Why are there so few women on this forum? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've been happily married for 22 years and I was really into 2 channel when I met my wife, so she knew what she was getting !

The whole subject of spend now / save for retirement is very interesting and whilst we are keenly aware of having enough to see us through, I've never, ever considered a purchase as adding to my working life. I've sometimes calculated how many days / weeks I need to work to buy something, but I don't add it on at the end ... I think if I started doing that I'd never upgrade again !! eek.gif

Initially my wife was against the idea of a dedicated space, but now she can see how great it is for entertaining, how much use the kids get, and like others have said - I'd rather have the kids here with friends where we can keep an eye on them.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Its probably not worth spending money on any sort of home theatre if its "scarcely used" but if you watch lots of movies a half decent HT is worth every penny surely?
post #33 of 58 Old 04-05-2014, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm really late to this thread, obviously, but I visit AVS from time to time and enjoy reading the various threads. I'm a huge movie fan and have hundreds of DVDs/Blu-rays. The most recent Blu-ray I bought was "Seven Pyschopaths" (dark and hilarious movie with a great cast....check it out if you get a chance).

When my guy and I bought our first flat screen, I was the one who was particular about the television and did a bit of research on it, even returning a Sony because it did some stuff I wasn't crazy about once we got it home.... We ended up with a Samsung. I would love to have a home theater with loud, booming, surround-sound speakers (YASSS!), but no room here for that in an apartment....let alone the rudeness factor if we blared loud speakers in this place....

There may not (sadly) be lot of women that seem to be into this stuff, but we're out there! smile.gif
superleo likes this.
post #34 of 58 Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Liked: 14
I just can't imagine my wife ever finding the details of a DIY HT interesting, she nods off when I explain the technical reason for anything. Oddly though, she'll always ask why something is the way it is and as soon as I open my mouth she's glued back to her facebook account. It's just her, she has a curiosity, but only at a superficial level. When I told her I wanted to dedicate our next rental's basement to being a HT, she had zero objection because she will use it all the time. But upon showing her projectors, speakers and receivers all I get is, "that's nice." Or,"oh get that one I like 3D."
post #35 of 58 Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Liked: 32
Funny I was just thinking about this. And I thought of my theater "build" thread. All the minute details on Lot of threads. I'm just like..here I did this
Wonder what it all means smile.gif
post #36 of 58 Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
because my wife wants to spend $30,000 on trim, fancy wood paneling in the dining room, paint, and upgraded cabinets, a clock, pictures, and new granite countertops on our 1 year old home, and doesn't understand why i need all this insulation. I won the battle because i have been averaging 60 hours a week working overtime for 5 years to save up for this theater. she was perfectly happy with my $1000 theater in the last house.
post #37 of 58 Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have been EXCESSIVELY blessed to be the proud and never endingly grateful possessor of the single most important attribute when it comes to the ease and simplicity of ANY decision making, regarding a home theater....

WAIT FOR IT......

WAIT FOR IT.....

BACHELORHOOD!
post #38 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The AVS forum is not primarily for the enjoyment of movies (as made evident by the many sub-forums for speakers, subs, DIY, screens, projectors, dedicated theater building, etc. Don't see more than what, 1 or 2 sub-forums just for movies?). It is for the enjoyment of the REPRODUCTION of the movies. The sound, the video, all of the individual components that make up what goes into replicating the theater experience, dedicating hundreds of hours to building rooms for this, and far more money spent doing it. This is primarily a guy thing, not a female thing. Not once have I ever run into a woman (or head talk from others) that was willing/wanting to do what we do on this forum. You say your wife is "not the norm" for not liking this kind of hobby. I say that pretty much is the norm for women. Does it mean that no women like this kind of hobby? No. It just means the majority probably like more "girlish" things. Large, bulky (and sometimes ugly) speakers, subs, and other such things don't appeal to them. Even if you get some nice finishes, it still doesn't really change it that drastically.

