The B-Stock Theater Build - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #301 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Yeah that's interesting. If they have fixed the issue with the Powerlinc modems, then that's a huge deal. If you look on the Smarthome website, there are a ton of negative reviews for the old one. That's great if it's as solid as you say it is PI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
What's part number on that modem and where can you get it for $40?
It is actually a hub and it is now on sale for 80. It use to be 40 during the introductory price. I have one brand new in box never opened, and I can sell it to you for 50 bucks shipped if you like?

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #303 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Yeah that's interesting. If they have fixed the issue with the Powerlinc modems, then that's a huge deal. If you look on the Smarthome website, there are a ton of negative reviews for the old one. That's great if it's as solid as you say it is PI.

I have zero issues with mine. I never had the older version of it, but I did hear that people were having issues. Some of those issues is because people didn't know how to set it up and therefore would leave bad feedback. I always take into consideration that more people will leave negative feedback because they are pissed off than people that are not having any issues at all and have zero reason to go back and post how they love it.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander

post #304 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

$50 is a hell of a deal actually. I'm not sure what you're wanting Waterboy as far as control for your room but I think the hub is not compatible within iRule itself. You will be able to control your lights with the hub with a separate Insteon app from your phone or tablet but I don't think you can within iRule, which is why I went with the Universal Devices/Powerlinc Modem combo. If you don't mind switching between apps, and saving some cash, then PI is making a really good offer there.

PI,
Does Roomie allow you to work with the hub within the actual Roomie app or do you have to exit and open a separate app for Insteon?
post #305 of 327 Old 05-26-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
It is actually a hub and it is now on sale for 80. It use to be 40 during the introductory price. I have one brand new in box never opened, and I can sell it to you for 50 bucks shipped if you like?
Thanks for the offer PI, I'm not ready yet.... more reading to do
I don't believe that the hub has the same capability as the ISY products and I am thinking maybe an ISY with z-wave card

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #306 of 327 Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
post #307 of 327 Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Projector Problems

Well, my projector (JVC RS-45) took a steamy dump on me this past week. It shuts off at random times with blinking lights. The manual of course makes it hard to figure out what the problem is. I think it's overheating which certainly can't be good. I'm wondering if I should repair it or just spend $1500 and get a Sony 40ES. A repair may be cheaper but also may still cost over $500 from what I've been reading. It sucks to revitalize my thread with a broken projector but I was hoping someone had some thoughts.
post #308 of 327 Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Have you taken a look to see if the filter is clogged?

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #309 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 AM

+1 on filter
post #310 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah guys I took out the filter, cleaned it and dried it and stuck it back and the projector still shuts off on me. I was able to get in touch with JVC and recreate the problem over the phone, which kind of shocked me, and it's gonna have to be sent in for service. I'm hoping I can get this fixed for under a grand or I may have to buy a Sony 40es from some shady unauthorized dealer for $1500. Or, this may be the time I go ahead and redo some things in there and truly get this room the way I want it. I'm very close to that now, but there are things that I want to do in there such as build panels for the walls instead of stretched fabric, add another HVAC supply in the front of the room along with a better return air system (I'll get an inline fan to pull the PJ's hot air out the room), possible ATMOS or DTS:X upgrade (really want this to happen), redo the screen wall completely. The speaker shelf would come down, I would purchase and build something from DIY sound group for my LCR's but I would more than likely make them an active crossover design, and I will move the PJ back a 2 feet or 18 inches and get a 10 foot wide screen which would be the max for this room width, and last but not least, sell my SVS cylinders and build some 18 inch Filthy McNasties. I'm pondering all of this because it cost some money and I'm no longer going to buy any of this stuff on credit anymore, so therefore it will take some time to save some money to get done what I want done. I could always keep all of my speakers since they are pretty damned good and save money that way, but I really want to DIY some stuff.
post #311 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah guys I took out the filter, cleaned it and dried it and stuck it back and the projector still shuts off on me. I was able to get in touch with JVC and recreate the problem over the phone, which kind of shocked me, and it's gonna have to be sent in for service. I'm hoping I can get this fixed for under a grand or I may have to buy a Sony 40es from some shady unauthorized dealer for $1500. Or, this may be the time I go ahead and redo some things in there and truly get this room the way I want it. I'm very close to that now, but there are things that I want to do in there such as build panels for the walls instead of stretched fabric, add another HVAC supply in the front of the room along with a better return air system (I'll get an inline fan to pull the PJ's hot air out the room), possible ATMOS or DTS:X upgrade (really want this to happen), redo the screen wall completely. The speaker shelf would come down, I would purchase and build something from DIY sound group for my LCR's but I would more than likely make them an active crossover design, and I will move the PJ back a 2 feet or 18 inches and get a 10 foot wide screen which would be the max for this room width, and last but not least, sell my SVS cylinders and build some 18 inch Filthy McNasties. I'm pondering all of this because it cost some money and I'm no longer going to buy any of this stuff on credit anymore, so therefore it will take some time to save some money to get done what I want done. I could always keep all of my speakers since they are pretty damned good and save money that way, but I really want to DIY some stuff.
Sorry and don't take this the wrong way, but I had to chuckle as I read this the first time.
Projector isn't working....... time to redo the theater

