Need help from experts for this Mini Theatre project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi i have a space here 6.2 meters by 9.2 meters and 4.5 meter height. I'm really confused right now after all the research I did. Earlier I have read that you should not insulate all around your theatre cause it will "deaden" the sound. But after browsing a few projects here mostly of mr BIGmouthinDC (his works are awesome), I have observed that they are insulating all the walls all around? why is this. and also can you please give some advice on where to put insulation and what to remember and what to do and what not to do. Thanks a lot. I know nothing about acoustics and theatres except for stuff I've read on the web and the book "Theatre Design" wherein I found almost nothing relevant or applicable to my project. (It only discussed big, full time theatres like opera houses etc.) Thank you so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a photo of the site. the sl on the lower left is sound lock and the entrance will go there too. I'm planning to put the screen on the bottom side (6.2m). PE and SE means passenger elevator and service elevator. Will it need acoustical treatment also?  

post #3 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 612
So far you've told us you have this space,

So what do you want to do with it? I assume some kind of theater space, but we need to know more.

Display type and size
Seating Quantity?
Audio requirements
Soundproofing Requirements

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Display type and size: i dont know i i should occupy the entire wall but im looking to the cinema type aspect ratio 2.35:1?

seating quantity: i guess about 36 will fit?

here's a photo i just realized how horrible it is after i've seen a few projects here. you actually conceal equipment on the walls. also, i have no idea how thick the walls would be. (this is embarassing)

this is the displacement ventilation im talking about:

post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You will need multiple side surrounds with a 6 row theater.

On soundproofing you can read a good assortment of articles at soundproofingcompany.com
I would think you would want two layers of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue between layers. The drywall should be mounted on either an isolation system of clips and channel or directly on isolated framing erected inside but not touching the outer walls.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply that was absolutely helpful. but how about the acoustic treatment thing? bass trap, absorption tiles, diffuser, skyline diffuser? do i need these things? with what i have obsereved in projects around here, people only install cloth or something about half the wall height?

post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

My gut says it will be difficult to fit 6 rows in a 30ft long space. Even with traditional style seating I think it will be tight. As for acoustical treatments yes you will need some. You may want to invest in some professional advice. At a minimum the room should be carpeted and the remaining surfaces should have at least 25 coverage with acoustically absobtive materials. When you see fabric in pictures there is usually an inch or two of acoustic panels behind the fabric.

PROJECTS:

post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm also thinking more bass. Your gonna 2 or more subs in there. Any area where you can do an Infinite Baffle setup.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

BIGmouthinDC: thank you big. actually, I dont really need to fit in those six rows. I just tried to see how much i can fit in there in sketchup, so if you think that's not good, you know better than me so your suggestions are very much welcome.

Oman321: thanks, ill research about that infinite baffle setup,

i think i'll find somebody around here (my place) to get help with the acoustics around the room. I have seen how you construct the walls, and i'm pretty familiar with how the ceilings are done, but as you can see the floor of the theatre is going to be sloped and stepped. I have seen how you construct the risers and stage but they are just one level. Do you know some projects around here or some websites where i can find pics on how to that kind of flooring (stepped)? I've seen some with metal studs. would that work? cause i hope to use an underfloor displacement system.

Also, I think the wood you use with the walls are 2"x4" (1.5"x3.5") and sometimes 2"x2"(is that right?), but how about the stage and the floors? what do you use?

Thanks a lot guys! 

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page