Most women I know are into makeup, movies and tv, going out A LOT to do things, meeting other people, being active, partying, etc. Not sitting in a carefully constructed dungeon watching movies. (Dungeon was just for effect, some people here have batcaves, cathedrals, or normal theater rooms or even living rooms, but you get the point) Hell, most guys I know don't really like this hobby that much either. (At least not to some of the extremes that some of us go to here on the forum). Sure they like to watch movies at loud volumes and feel their house shake or play video games on something bombastic, but that's a very small portion of what they usually do. Certainly not enough to warrant spending more than $2000. Most are content with what they have because it suits their lifestyle.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #39 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningOrb View Post

I just can't imagine my wife ever finding the details of a DIY HT interesting, she nods off when I explain the technical reason for anything. Oddly though, she'll always ask why something is the way it is and as soon as I open my mouth she's glued back to her facebook account. It's just her, she has a curiosity, but only at a superficial level. When I told her I wanted to dedicate our next rental's basement to being a HT, she had zero objection because she will use it all the time. But upon showing her projectors, speakers and receivers all I get is, "that's nice." Or,"oh get that one I like 3D."

This ^^ My wife could care less about the nuances of optimizing the home theater, much like I could care less about appropriately tagging a facebook photo of what we ate for dinner last night and where. But we both enjoy watching movies. While she doesn't care about the how or why of good sound reproduction, she can absolutely tell the difference between watching a flick in the theater, in our living room (which has a great but not awesome surround setup), a movie theater, and a TV with a soundbar. She cares much more about the content than the absolute quality of sound/video. However, some movies she likes are just so much better when we watch them in the theater, and that has made the difference in her accepting my obsession.
post #40 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Just an interesting factoid on the choices woman make, A little dated but the trend is clear

post #41 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 86
My wife actually helped quite a bit with our build (so far). I mean, she helped me pull wire, hang the screen. I think she thinks the theater was her idea . . . biggrin.gif
post #42 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My wife loves movies and enjoys the theater but has no interest in the building of it or anything to do with it (doesn't like dealing with any renovation) design or technical. She can't even figure out the Harmony remote.

She can find 10 ways to buy clothing online or through her smartphone but AV gear, forget about it.

The theater is for me, I'm just glad the rest of the family enjoys it too.

Take a look at the tech or electronics industry, meaning the actual computer science or engineering disciplines; you'll find most are men.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #43 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10

We are doing our theater as part of a basement remodeling/finishing, and to be honest my wife was a big help with the design, color choices, lighting and generally empowering me to make the right choices, which always seem to be the more expensive choices.

By a large margin, I will be the main user of the space, but we will also use it as a family and the kids will use it with their friends. My wife enjoys the occasional movie, but is no where near the movie fan that I am.

My wife doesn't understand a thing about the technical aspects, nor does she want to, but it wouldn't have turned out as well as it has without her.

post #44 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Perhaps women phenotypically are different based on underlying genetics and just dont obsess about the same stuff...

Blazar!
post #45 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Perhaps women phenotypically are different based on underlying genetics and just dont obsess about the same stuff...

A woman's phenotype is by definition due to their genes (e.g. extra 'x').

Women aren't here because if they even care about the technical aspects of home theater, it's man who get the movie experience right! Same thing with a clean kitchen on the other end.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #46 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 32
I'm so proud of myself for biting my tongue all the time!!! Lol! Dishes...as if lol
post #47 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Oof.. the whole nature vs nurture tack. I tend to look at the 'nature' part as a pernicious excuse that locks people into well defined but limited roles. That is, we look at how we turn out after a lifetime of social conditioning and rather than say "we did this so we can change this", we find a way of showing that "it's how we were born" and thus there is nothing to be done for it. Bah.

In this particular case, I don't think it need come into play at all. We are all adults that have grown up mostly in similar societies that do reinforce rigid gender roles. By the time you're in your 20s, nature vs nurture no longer has relevance since you are who you are, regardless of provenance. Those roles for women certainly don't include building a theater or fixing up an old car!

I'll have to say that this thread continues to exceed my expectations on responses. So many different points of view. Love it!
post #48 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been trying to get my son interested in technical things and cannot get him to develop much intellectual curiosity for just about anything... A lot more like my wife in many ways.

My younger is son is not as quick to learn/memorize stuff but is much more curious, will initiate projects on his own, and I am less concerned about his long term success.

Like all discussions about genetics and phenotypes please don't take away the message that EVERYONE must fit generalizations and stereotypes.

At the end of the day, you DO NOT choose what you like or when you like it.

There is only nature and nurture. Neither give anyone what they truly desire... A perfectly free will (free of their intrinsic likes and dislikes coloring every decision and past experiences that your mind can never truly forget).

At the end of the day, nurture is just as uncontrollable as nature since you dont choose your parents or society growing up.