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
post #312 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry and don't take this the wrong way, but I had to chuckle as I read this the first time.
Well...when you put it like that it does sound ridiculous. Of course, the hobby as a whole is ridiculous when you think about it, at least on the level we have taken it to. I may have to re think how I say this to the wife now.
post #313 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well...when you put it like that it does sound ridiculous. Of course, the hobby as a whole is ridiculous when you think about it, at least on the level we have taken it to. I may have to re think how I say this to the wife now.

LMAO Yes always choose your words wisely with the wife

Family Cave Theater
post #314 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
So what did they think the problem was with the projector if it could be recreated? Did a board or sensor fail? Was there any dust in the air flow path or did you only check the filter?

I'm with you on the credit vs. cash thing. I find if I buy the new equipment it's hard for me to motivate and sell off the old. Probably a severe genetic flaw. I have to sell the old stuff first so it maintains my urgency to get it gone and repurpose funds into the new.

When I talk to my wife about these purchases I speak in 'delta dollars'. If you sell your SVS subs and go with some sort of Dayton woofer through a Parts Express DIY, you could be at even money or have a few extra bucks left over to put toward the next thing. Same for the screen and your existing branded LCR. If the total "delta" to transition speakers, subs, screen and projector is just 2 grand, then that's all the new money you are spending.....not the $4k-$5k you are actually spending, less the proceeds from your used equipment sale. The way I rationalize it is that everyone has a hobby or interest. For my wife, that's new clothes, going out to dinner and Starbucks coffee. Add that up in a year and I'm sure it's well over 2 grand (I am in denial about the real number ). I kick in a bit every year toward my electronics. Over time it adds up to something very substantial without much pain on the budget. That being said, I'm bleeding from my eyes with the Stonewater Cinema....and I have yet to purchase a projector, preamp or the forest of African Mahogany it will take to get everything put together. Start lining up carpet, star ceiling illuminator, 6 Atmos speakers, decorative acrylic panels, custom metal work, soundproof door, fabric and fabric track.....and I start to plug my ears. I can't hear you.

New dollars are always a tougher sell than delta dollars. Recovery on the preamp would be low and you're adding multiple brand new speakers...that's where the pain comes in IMHO.

Hopefully the projector is a cheap fix and you'll buy yourself more time without getting hooked into the theater snowball turning into an avalanche!!
post #315 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tim,
They said it's something internal for sure. The fan is blowing so I'm assuming it's a processing board which I've heard runs around $500 or so. Damn thing was calibrated to perfection too which means I'll have to do all that over again. Just talked to the wife about everything and I think we are going to look at possibly selling this house before the end of the year while the market is hot. If we do sell, I'll be custom building another house for sure. I guess the theater will stay as is for the time being. We have been debating selling for a while but I didn't think we would ever get around to it. I guess now is as good a time as any since I've got the upgrade bug. Might as well upgrade the whole house! It's gonna suck living in an apartment for 6 months but that's what we have to do in order to build a house with a pool and a home theater. You know, first world problems and all.
post #316 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just talked to the wife about everything and I think we are going to look at possibly selling this house before the end of the year while the market is hot.
Projector isn't working....time to sell the house!!!

In the name of all that is sacred and holy, you MUST make us AVS people proud and have 12' ceilings in your new theater with entry on the riser level!!!!
Waterboy77 likes this.
post #317 of 327 Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm kind of excited to start over to be honest but it seems like selling a house is more stressful than buying one. Hell I can run out and buy one in a month or less but selling one makes me nervous.

