Safe to plug entire HT into one outlet/SPD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I read that in order for an SPD to protect properly that all connected components must be plugged into the same SPD. Is this safe to have all that power coming from basically one single plug on one wall outlet?

I purchased a Tripp-lite surge protector with 6-outlets as well as coax in/outs and will have the following plugged into it, which will in turn obviously just be plugged into one single outlet:

Panasonic 60VT60 (60" Plasma)
Sherbourn 5/1500A amp (200 watts x5)
Onkyo 818 receiver
SVS powered 12" sub
Blu-ray player
Cable box & cable

I'm clueless when it comes to electricity and don't know if it matters or not whether I use multiple wall outlets to sort of "spread" out the power draw, or if it doesn't matter if they are all on the same circuit anyhow.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

it doesn't matter if they are all on the same circuit anyhow.

This.
kbreese likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

This.

Thats the answer I was hoping for but something just doesn't seem right about drawing such a tremendous amount of power from one single wall plug...I am more worried about all that juice on the internal part of the receptacle in the wall and the actual wiring in the wall, all that juice flowing through just the one wire in the wall instead of multiple receptacles and multiple wires. I'm sure, for one the wires are thinner that what the Tripp-lite comes with.

I mean despite worries of damage/fire is it at all possible it could actually limit the power and undperower the amp & sub amp etc by any chance?

For the record though, the house is not very old, it was built in 2003 I believe.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

Thats the answer I was hoping for but something just doesn't seem right about drawing such a tremendous amount of power from one single wall plug...I am more worried about all that juice on the internal part of the receptacle in the wall and the actual wiring in the wall, all that juice flowing through just the one wire in the wall instead of multiple receptacles and multiple wires. I'm sure, for one the wires are thinner that what the Tripp-lite comes with.

I mean despite worries of damage/fire is it at all possible it could actually limit the power and undperower the amp & sub amp etc by any chance?

For the record though, the house is not very old, it was built in 2003 I believe.

The wall receptacle is capable of handling the 15A @ 120V that the circuit is sized for. Same with the wire in the wall. Which is why there's a circuit breaker designed to prevent "too much" current from passing through in the first place - it's to keep everything within the specs of the materials used.

And those "multiple receptacles" - the wire from the circuit breaker goes to the first one, then the second one, then the third. All the current adds up together - and is carried from the circuit breaker to the room on exactly one wire.

Unless you're exceeding the 15A rating, there's no problem. Unless you're using tiny, thin extension cords that are rated for less - which you certainly shouldn't do...
kbreese likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The wall receptacle is capable of handling the 15A @ 120V that the circuit is sized for. Same with the wire in the wall. Which is why there's a circuit breaker designed to prevent "too much" current from passing through in the first place - it's to keep everything within the specs of the materials used.

And those "multiple receptacles" - the wire from the circuit breaker goes to the first one, then the second one, then the third. All the current adds up together - and is carried from the circuit breaker to the room on exactly one wire.

Unless you're exceeding the 15A rating, there's no problem. Unless you're using tiny, thin extension cords that are rated for less - which you certainly shouldn't do...

Fantastic, thanks for the great info!

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version