Blame whatever you want but speakers, wires, receivers, and other equipment was not pushed upon me by the people I know nor by any marketing of the time. I saw this stuff sitting around and was inexplicably attracted to it. I know of not a SINGLE woman anywhere that I have ever met (and I meet a LOT of people) that like audio equipment as a hobby. Probabaly most women aren't interested but there are exceptions to everything in biology (for the sake of adaptability).

Women seem as uninterested in audio equipment as a gay man would be interested in an intimate relationship with a woman.

People HATE the idea that there are features about their personality that are not theirs to choose.

I can't stop liking audio gear any more than my wife can start. I am always drawn toward it, my wife away. Even if there was some mystical inspirational event that were to occur in the future that can make me hate audio stuff ... i have no idea what that might be. Since I can't predictably self inspire myself to hate audio gear... My free will is dubious at best.

The idea that women and men are different is not in doubt. How different we are and why out likes and dislikes vary and why our societies became structured the way they are are largely genetic. To deny this would be to deny that a bee makes beehives based on genetics.

environment -> Genetics -> humans -> individual behaviors <-> group behaviours <-> infleunce enviroment -> infulence genetics

Fairly simple chain of events... We collectively wish we were under greater control of our destiny and like to deny our lack of control at every turn.

If i were gay, it wouldn't suprise me that I wouldn't want to marry a woman most likely. If I were a woman it wouldn't suprise me if I would want to bear children. If I were black it would not surprise me if my legs:thorax ratio was larger making it more likely to run faster. If I were northern european white it wouldnt surprise me that I would possibly swim faster. I dont buzz around like a bee since I dont have the genetics of a bee. I dont build mounds like an ant since I dont have the DNA sequence of an ant.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with women not liking audio junk... Its not as if it makes men intrinsically "better"... Thats just a useless value judgement. One could argue that being obsessed with audio gear (or obsession/passion for anything) is like being a deer in headlights and "useless". The women may be right... Lol.

Blazar!
post #49 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Genetics and epi-genetics certainly play a significant role in personality. One would be hard pressed otherwise to find a reason why I would be so fascinated by technology (life-long computer geek) but my nine siblings have shown no interest at all. That list includes my four brothers, though, in addition my five sisters. I can hardly ascribe a genetic gender line to the topic when only 25% of the boys in my family became so inclined.

Another anecdote - when my daughter was born, my wife and I tried our best to raise her in a gender-neutral fashion. I felt (and still feel) that limiting a child's choices based on gender role drastically limits their potential. So she had trucks and dolls; legos and tea sets; pants and dresses; pink and blue. At no point was anything forced on her -- she played with what she had fun with, and it covered a wide swath. Then she went into pre-school... and within weeks of being in constant contact with other girls her age, she completely abandoned anything even remotely "boy" related. It was all princesses, dolls, and horses for the next decade. We tried to still give her opportunities to expand her boundaries, but her peers were a far greater influence than her parents, in this regard. She was every bit the stereotypical girly-girl, but I maintain that genetics had little to do with that.

Genetics define or help define our personalities, our physical abilities, our personalities, and even our very human-ness. Genetics can also create wide stripes of typical behaviors within gender, based on such things as testosterone or estrogen and so many other physical differences.

BUT there are absolutely limits to all this. Many many studies are done on this topic and one thing I've noticed is that the more careful the study, the more we see how alike we are all on a genetic level. There's certainly not enough common gender differences to explain the vast majority of cases where genetics is blamed.

Again, I do think this is largely academic (except for with young children) since societal influences (family, religion, community, etc) are so pervasive and so powerful that the end result becomes entirely predictable, regardless of source. C'est la vie.

Thanks for your take on this, blazar -- I can agree or disagree with specific points you make, but in the end, it's all great food for thought!
post #50 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Just an interesting factoid on the choices woman make, A little dated but the trend is clear

Interesting to see this ...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #51 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

That's not to say I wouldn't love to see women interested in these things that are not "traditional" areas for women. It's just that today, we have a society in which it is literally possible to do all of those things but they still don't attract women so easily. My mother was among one of the first female physicians out of our state in India and that played a big role in me being here in America today. The highest marriage success rates occur in two professional working pairs. There is nothing better for a happy marriage than to marry a smart woman according to statistics. Nothing I say should be taken as "sexist" or "racist" in a derogatory way but to deny that large swaths of people on average are different is to deny reality.

