AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

And my LCR shelf

That was my second attempt. I didn't take a picture of my first attempt to build one on Sunday because it was just embarrassingly terrible. Kind of learning as I go I guess. Sunday I had particle board shelving with 2 x 4 framing and 2 x 6 braces. Sounds simple enough, but it was scabbed together crap. So, I regrouped yesterday and bought some 2 x 4's from Lowe's and framed up a much nicer looking shelf. I used OSB that I had leftover from the walls for the decking. I bought pre made particle board shelving, originally, because I was looking for any way to not have to rip down more OSB. For some reason, I just dread doing it. I'm assuming it has something to do with my lack of confidence in cutting straight lines. In any case, I got over being a baby about cutting boards and got the shelf built and I'm much happier with the result.
I realize the shelf is kinda high but I had to accommodate for these

I'm probably going to just take my M&K LCR's and flip them upside down so that the tweeters are closer to ear level for the listeners instead of at the top of the screen.

I did the same thing with LCR. Both Klipsch and jbl pro cinema tech support said no problem. Just make sure your tweeters don't fire down into a hard surface (the shelf). You can see I didn't have to worry about that since mine hung over the edge. If yours don't, you might research ways to prevent sound bouncing off the shelf surface.

Looking good. I love the B-stock approach. !

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 191 Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'll just put the speakers right at the edge to avoid any reflecting surfaces. It will be no different than a speaker stand I guess.

PDX, Are you really a pro bass fisherman?
post #33 of 191 Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
PDX, Are you really a pro bass fisherman?

Only for bass that goes boom. tongue.gif

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #34 of 191 Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see you what you did there big guy.
post #35 of 191 Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yesterday I was able to convert the bay window into a shelf for media storage. Also, there is an outlet in there so I can keep my tablet charged which will be running iRule. I still need install the shelf supports, which will be 2x2's, rip down some 3/4" sanded ply for the shelves and and of course paint.

Here is what I started with

I installed some cloth Levelor blinds. These are kinda cool. You can see out but not in.

I got it framed up.

Then I took 3/4" sanded ply and had Lowe's rip it down for the sides and middle. $35 a sheet is just ridiculous. Damn, I live in Southeast Texas. It's the middle of the woods for crying out loud. It's not like they had to travel to some exotic location to cut the tree down. They only charged me 25 cents per cut though so I guess I shouldn't complain. Anyways, I insulated the middle and sides.

Here's the side with the plug

And the near finished product.

I'll rip down the shelving and get that installed tonight, hopefully. Then, I'll be ready to rent a sprayer and paint this sucker.
post #36 of 191 Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well add another thing to the list that I had to do over. The back pieces of the book shelf were 3/8" ply wood. The sides and middle are 3/4. I just couldn't live with the 3/8. I tried to save a little money for the back of the shelf but that was a mistake. It was flimsy and felt cheap. So, I got off work, took down the 3/8, re-measured and then went back to Lowe's and bought 2 more sheets of 3/4 and had it ripped down. Now, I just need to build shelves. Hopefully only once.
post #37 of 191 Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just picked up a set of M&K LCR 750 THXs, a Center 750THX, and a pair of 550THX surrounds with an older Yamaha receiver, yamaha karaoke mixer (that I sold today on craigslist for $100), a tape deck and a dvd carousel for $500! Now I have to decide if I use the 550s for my side surrounds what do I use for my rears?
post #38 of 191 Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

I just picked up a set of M&K LCR 750 THXs, a Center 750THX, and a pair of 550THX surrounds with an older Yamaha receiver, yamaha karaoke mixer (that I sold today on craigslist for $100), a tape deck and a dvd carousel for $500! Now I have to decide if I use the 550s for my side surrounds what do I use for my rears?
That's a hell of a find man. Congratulations. I have a pair of LCR 45's for sale in the classifieds that I used as my rears for about a year or so. I have the boxes and manuals and all that crap if you're interested.
post #39 of 191 Old 02-14-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Shelves up, ready to caulk and paint. Carpet will be here on the Feb 26th so I have some panels to build and double doors to hang also.
post #40 of 191 Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I didn't even know you had a thread and you have moved along fast! Any longer and I could have missed the entire build! Looks great and I am looking forward to seeing the end results which might be really soon the way you are trucking along. Any idea of the finish date?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #41 of 191 Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! It doesn't feel like I'm moving fast. I've been working on this thing nearly everyday. I'll be painting tomorrow morning so I'm thinking I'll be done by the 26th, which is when carpet arrives.
post #42 of 191 Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Went and picked up this yesterday

