Contemplating a Home Theatre Room Garage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of converting my garage into a home theatre room. I want to do as much of the work as I can myself to save on costs. The project will be done over 1-2 years. The current state of the garage is as follows:

House was built in 2008, it is an end unit townhouse, there is direct access to the garage from the house as well as a service entrance that leads to the backyard on the same wall as entrance to the house
2 of the 3 walls have been drywalled and vapour barriered by the builder
The common wall is unfinished and is cinder block
1 ceiling as also been drywalled and vapour barried
The drywall on the walls start about 8 inches off the ground
One combined light switch and electrical outlet near the front near the garage door
One electrical outlet near the back

My plan is to have a electrical screen so I could use the existing outlet to power that. I may have to relocate that out as I am going to leave about 3 feet of unfinished area between the garage door and the home theatre wall and outlet is currently located in what will be the unfinished portion.

I will need a celing outlet so I will need an additional outlet

I want to build the subfloor myself. My question is should I be ripping out the existing drywall and vapour barrier and build a proper frame and insulating it? The framing of the walls is something I will probably have a professional do.

Also, should I be getting the electrician and subcontractor for the walls in before I start building the subfloor to have a look? I do not think building the subfloor should impact any work that they would have to do. I ask only because I dont want to find out later that I should have called them first.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I did a garage conversion awhile back. I pulled permits and did the construction sketches myself. I left the original floor and the wall were partially drywalled with firewalls. Most of the work was done by some friend who were contractors and finished this in there spare time. One thing I wanted to do was to have this permitted to make sure I was adding value to my home and for insurance purposes. One of the drawbacks was having to install windows that were equal to 10% of the square footage. I had an outside wall so this was doable. One of the engineers insisted that I had to install 1 window on the garage door! I challenged it and I won. Make sure you do some heavy insulation on the garage door as this is a huge weak link to climate control. Also I installed a heat pump just for the 21x19 garage which was my best decision in the whole build. Another contractor who did some work me wanted to run another duct to this room. That would never have worked and am quite pleased with the heat pump unit. There is nothing more miserable than sitting in a hot theater with a bunch of people. I was able to do 2 rows of 3 seats and a stand up bar along with a cafe table and it is perfect size for all. I am running a 7.1 system and projector and all is well. I did this on a budget and buying used equipment and speakers really brings down the cost. I am quite happy with it and everyone loves it. I am now on my 2nd project of converting a small office room into my 3d room with 65VT60. Feel free to pm with any questions.

Joe
Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
I assume that the HOA has approved the project. Frankly If I were a board member I would question the permanent removal of the parking spaces from a dense housing configuration (Town houses) look down the street and imagine if everyone pulled their cars out of the garages. I'd have to see the parking situation in your development.