Having an entrance at riser level is definitely intriguing and I can make high ceilings happen easily. Good lord, 12' is gonna need some serious woofage and amperage to make it sound right. I love where your head is at sir! I don't know if the wife loves it, by I certainly do.
post #318 of 327 Old 10-23-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Leaving Beaumont?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #319 of 327 Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No I'm not leaving the Beaumont area. I have 3 stores in this area so I'll be here for a while. I would like to get out of the city limits of Beaumont though. Property taxes are ridiculous here because the previous school administration stole a bunch of money. FBI got involved, federal indictments, the whole nine. $2700 a year for a 40 year old, 1600 square foot house in this town is ridiculous. My house outside the city limits would literally be half of that. We're still weighing options though. I have less than 10 years to pay the house off completely so there's that. I still have some odds and ends to take care of before I can sell it so I have to get motivated to get those projects done in the next 90 days and we'll see where we're at. First world problems are tough sometimes.
post #320 of 327 Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, on October the 25th, which was last Sunday, I was able to watch football all day until the Sunday night game and then the projector shut off on me. I was able to watch football all day yesterday without it shutting off on me at all. I went ahead and ordered a Sony 40es for $1550 on Amazon because I'm not gonna turn the projector on, get excited about a movie or football, and not know if I can watch all of it or five minutes of it. That being said, I guess I've got a JVC RS-45 projector for sale. Anybody know how I can word the listing? The lamp is fairly new but of course there are problems. I know I can't get $1500 for it by any means but what do you guys suggest? It has been calibrated and everyone knows what a great picture these JVC's throw on a screen. Of course I want to be honest and list it as needing repairs that may cost $500. I do have the box by the way.
post #321 of 327 Old 11-02-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #322 of 327 Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would be nervous to buy it for fear I'd have to change my theater plans or sell my house!
BllDo likes this.
post #323 of 327 Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #324 of 327 Old 11-04-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I would be nervous to buy it for fear I'd have to change my theater plans or sell my house!
That's what I was thinking
post #325 of 327 Old 11-04-2015, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not trying to sell it to you guys! The people still following this thread already have projectors, anyways, I would assume. I was just trying to get suggestions on how to word the listing on here. I certainly don't want to mislead anyone about it. I mean, it throws a great picture for 3 minutes at a time. I don't even know how much to ask for a projector that someone else would have to fix. If I can't sell it then I may have it repaired. If the service center can't recreate the problem, then I may just do this:

post #326 of 327 Old 11-07-2015, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it just me, or is hanging a projector a pain in the ass? It's not overly complicated by any means, it's just clumsy to me.

In any case, I got the Sony 40es mounted last night and watched the Rockets game and checked a few other things out. The reviewers all had these things in common when they tried out the 40es.

1. It's bright.
2. Cinema 1 mode is pretty accurate right out of the box.

Those reviewers were correct on both accounts. The JVC out of box picture was pretty bad in my opinion but with a Lumagen you're able to get a near perfect picture. I'm still gonna break out the ole colorimeter and measure and tweak everything of course. I'm gonna predict that when I dial in a 3-D LUT calibration with my Lumagen, the 40es picture is gonna be as good or better than my JVC RS-45. The black levels are of course ridiculously awesome with the JVC but there wasn't a noticeable difference between the RS-45 and Sony when I watched a few things last night. The brightness is just awesome, though. It makes a huge difference in the viewing experience when you have so much headroom in that department.

I planned on posting some Calman before and after shots soon for anyone that's interested.
post #327 of 327 Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh yeah, I think I found out why me JVC broke on me. I think my APC UPS is starting to go out. Last night, everything in the room shut off and the battery back up had a message that said, "Cap Overload". It didn't go into battery backup mode, it just shut everything off. Not good for a projector of course. I know it's not really overloaded. It's got a receiver, a projector and little things like a network switch and my ITach's and iMac plugged into it. From what I was able to find online, it's just going out on me.

I've hit a little bit of a rough patch over the last couple of weeks. The projector, the battery back up, and Wednesday, my front loading washing machine started smoking. That was the second time the washing machine has done that and I'm not paying a repair man to come out and fix something that can be replaced for nearly the same cost as a repair. As you can tell by the name of my theater, I'm not opposed to buying used stuff. When it comes to appliances, I'm the guy down there at the store negotiating with the salesman at the annual "scratch and dent" sale. I was able to pick up a nice open box LG top loader with steam and all kinds of other crap I probably won't use. It normally retails for $800 or so. It was open box with a full warranty for $599. The manager knocked an extra 20% off of that which was a little shocking. I was thinking he was gonna knock off 50 bucks at the most but came back with $120 discount. I gladly accepted his offer and bought a 3 year extended warranty for an extra $60 bucks. I felt so good about the deal I decided to make one of those donations at the register to St. Jude's. Hopefully I can find a nice used battery back up at Best Buy today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Epik Legend Subwoofer , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , lumagen radiance mini-3d , m&k , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , svs pc12 plus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page