I got everything taped off and the wires wrapped up so I'm ready to paint this thing finally.
However, I think I've decided to change things up a bit. Instead of fabric panels on the walls with no trim, I think I'm going to tack up furring strips and stretch and staple the carpet that way. Of course, I'll have crown, a chair rail, and baseboard now. My room is only 19' x 12' so the trim won't be too bad. Actually 17' x 12' because of the screen wall. I was thinking that trimming a rectangle room would be pretty simple compared to building a of bunch panels, making sure they're square, measured properly, painted black and then fabric stretched over them. I am, however, going to have to build panels for the ceiling, since I'm going with fabric instead of just painting it black. I'm really trying to eliminate building panels as much as possible. I'm sick of tape measures, speed squares, miter saws, other saws, levels, screws, nails, Lowe's, Home Depot and spending money.
post #43 of 191 Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

After building 56 panels, I completely understand. The problem for me is that I still need to build more. mad.gif

So it seems that you are going for a more elegant style with the chair rails?

- Leon Phelps
post #44 of 191 Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, I also ordered XLR interconnects from monoprice, a Lumagen Radiance Mini from AVS. I also received my 5000K LED bulbs for my cans that I got from 1000bulbs.com. I put a couple of them in and the white lighting looks incredibly sexy.
post #45 of 191 Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

After building 56 panels, I completely understand. The problem for me is that I still need to build more. mad.gif

So it seems that you are going for a more elegant style with the chair rails?
I'm going to try and find a chair rail that is simple and not so eclectic. Maybe just a 1 x 4 with a round-over on each side. I really don't want to buy a router so I'll have to see what the moulding selection is like in Beaumont. Hell it may be cheaper to buy a router, a cheap table and some 1 x 4's instead of buying a bunch of pre made moulding. The theater in my first or second post that kind of inspired my design has a chair rail and it still looks pretty minimalist. How long did it take you to build your panels?
post #46 of 191 Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no clue?? I know that I have used close to 7500 staples and maybe 30 yards or more of fabric. When I work, I work my arse off just like you are doing. I focus in and get er' done! The surrounding panels I finished in two days. The staggered panels took so long to finish because they where smaller and so many of them. Cutting all the wood took a while too because I do not have good tools and used a circular saw. So each piece I measure and cut. Just on the staggered panels was 132 cuts minimum plus all the measuring each time. Then there was another 23 panels after that. You get the point.

- Leon Phelps
post #47 of 191 Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

Hell it may be cheaper to buy a router, a cheap table and some 1 x 4's instead of buying a bunch of pre made moulding.

And when you're done, you'd have a router and a table! biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #48 of 191 Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ready for paint!

Yes, that's a grocery bag on my head.
post #49 of 191 Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you plan on doing with the lumagen mini? CIH?

- Leon Phelps
post #50 of 191 Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finished painting in 35 minutes. Obviously it's not a professional coat but the room is dark even with the work light on and that's all that I was needing. It took longer to clean up than it did to paint. Highly recommend buying a sprayer if you have more than one room to paint in your house.
Quote:
What do you plan on doing with the lumagen mini? CIH?

Yes, CIH primarily. After having the lens zooming for the last year or so, I'm ready to have something a little more accurate. At one point in time, I was just going to buy one because the JVC RS-45 doesn't have a CMS. Then I wavered back and forth because the calibrated picture of the JVC isn't perfect, but it's still really good. Plus, I figured I would never really notice the difference between a pretty well calibrated grayscale on the JVC with colors that are "close enough" to accurate as opposed to having the Lumagen and having near perfect grayscale and colors. I say that because I owned a Radiance XD a couple of years ago and sold it. I just couldn't justify the price since the picture on the projector was already really good. All that being said, I bought one any ways because of this video and this one from BrolicBeast. After that, I knew I had to have it. The color management is cool and all that, but non linear stretching is bitchin'. If I would have known the Radiance had this feature, then I would have never sold my first one.
post #51 of 191 Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And by the way, the grocery bag, which is basically free, kept paint out of what little hair I have. But with the nice respirator with new cartridges, everything in my nose, is now black.
post #52 of 191 Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Finished painting in 35 minutes. Obviously it's not a professional coat but the room is dark even with the work light on and that's all that I was needing. It took longer to clean up than it did to paint. Highly recommend buying a sprayer if you have more than one room to paint in your house.
Yes, CIH primarily. After having the lens zooming for the last year or so, I'm ready to have something a little more accurate. At one point in time, I was just going to buy one because the JVC RS-45 doesn't have a CMS. Then I wavered back and forth because the calibrated picture of the JVC isn't perfect, but it's still really good. Plus, I figured I would never really notice the difference between a pretty well calibrated grayscale on the JVC with colors that are "close enough" to accurate as opposed to having the Lumagen and having near perfect grayscale and colors. I say that because I owned a Radiance XD a couple of years ago and sold it. I just couldn't justify the price since the picture on the projector was already really good. All that being said, I bought one any ways because of this video and this one from BrolicBeast. After that, I knew I had to have it. The color management is cool and all that, but non linear stretching is bitchin'. If I would have known the Radiance had this feature, then I would have never sold my first one.

