials, all very hard to coordinate.

I cant buy speakers after designing the room and vice versa. I cant know where speakers need to go until after the room is built... So hard to build the space for them.

All we can really do is approximate it all and leave enough flexibility in the design for adjustment.

This is why I am a fan of some specific design principles:

1. Leave room to adjust main speaker positions.
2. Put in as many subs as possible to allow for adjustment later. In the future build I might just do a line of subs across the front wall ... DIY style.
3. Wire for as many channels as you can imagine ever using/wanting. Wire is cheap... Run 30 channels... Why not. There are great budget high quality surround speakers you could eventually put in.
4. The corners really cant be bass trapped enough or too much. You arent going to deaden the room if you stick to bass trapping corners/soffits.
5. Make almost all other surfaces bumpy/diffusive (many materials will be partially absorptive anyway) ... Either for the appearance of the room or specific calculated diffusion materials like quadratic diffusers/etc.
My philosophy: flat walls are the enemy, solid diffusive bumpy structures are unlikely to make it sound worse.

Blazar!
post #44 of 68 Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr View Post

Man, looks great and you are blazing along!! Wish I could move at that speed....

Where in Sonoma are you?

Thanks man!! I am in West Sonoma County.

post #45 of 68 Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Few more things gettin done here...

Put the trim/ crown up on the inner portion of the soffits/ceiling.
Here are pics of the profiles I used.

This is how the crown will sit on the inner lip of the soffits.

I also added a 1 5/8" cove to the where the ceiling/ soffit meet.

And here it is all hung.

P.S Sorry for the crappy pics. My camera sucks.

post #46 of 68 Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Also got all of the fabric frames done that will go under the soffits.

Started by ripping a bunch of 1" Birch ply into 1 3/4 wide strips.

All done on my trusty 1953 Delta Unisaw. I did a nut and bolt rebuild of it not too long ago.

Damn my garage is a mess!! But thats what happens sometimes when your "Gettin' er done!cool.gif

After ripping the ply down and cutting parts to length then I used my Kreg Pocket hole jig to put it all together. Its another killer tool to have sometimes..

1st you clamp the piece into place then drill the holes with your drill.

After drilling the holes you bring that piece over to your bench. clamp it up nice and square and flat to the mating piece .. And screw it in.

If I am by my self I will use lots of clamps and a homemade square/clamping block ( the one with all the arrows on it indicating the square edges) to get it all lined up.

post #47 of 68 Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some of the areas where i will staple the fabric to when trimming out the 3" can lights. These are also being added to the frames with pocket hole screws.

And here are some of the frames to cover up the soffit bass traps.

post #48 of 68 Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Finally today,my Pop and I got to making the frames that will go under the curved section over the screen.

And before I wrap them up in fabric I'll go along and chamfer the sharp corners where the fabric will wrap over.

I'll chamfer them ever so slightly with an old Stanley 9/12 block plane. Its an old one, but its finely tuned and kept razor sharp.

post #49 of 68 Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow nice skills, man!
post #50 of 68 Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

New pics of updated work.

Firstly I repainted the walls a slightly darker grey thats is in some of the pictures below but not all of them as some of the below pics are prior to the new paint.

I decided on Benjamin moore Regal color #1006 Creekbed in flat interior

Since last update I completed most all the fabric panels, save those that go on the screenwall itself.

here are some pics of the panels being wrapped in fabric.

Here is one of the hvac supply vent that shows how the area was built. This was to provide a backing for the fabric to be stapled to once the panel was placed under that soffit.

Here you can see the panels hung and the 4" cans trimmed out. You will also notice a small cove moulding added to give it a bit more of a finished look.

This is the hvac return still needing its cover. This entire panel is removable as it also covers the attic access. its hung with velcro. While most other panels are hung with 18 guage finish nails. the removable panel causes some issues with the cove moulding that runs the perimiter of the room but it is what it is.

Next came adding some supporting blocks to the crown moulding.

After this I began some of the work for the automated masking I will make for a Constant Image height setup.

Here is a thread I started on that.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524349/diy-cih-motorized-masking-with-somfy-lt30s

And here are some photos showing the color changing LEDs installed in the soffits and the completed trim on the soffits..

