Will soffits and columns cause a triple leaf effect? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have done a lot of reading on this forum (great info and really knowledgable people), the internet, and Ted's website and I am a little confused. I am going to use double 5/8" drywall, green glue, whisper clips, and acoustical sealant to completely make an air tight room. My confusion comes in when I read about using fake soffits for my recessed lights and columns for my electrical outlets and sconces. Won't this cause a triple leaf effect? This is basement so I have the upstairs floor (1 leaf), the whisper clips, DD, and green glue (2nd leaf) and then the fake soffit with one more layer of drywall creating (3rd leaf)??? Do I have to create other holes in it so it does not become a leaf? If so how do you do that? Same deal with the columns but instead of the floor it is the other side of the wall. Is is better to make a completely air tight room and create the triple leaf or build backer boxes for everything and not have the triple leaf. Which one is the better approach?

Another question in other areas of my basement (not the theater) i am just using putty pads on my electrical boxes should i use more than one putty pad for each single gang box or is there any benefit to adding more?

Thank you in advance for help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Just for my education... What is a triple leaf effect. I built a big theater room with tons of treatment, etc. I never heard this term before!

Blazar!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a pdf that explains it a way that is pretty easy to understand. I read others that get pretty technical and are harder to get the idea.

http://www.greengluecompany.com/sites/default/files/Understanding_theTriple_Leaf_Effect.pdf
Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I went with an unusual concept since i wanted my media room on the main floor, right between the master bedroom and the living room.

On the master bedroom side: double leaf wall with staggered studs. Foam insulation inside on one surface. Then master bedroom closet which has my rack in-between another sheetrock double leaf. Then a big line of hanging clothes and cabinets on another double leaf with a sheet of mass loaded vinyl inside and foam insulation.

On the living room wall a very large air gap again filled with air, foam insulation, mass loaded vinyl. Then concrete cinderblocks that make up the fireplace. Then cast stone for the fireplace itself and wood paneling covering the remainder of that wall.

If this were not enough, the inside of the room is entirely covered in acoustic treatments (bass traps, diffusors), wood paneling, and stone.

It all works fairly well and doesnt wake up my wife at night.... So its all good!

Blazar!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 AM

The triple leaf effect occurs because you have multiple air gaps in your wall construction. These should be avoided. If you stuff your soffits and columns with batt insulation, you will eliminate the air cavity at that location, avoiding the triple leaf effect
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
. As for the triple leaf effect I believe that the general consensus is that columns and soffits aren't a significant source of the effect. Too small.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

. As for the triple leaf effect I believe that the general consensus is that columns and soffits aren't a significant source of the effect. Too small.

Thank you, Jeff, that makes sense. Wish you were near Northern California to get your thoughts!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mike - I've thought the same thing. Where are you?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Auburn, CA
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ah, too hot for me!

BIG is definitely the man here. I had a soffit built inside the room and stuffed it with insulation per the acoustic plan by Bryan Pape.

For the backer boxes I just used 1 putty pad for the smaller ones, I think two for the 4-gang box. Just make sure you seal the edges of the holes in the drywall w/ acoustic caulk.

Do you have a plan/design yet?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I did but another post about my speaker selection might be changing it. I was going to go with a Martin Logan set-up but now maybe switching to Definitive technologies. I am glad I am posting now not after I have run my electrical.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Now I am leaning towards golden ear.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would highly recommend solidifying your plans first before choosing equipment. You need to define what you need before you research equipment. Sure eliminates most of the competition.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Actually because of the sound proofing measures I am taking the equipment choices are very important because I need to finalize where i need all my power and what wires I need. If I go with a powered center channel or not. The equipment changes the way I do everything. I probably will have a power outlet for my center even if I do go that route just for future growth. Also I need to determine if my left and right has a sub or not. I think I might make the same choice, I will probably just run 20a circuits, RCA, and speaker wire to all the locations that way whatever choice I make will be covered. Thanks for the advise.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMike View Post

Actually because of the sound proofing measures I am taking the equipment choices are very important because I need to finalize where i need all my power and what wires I need. If I go with a powered center channel or not. The equipment changes the way I do everything. I probably will have a power outlet for my center even if I do go that route just for future growth. Also I need to determine if my left and right has a sub or not. I think I might make the same choice, I will probably just run 20a circuits, RCA, and speaker wire to all the locations that way whatever choice I make will be covered. Thanks for the advise.

I put outlets with blind endings in the equipment rack area for all floor speaker positions just in case i wanted powered speakers and it paid off bigtime since my original plans changed a lot and i ended up with powered speakers.

Blazar!