post #61 of 147 Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Got all but one panel built and painted. Stretched fabric on 4 of them and got them installed in the corners. Should be very close to finishing fabric ceiling panels tonight.

How did you make the panel with the light in it? Do you have any pictures of the build? Looks great!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 147 Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

How did you make the panel with the light in it? Do you have any pictures of the build? Looks great!
Thanks! Here is a link to what I did with the lights right here. The cans were installed and then I cut eight 4 1/2 inch holes in a 1x12. Then cut that down and tacked them up over the lights. The panels are just regular old rectangles put together with corner braces, wood glue and pocket screws. Then we painted them black and stretched fabric over them as tight as possible so they wouldn't sag. Then they were tacked up with Loctite construction adhesive and 18 ga. brad nails. After it was nailed up, we stapled completely around the 4 1/2 inch hole on the furring board where the can is on the ceiling. Then a hole was cut in the fabric and the spray painted trim piece installed.
post #63 of 147 Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are a couple of the panels we did last night.

One more to wrap and hang and then I have the one in the center of the ceiling to build, paint wrap and hang. Carpet will be here tomorrow.
Edit: I think those look like wrinkles in the fabric on one of those but I can assure you there are no wrinkles. Tight as a drum.
post #64 of 147 Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! Here is a link to what I did with the lights right here. The cans were installed and then I cut eight 4 1/2 inch holes in a 1x12. Then cut that down and tacked them up over the lights. The panels are just regular old rectangles put together with corner braces, wood glue and pocket screws. Then we painted them black and stretched fabric over them as tight as possible so they wouldn't sag. Then they were tacked up with Loctite construction adhesive and 18 ga. brad nails. After it was nailed up, we stapled completely around the 4 1/2 inch hole on the furring board where the can is on the ceiling. Then a hole was cut in the fabric and the spray painted trim piece installed.

I see. Can you see the staples? Just really curious to how you did this because I need to do something to my ceiling but I do not know what the heck I am going to do.

edit....
ok I see that you stapled where the frame of the vents and lights are. Very good idea!

- Leon Phelps
post #65 of 147 Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Because my light trim is so small, I can see the staples. My wife actually had a really good idea to go get backer board that you would use in a picture frame and cut it out in a circle to fit around the trim piece. Spray paint it flat black first, of course, then put it around recessed light trim and have have the trim piece hold it up against the fabric. If the backer board was cut in a precise enough circle, it would look like part of the trim piece. Now, if you're using 6" cans, those trim pieces are wide enough to cover the staples on their own.
post #66 of 147 Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the fabric panels on the ceiling all glued and tacked up. The carpet will be here between 10 and 1 this afternoon. The last leg of my build is actually going in a slightly different order than what most guys are doing. Here's what I've got on today's agenda:
  1. Carpet
  2. Hang PJ mount
  3. Finish wiring equipment rack
  4. Hang screen
  5. Install prehung doors
Most people have carpet last on the list but I would have had to wait another month if I wouldn't have gotten it done today. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday we can get to staple the fabric on the walls.
post #67 of 147 Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #68 of 147 Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

yes backer boxes can be IC.

on the screen lights you can get remodel cans from Lowes for under 20 including bulb,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_289424-53058-9201101_0__?productId=1241365&Ntt=4+inch+recessed+lights&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D4%2Binch%2Brecessed%2Blights&facetInfo=

I like 4 for a 2.35:1 screen.
DC, noob question, but I am curious why most theaters have lights above or flashing on the screen? Any reason for this?
post #69 of 147 Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

DC, noob question, but I am curious why most theaters have lights above or flashing on the screen? Any reason for this?
Pimp factor! It looks pimp when you walk in. That's my way of explaining it with slang.

- Leon Phelps
post #70 of 147 Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the wife hanging fabric. She's doing a great job.

All the while...I'm plowing through beers.
post #71 of 147 Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the doors hung. That was tough. And they are heavy.

Gonna get some more fabric up on the walls today. I'm starting to see the finish line here. I've got IRule controlling the lights and turning the equipment on. I haven't done any networking since I took my CCNA test back in 2001. I had to re learn some things and then I had to get introduced to some new concepts as well. Had to get my theater room connected to the cable modem in my living room which I just used Powerline for that. I wanted to use the switch on the router for my Global Cache, ISY, and projector and still use the wireless capabilities as an extra access point. Couldn't get it all to work out completely so I just went with turning my new theater room router into a switch only and got it all working. I'll revisit the networking stuff after my theater is complete to see if I can get it going to my satisfaction 100%.

