bottom of riser carpet edge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some advice on how to finish the bottom edge of carpeted riser?

Are you all tucking carpet under bottom edge, and securing to inside edge of perimeter or just using piece to wrap the rise portion?
Have you had any issues with fraying of that bottom edge if not tucked and stapled around underneath edge?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I've watched a few pro installs.

They cover the top wrapping around the riser lip and stapling underneath. Then they cut strips and staple to the front face, The bottom edge gets tucked next to the carpet on the floor. Lips should be 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big,

I'm carpeting riser after floor is done and installer asked how I wanted bottom edge to be finished, and of course I reached out to the forum for all of the great advice. I will tell them to tuck and wrap underneath edge. I'm sure that riser is going to be quite heavy and trying to wrap that bottom edge underneath will be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks again,

Jeff
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 611
at no time is the riser lifted during the carpeting

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
It should be finished just like they would if they were carpeting a staircase. Where the bottom step meets the existing carpeted floor, they simply tuck the two carpets together. They wouldn't tuck the stair carpet under the staircase. No need to tuck it under your riser.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I misunderstood, when you said tucked I took that as wrapping all the way under. My dilemma is I may need to move riser slightly after its carpeted, and I don't want to risk bottom edge getting pulled loose. Any other ideas on how to best finish that edge in regards to the movement issue?

Jeff
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I ran into a problem where the steps to the riser were too short for the carpet guy's staple gun. It that place, my carpet isn't 100% wrapped and stapled under. You cant see it, but if you run your hand under the lip of the riser you feel it. I filed it under who cares and moved on! Also had a similar issue with my stage that was framed with 2x4s but they were able to get it finally.

My Build Thread:
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Does this mean they are finally installing the carpet??? Can't wait to see the finished room and help with some A/V calibration.

Bacon

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page