Which cables are necessary to run in wall for my mounted tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I just recently purchased the all of the necessary components for my home theatre system.  I have someone coming to mount it tomorrow, and would like to clarify everything (cables) I will need to run in wall when my TV is mounted. 

TV: Samsung un60f7050

Receiver: Onkyo 626

I will be having the TV mounted over a fire place mantel, leaving just enough room to place my center channel on the mantel underneath my TV.  I will be having my Blue Ray, Apple TV, and HD Cable box ran to my receiver through HDMI, and my 5 disc cd changer ran to the receiver with L/R RCA's.  The installation guys will be concealing cabling for me to my component cabinet which will sit just to the left of my fireplace.  It will be mounted on wood studs underneath drywall so the concealment will not be any issue. 

I have 2 primary questions:

1.) Which cables will I need to run (or would you advise running) in behind the wall when they come to mount the TV?

My assumed solution (correct me if I'm wrong): I will run 2 HDMI's to the TV, one from my receiver and one extra one, the center channel speaker wire, the IR blaster that comes with my TV (that needs to sit just in front of the cable box (to my understanding)), an Ethernet cable (so I will potentially be able to hardwire my internet connection), and possibly a set of component & L/R RCA's to resolve my issue presented in question 2.   

2.) I would ideally like to be able to watch my HD Cable box without the use of my receiver for when my wife or daughter just want to watch TV without complicating the process by forcing them to use the receiver.  So what is the best way to have this configured? Maybe someone knows if the Onkyo 626 has an HDMI Pass through so I will not need to turn on my receiver to use the Cable box and TV.

Any input is appreciated (pun intended), thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by demopeng View Post

Hi all,
I just recently purchased the all of the necessary components for my home theatre system.  I have someone coming to mount it tomorrow, and would like to clarify everything (cables) I will need to run in wall when my TV is mounted. 

TV: Samsung un60f7050
Receiver: Onkyo 626

I will be having the TV mounted over a fire place mantel, leaving just enough room to place my center channel on the mantel underneath my TV.  I will be having my Blue Ray, Apple TV, and HD Cable box ran to my receiver through HDMI, and my 5 disc cd changer ran to the receiver with L/R RCA's.  The installation guys will be concealing cabling for me to my component cabinet which will sit just to the left of my fireplace.  It will be mounted on wood studs underneath drywall so the concealment will not be any issue. 

I have 2 primary questions:

1.) Which cables will I need to run (or would you advise running) in behind the wall when they come to mount the TV?

My assumed solution (correct me if I'm wrong): I will run 2 HDMI's to the TV, one from my receiver and one extra one, the center channel speaker wire, the IR blaster that comes with my TV (that needs to sit just in front of the cable box (to my understanding)), an Ethernet cable (so I will potentially be able to hardwire my internet connection), and possibly a set of component & L/R RCA's to resolve my issue presented in question 2.   

2.) I would ideally like to be able to watch my HD Cable box without the use of my receiver for when my wife or daughter just want to watch TV without complicating the process by forcing them to use the receiver.  So what is the best way to have this configured? Maybe someone knows if the Onkyo 626 has an HDMI Pass through so I will not need to turn on my receiver to use the Cable box and TV.

Any input is appreciated (pun intended), thanks everyone!

two hdmi cables i plenty and one or two cat 5 or 6 cables and that should leave room do what it is needed
as far as cable box and receiver you maybe able to get away with hdmi switch
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8155&seq=1&format=2

but not 100% that would work because that would require more steps and it would be easier to just turn the receiver on instead of fooling with a switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Falcon Screens

post #3 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Should be concerned with the quality loss if I split the HDMI? 

Does anyone know how the quality difference will be from a split HDMI from my cable box (which broadcasts mostly in 720P at 60Hz) compared with component cables and an optical cable directly to my TV?

post #4 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
your onkyo receiver has several flavors of "HDMI through"
check it out yourself
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-NR626_English.pdf
page 64 covers the "HDMI through" settings
The other options are:
an HDMI distribution amp ( or active splitter, not switch) that takes a single HDMI input and provides several HDMI outputs. It's digital in and digital out, so you won't see the difference if it is working properly.. Monoprice has them for less than $50 for a 1x2.
The other option depends on your cable box. If it has component video outputs enabled at the same time as the HDMI, you could connect those, along with analog stereo audio directly to your TV and leave the HDMI to connect to your AV receiver.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Samsung Smart 60 Inch Led Hdtv 3d Wi Fi Un60f7050 , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr626 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page