That is the only reason why I bought my Radiance XD as well. I watch everything in 2.35 with the NLS. It is a fantastic feature and way cheaper than an A-lens. That being said, I suggest you make velvet panels for your front wall around your screen because black bars will show up. Even on black paint I could see the black bars in my theater and that is why I started making panels to begin with. With the velvet panels up, you can not see anything and it worked out perfectly.

Post some pics of the painted room if you can.

- Leon Phelps
post #53 of 191 Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I went ahead and installed my bulbs for the cans so I can finally stop using this work light. Here's the room with all the lights at 100%.

post #54 of 191 Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

I went ahead and installed my bulbs for the cans so I can finally stop using this work light. Here's the room with all the lights at 100%.

I remember that milestone in my build, too... Makes a huge difference, doesn't it!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #55 of 191 Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes sir it does. I was looking back at some old posts in this thread and I saw where I said I wanted to be finished by the Super Bowl. That's just comical looking back at it now. This has been way more than I thought it was gonna be initially. I don't even have soffits and a stage or any thing like that either. Here's what I have left:
1. Hang furring strips on walls for fabric
2. Build fabric panels for ceiling and install
3. Hang Screen
4. Hang PJ
5. Put equipment subs and LCR's in place
6. Install double doors
7. Paint double doors
8. Hang fabric on walls
9. Build and install fabric panels for screenwall
10. Hang surround speakers
11. Watch guys install carpet hopefully to perfection
12. Trim the room out
13. Build 2 removable panels for the shelf
14. Re calibrate PJ
15. Calibrate Lumagen Mini (I have Spectracal so I can autocal this and the PJ in less than an hour
16. Calibrate sound with REW and my Umik.
17. Sit on my ass and watch movies for unending amounts of time.
post #56 of 191 Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Furring strips installed.

Will start on ceiling panels tonight after work.
post #57 of 191 Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have a question about my ceiling panels. They have to be 1 by 3 or 4. I can't use 2 x 4's because of the way I furred out my cans and HVAC supplies. Can I just use furring strips or do I have to use the top choice stuff? Obviously, I would prefer furring strips since they are a third of the cost. What did you guys use for your wall panels?
post #58 of 191 Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got all but one panel built and painted. Stretched fabric on 4 of them and got them installed in the corners. Should be very close to finishing fabric ceiling panels tonight.

Here's the 4 panels I have to stretch fabric over tonight

After the wife and I painted the panels I went ahead and put the subs in there place.

And I started on the equipment rack

That's the Sherbourn 7-150 amp on the bottom. It took me and my son to hold it up and my wife to put the 4 screws in. I think 7channelfreak has 7-350 installed in his rack. My condolences to your vertebrae, sir. That had to have been hell getting that thing in there.
post #59 of 191 Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

5000K LED bulbs for my cans that I got from 1000bulbs.com. I put a couple of them in and the white lighting looks incredibly sexy.

What type of bulbs are you using? I'm looking for a good GU10 LED bulb that resembles a halogen equivalent.
post #60 of 191 Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervepf View Post

What type of bulbs are you using? I'm looking for a good GU10 LED bulb that resembles a halogen equivalent.
R20 5000K. I can't remember the brand right off hand but I got them from 1000bulbs.com. The ones I have are more pure white which is what I wanted. They aren't very halogen-y.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Epik Legend Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page