Here's what's left, I think:

1. Finish installing fabric on the walls

2. Screen wall panels

3. Paint doors

4. Install and paint trim

5. Build 2 removable panels for the shelf

edit: I also have to install the back row seating. That takes a couple hours too. DAMNIT! Something tells me that list is gonna keep growing.
post #72 of 147 Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My lists suck. I had to install surround speakers, PJ and the screen too. Got that done and working on the fabric for the bottom half of the walls. Here are some pictures of what I've gotten done.

And the finished rack underneath the screen

I spent several hours calibrating the projector and the Lumagen grayscale and CMS last night. Then I level matched all my speakers and 2 subs and I had to throw in Leo's demo disc. The Art of Flight could easily be in the Visual as well as the Bass section on the disc. I don't give a rat's ass about snowboarding but I'm giving some thought into buying that movie just so I can stare at it for hours.
post #73 of 147 Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright, the screen wall panels are up with the exception on the removable one the will cover my equipment rack. The wife and I got the back row of chairs installed and they look fantastic with the navy blue DMD fabric. Before that I took a seat cushion to Sherwin Williams for them to paint match. It took some effort but they got it just about perfect. I thought these chairs were charcoal gray but they are far from that simple. Bass Theater Seating called it their version of black back in the day when these seats were being manufactured but unfortunately no longer have any samples or swatches. It's definitely a unique gray color for sure. At Sherwin Williams, they had it to black at first, then added white and which made to much red show up in the paint. Then the lady added gold and green to bring down the red tint and it ended up being perfect. I said this in one of my earlier posts when someone asked about my color scheme, and that is that no one can color match like Sherwin Williams. The color was put together initially by the computer but a person's eyeballs and their knowledge came in and fixed it. As far as the sheen, I decided to go with Satin oil base on the trim. I'm going to clean up my shelf in the back of the room and get some pictures of the chairs on here.
post #74 of 147 Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've got a few pictures of what is an almost finished theater. I need to do the trim and build the removable panels in the back of the room. Shouldn't be too hard, but then again I thought I was going to be finished by the Super Bowl and we see how that turned out. Also, apparently I was full of crap about my praise of the Sherwin WIlliams' crew. I got the paint from them up on the door and it was more purple than anything. Lesson learned. Don't try to color match fabric. I just went with black satin. I only have one coat on the doors and need another. I took these with a DSLR and I'm a beginner at best.

Screen wall with the panels finished. 100" wide screen looks small in the photo but it is the perfect size for this room as far as I'm concerned. Zero reflection on the fabric ceiling. Yes it is pretty close to the ceiling and I had to do that because of the equipment rack underneath.

Projector that you can hardly see with 2 M&K SS 550's in the back

Doors that need another coat of paint

Back row of Bass Theater Seats

From the screen wall. I'm pretty sure I've had a beer in damn near every picture I've posted.

Almost finished! I've gotten everything accomplished that I wanted to get done with this build so far. It's a small room (19'x12'x8') that has the entire theater contained inside of it including media storage (haven't finished that yet but the shelf is finished). I didn't have an extra closet so I had to put the rack under the screen. Also, I think the rack looks good enough to leave the removable panel off if I decide to do so for some events. For some reason, I really wanted a fabric ceiling and I was able to pull that off, I think (at least in a dimly lit room). I've got seating for 7. I've got an acoustically transparent 2.40:1 screen. A very high quality sound system for movies. (These M&K's aren't the best for music but for movies they sound very "theater-like") The same goes for my new subs. I couldn't be happier with my new SVS PC-12 Plus'. I was worried about going ported but these things are ridiculous. I also didn't want to hide my surround speakers. Movie theaters have their surrounds exposed which is exactly what I wanted. I think authentic theaters' surround speakers are not very aesthetically pleasing, however. My M&K's with the curved mesh metal grills look pretty bitchin. The video is as good as I've ever had in my room with the Oppo, Lumagen and JVC video chain. The 5 hours calibrating was well worth it.

When the last couple of things on the list get finished, I'll get some more professional pictures uploaded. Or maybe you guys can tell me what my camera settings need to be. It's hard as hell to take pictures in dim room.
post #75 of 147 Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got a chuckle out of the slave wife labor line. Kinda still laughing actually. The screen does look goofy as hell in that picture, with all the black below it for sure. Maybe I'll get one with an actual person standing in front of it to show that it's not too high up. In person, it looks a little more in proportion with the room height and width but I definitely see what you're talking about in the photo. It looks almost like a 65" flat panel. I had to go in the room and stand next to it to make sure I didn't "f" this thing up. Damnit David, now that I think about it, I can get at least a 110" wide screen on that wall with the equipment rack still in the same place. I can probably lower it 2-3 more inches as well or maybe even more if I put black out fabric on the removable panel that covers the rack so I can cover a couple of components. Thanks for bringing it up and costing me another $1200. You're the "best"!