There is no telling where my propensity for audio equipment came from since nobody out of my approximately 20 cousins has any real interest in either electronics or audio at the same level. I am not even in these areas as a career, but it still holds an attraction for me and to a lesser degree my only brother. More power to anyone who finds enjoyment in what I also have a TON of fun with!

Blazar!
post #52 of 58 Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Actually, my wife did all the fabric in our room. I prepared the firring and channels for her and she went to town. She even did the 4K fabric for my screen.......quite the trooper.....

As far as the technical stuff, she could careless......as long as she can listen to the "Voice", "American Idol", "Dancing with the Stars" etc. she is as happy as a clam at high tide. She's definitely enjoying the theater room more than I thought........and is supportive of all the expenses too! Quite the bonus! cool.gif
post #53 of 58 Old 05-13-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

She could defintely hear and feel the changes as I improved the theater... She just lost even a modicum of interest in how it was done. When we were first married she "showed interest" because that is what people do...

Blazar!
post #54 of 58 Old 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM

preferring an outlook that's decidedly slanted to the more, shall we say, 'baser instincts', I have to wonder if this conversation hasn't gone WAY off the rails, or not? biggrin.gif

I see it happening like this. Bunch of guys in an area -any area, it doesn't matter- are hanging out talking about stuff they all seem to like doing - ie building home theaters. They're comparing building strategies, design layouts, component specs, and all sorts of other stuff relating to this grand 'ol hobby of ours. There could be some music playing not too loudly in the background, prolly zepplin or something along those lines, some cigar smoke in the air, a few drinks on the tables, and more likely than not - some burgers and dogs floating around. Just your basic typical guy hangout, that's all. No big deal.

Then, as happens at EVERY sausage fest - somebody chimes in with, "Hey, there's no chicks here." NOW, at this very instant - the immediate and instinctual reaction - even if only for a split second - is for every guy in the room to start looking around for the best place to set up a pole, and to wonder how long it would take to actually get some strippers there. That's the 1st thought, it's automatic, can't be helped. Of course, the very next thought is, how much is it gunna cost. That ones pretty automatic too, come to think of it.

ANYWAY - I believe, it was with that basic overall sentiment, that the post, "Why are there so few women on this forum?" was made. HOWEVER - since this isn't 'really' a guy hangout, just a virtual one, AND there's written PROOF (ie- evidence) of anything being said - this thread has practically mutated into a scientific dissertation on the differences between men and women, as an effort to conceal what would - IN ANY 'GUY' ROOM IN THE WORLD - have nearly instantly become a conversation about nothing but Trixie, the pole, and that song 'Pour some sugar on me' eek.gif

obviously I'm just kidding around here, but it was gettin a little serious in here guys, besides, there's never a bad time to add a little laughter into, ...well, ...anything.

"I'm hot, sticky sweet, from my head, to my feet, yeah!" wink.gif
post #55 of 58 Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

We should all admit that our favorite singer is Miley Cyrus... I know there is a wrecking ball involved which seems fascinating

Blazar!
post #56 of 58 Old 05-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Now THAT'S a chick that belongs on a pole if I ever saw 1! I can't stand her myself, but watching her with the sound turned off ain't 1/2 bad really. And what's with that twerk nonsense? A cross between Twist and Jerk, a type of dance move? I THINK NOT! It's a cross between TWERP and JERK and it's a description of the idiot person moving like!

Did you see what the hell she just did?
Pfft. what a twerk.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #57 of 58 Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My wife actually works with me at GIK Acoustics and was in the movie business before that, so she loves the theater room (actually refitting now). But we do have a running joke that I own the theater and she owns the rest of the house. smile.gif

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #58 of 58 Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post

My wife actually works with me at GIK Acoustics and was in the movie business before that, so she loves the theater room (actually refitting now). But we do have a running joke that I own the theater and she owns the rest of the house. smile.gif

That's the running joke that we have as well...although she tends to get annoyed if I remind her the kitchen is hers, the laundry room is hers, etc.

My wife has helped me/is helping me (since I likely will NEVER finish my HT at this slow rate) down there. She has helped me plumb, electrical, carpentry, etc. The only thing she truly hates is helping me fish cable....she says I yell a lot. smile.gif

I, honestly, can say that she has helped a lot in something she has little interest. She'd probably be still happy with an old CRT watching her chick flicks and DIY/home improvement shows..
oman321 likes this.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page