Finally I began the building of the cabinet to house the AV equipment

Here are pics of the base upon which the cabinet will be built. I am using 3/4 " birch ply and some doug fir 2X4's I milled up square for the base. Then added some 5" heavy duty casters ( 2 locking and 2 non).

one more layer of 3/4" ply was added to picture below this to make the base a sandwich of ply/DF/ply but I guess I didnt get a pic of that..

Here is the finished product with the rest of the cabinet consisting of 3/4 birch ply sides/ top and the shelves are 3/4 birch ply with 3/4" thick solid maple edging glued to the front of the shelves.

Thought I took more pictures of the LEDs going in as well as the build of the cabinet.. but dammit if I just thought it but didnt actually take more pics. .. I can get more detail pics if anyone cares down the road...

post #51 of 68 Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I would strongly recommend an access panel from the side of the rack if possible in order to connect and disconnect stuff.

Blazar!
post #52 of 68 Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just posted this to my masking thread but figured I'd post it here too.

This is a little test I did for the automated masking I am making. It's a little sloppy in this test but so far so good!
I think I'll just have to play with the tension on the bungee cords that provide tension when the mask unrolls from the roller tube.

post #53 of 68 Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Built a stand for my center channel out of ply and 2 x4. So that and the front speakers went in. Feeling pretty excited about seeing the front stage and screen wall coming together.

Carpet installed today . New carpet on the stage steps but re-using the carpet that was already in the room. Will eventually put new in wall to wall carpet. But, for now budget does not allow. I can't say I really like the flooring, either carpet or laminate. Nor do I really like the cabinets there now but I'll upgrade those in time.

post #54 of 68 Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks Malix! Congrats on all your work so far! Looking pretty awesome! Please give us more info about your masking set up. The videos are a great addition!:)

post #55 of 68 Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDonnyD View Post

Thanks Malix! Congrats on all your work so far! Looking pretty awesome! Please give us more info about your masking set up. The videos are a great addition!smile.gif

What type of info are you looking for? And did you see my masking build thread?? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1524349/diy-cih-motorized-masking-with-somfy-lt30s. If that doesnt answer your questions post in the masking thread and i'll do my best to answer.. Also I referenced some of the automated masking build threads I used for inspiration in my thread check those out . Lots of great info there...

post #56 of 68 Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking very nice, MALIX! I like your 4 subs in the corners approach, and the pink fuffy for bass traps. I'll be curious as to your end results.

Sub'd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #57 of 68 Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Looks great! I see you are in my neighborhood too. If I would have known earlier i would have offered to help if you needed any help. I am currently building a HT too. smile.gif

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #58 of 68 Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Looking good biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #59 of 68 Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Gee.. Thanks for the positive comments guys! It's nice to hear.

I have started to hook up the equipment. I placed the reciever, inuke amp, mini dsp, and oppo player in the rack cabinet and wired up the speakers and subs. Been listening to stereo music for the last week or so.

In noodling around with the gear I have adjusted the subs to match output at the listening position and run audyssey. Just to see how it sounds. And I' m lovin it! The subs seem very well integrated to the mains with the bass appearing to come from the screen wall even though they are laid out in all four corners. I have yet to adjust the delay on the four subs,as I'll needs wait until I begin to run REW for that.

I received the screen material from falcon screens on Sat. Then, picked up 5/4 poplar stock in 12 ft lengths from the local hardwood supplier. Will try to get the screen done and hung by weeks end.

post #60 of 68 Old 04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIX View Post

Gee.. Thanks for the positive comments guys! It's nice to hear.

I have started to hook up the equipment. I placed the reciever, inuke amp, mini dsp, and oppo player in the rack cabinet and wired up the speakers and subs. Been listening to stereo music for the last week or so.

In noodling around with the gear I have adjusted the subs to match output at the listening position and run audyssey. Just to see how it sounds. And I' m lovin it! The subs seem very well integrated to the mains with the bass appearing to come from the screen wall even though they are laid out in all four corners. I have yet to adjust the delay on the four subs,as I'll needs wait until I begin to run REW for that.

I received the screen material from falcon screens on Sat. Then, picked up 5/4 poplar stock in 12 ft lengths from the local hardwood supplier. Will try to get the screen done and hung by weeks end.

What size screen did you go with?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Panamorph Uh480 Anamorphic Lens , Seymour Av , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Behringer Nu4 6000 Inuke 1400 Watt Power Amplifier , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page