AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   seating distance (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1512827-seating-distance.html)

san16 01-19-2014 09:50 AM

Hi All
Home theater construction has begun. I am ending up with a first row seating distance of 12 feet for the first row. thinking about a 120 inch 16:9 screen. is that screen size correct
thanks

HopefulFred 01-19-2014 01:18 PM

There is no correct size, but I think most builders here would choose bigger. I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I think I would aim for about 2 to 3 times the image height. I think that would put you in the 140-150 diagonal range, with that seating distance. Still, this is a very personal decision.

Pelusa 01-19-2014 07:33 PM

From my research, ideal seating distance should be dependent on screen HEIGHT, not width nor diagonal size. Because it is dependent on our field of vision and the vertical axis is where our field of vision is the smallest. According to industry standards, the MAXIMUM screen size would be 2x the distance to the first row. The IDEAL seating distance will depend on the source. 3x for the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers), 2.89x for 20th Century Fox, and 2.4x for THX.

So pick your poison. But based on overall agreement, in your case you shouldn't exceed 72" of screen HEIGHT (12" of your first row seating distance divided by 2).

I chose my screen height based on the first row seating at THX recommended distance. 2.4x HEIGHT. In your case that would represent a 107"x60" screen. Which is a 122" screen. Just what you have calculated.

Don't forget that if you want to watch movies in widescreen format (2.40:1), your image will shrink significantly because you will give up the space occupied by the top and bottom bars. So on your 60" tall screen, your image may end up being 40" tall instead (effectively making the first row 3.6x screen height.

Getting a 2.40:1 screen keeps your maximum height fixed, but your screen becomes WIDER. Therefore bigger (144"x60").

Just something to consider...

I'm also in the process of building mine. And spending hrs and hrs researching these subjects. Really exciting. And wonderful folks in this forum.

Good luck to you!

purbeast 01-19-2014 07:43 PM

I sit about 13' away from my 120" 16:9 screen, and if I had more space, I would have gone bigger. But due to the room size and speaker placement, that is the biggest I could go and my screen is like an inch from the ceiling.

SierraMikeBravo 01-19-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelusa View Post

From my research, ideal seating distance should be dependent on screen HEIGHT, not width nor diagonal size. Because it is dependent on our field of vision and the vertical axis is where our field of vision is the smallest. According to industry standards, the MAXIMUM screen size would be 2x the distance to the first row. The IDEAL seating distance will depend on the source. 3x for the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers), 2.89x for 20th Century Fox, and 2.4x for THX.

So pick your poison. But based on overall agreement, in your case you shouldn't exceed 72" of screen HEIGHT (12" of your first row seating distance divided by 2).

I chose my screen height based on the first row seating at THX recommended distance. 2.4x HEIGHT. In your case that would represent a 107"x60" screen. Which is a 122" screen. Just what you have calculated.

Don't forget that if you want to watch movies in widescreen format (2.40:1), your image will shrink significantly because you will give up the space occupied by the top and bottom bars. So on your 60" tall screen, your image may end up being 40" tall instead (effectively making the first row 3.6x screen height.

Getting a 2.40:1 screen keeps your maximum height fixed, but your screen becomes WIDER. Therefore bigger (144"x60").

Just something to consider...

I'm also in the process of building mine. And spending hrs and hrs researching these subjects. Really exciting. And wonderful folks in this forum.

Good luck to you!

This is very dependent on just how much height you have available in the room and how many rows of seating you have. It is also a function on screen material. some screens require greater distances, and calculating screen height and placing your seats in the room based on that does not generally take either of these into account. Since height is a function of width on screen size, I would say using width is just fine also. There is no magic formula. Research the type of material you are using, set your distances from the screen based on that, and size the screen according to THX or SMPTE standards based on width at those distances. One more thing to throw a wrench in it, seating placement is really based off of low frequency response, not the screen. wink.gif