In all seriousness, I'm probably a year away from that but it may happen. I really do appreciate the input!

Now let me ask you this, in a 12' wide room, is 110" gonna be wide enough?
post #76 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 242
JVoth - I've posted this in several other threads before, but I'd like to offer you my patented screen size calculator:
  1. Measure the width of your screen wall
  2. Deduct 8 inches from the width of your screen wall to account for the total width of screen frame on both sides
  3. Deduct 47.5
  4. Divide by 1
  5. Add 47.5
  6. Multiply by 1
  7. Order the screen biggrin.gif
thrillcat likes this.
post #77 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

JVoth - I've posted this in several other threads before, but I'd like to offer you my patented screen size calculator:
  1. Measure the width of your screen wall
  2. Deduct 8 inches from the width of your screen wall to account for the total width of screen frame on both sides
  3. Deduct 47.5
  4. Divide by 1
  5. Add 47.5
  6. Multiply by 1
  7. Order the screen biggrin.gif

Basically what I did. I deducted 10 inches, just to make sure. Not much gap on the sides of my screen.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #78 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes it is real funny to see what people have on their screens when they post them. There is Lady and the Tramp and Wheel of fortune LOL. tongue.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #79 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 242
It was a tongue-in-cheek answer, @DavidK442, devoid of any useful calculations for anything.
post #80 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Definitely happy with the screen size at the moment but I may look into getting into the 120" wide range by this time next year.

At the moment, I'm having some issues with IRule and them selling me sh***y outdated hardware without telling me it was outdated. The whole reason I went with them was because of the feedback capability and the fact that my equipment will not really be seen. I'm almost to the point of telling them to take it back and going with Control4. I would hate to spend over $1000 for one room automation though.
post #81 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love my control4. I think its definitely worth it. Nice to have everything on one remote and programmable.
post #82 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely happy with the screen size at the moment but I may look into getting into the 120" wide range by this time next year.

At the moment, I'm having some issues with IRule and them selling me sh***y outdated hardware without telling me it was outdated. The whole reason I went with them was because of the feedback capability and the fact that my equipment will not really be seen. I'm almost to the point of telling them to take it back and going with Control4. I would hate to spend over $1000 for one room automation though.

Why not use Roomie remote? It is really cheap and does a great job and is easy to program.

- Leon Phelps
post #83 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about feedback? Does Roomie allow for RS-232 control?

Angus,
Mind sharing details about your C4 setup? One room? Whole house?
post #84 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Ip, ir, rs232 and with feedback. You need to get the ip to rs232 module. I have one that I have never used. You probably already have one though. It's global cache' that makes them.

- Leon Phelps
post #85 of 147 Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a small house.. so nothing as impressive as some of the people here smile.gif

I currently have 1 TV and working on adding a projector in the basement. I have 4 audio zones, probably about 20ish switches/dimmers all handled through control4 as well as HVAC. I love it.. I have my alarm arming tied to my hvac so it lowers heat based on alarm armed to away, raises when someone comes back... XBMC integration is great as well.. IP driver works excellent so can really use 1 remote for everything.. my wife wouldn't know what to do with any other remote but this one she has 0 issues with... the system is very stable.. can't say I've ever had to reboot it or anything...

Its not the cheapest system that's for sure.. but you can start small and expand...
post #86 of 147 Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Angus,
You wouldn't happen to have a price list on some items that you could PM me would you?
post #87 of 147 Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Sometimes it is real funny to see what people have on their screens when they post them. There is Lady and the Tramp and Wheel of fortune LOL. tongue.gif

Don't you disrespect the Wheel. smile.gif

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #88 of 147 Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Don't you disrespect the Wheel. smile.gif

My apologies! I am very sorry! biggrin.gif
thrillcat likes this.

- Leon Phelps
post #89 of 147 Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm currently exploring my options for my remote. I'm just disappointed with IRule in general. I put a lot of time into that damn thing and I really don't know it will be able to do what I need it to even with the new hardware they will supposedly exchange for me, which I'm still waiting to hear back from them by the way.

I talked to a company in Beaumont that also has an office in Houston and Lake Charles. They've been around for years. I don't know if they are idiots or not though. They did recommend RTI. The guy didn't know if it integrated with Insteon or not which makes me wonder if they are even able to do the job. I'm trying to keep my lighting the same because Radio Ra can get pricey. I think I'm definitely staying away from DIY brands if IRule doesn't work out. On the other hand, maybe I should get the trim installed and stop worrying about the remotes for right now.
post #90 of 147 Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Any updates?

- Leon Phelps
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Epik Legend Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page