Panino's Home Theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #181 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a Jamestown screen and ran into the same delays you describe. Promised ship dates come and go without any communication. I don't think my delay was quite as long as yours but still very frustrating. I called them on multiple occasions to voice my displeasure regarding the delays and the lack of communication but I felt that was the only way I was going to see the screen I had paid for. The good thing is when you finally get your screen they seem to be pretty good quality for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post
I have a Jamestown screen and ran into the same delays you describe. Promised ship dates come and go without any communication. I don't think my delay was quite as long as yours but still very frustrating. I called them on multiple occasions to voice my displeasure regarding the delays and the lack of communication but I felt that was the only way I was going to see the screen I had paid for. The good thing is when you finally get your screen they seem to be pretty good quality for the price.
Thanks Vanice. That puts me a little more at ease. I just got off the phone with James (again). Turns out Seymour ran out of fabric and then he ran out of aluminum rails for the frames, so apparently the combination put him behind. So I guess this explains at least some of the delay. He thinks (not sure though) that my screen may be shipping early next week... so I have my fingers crossed. I am skeptical though.
post #183 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 132
My Friend had same issue with Jamstown that is why I wet DIY Seymour.
post #184 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand there are delays in manufacturing of products that can't be helped. My big problem was the lack of communication. It doesn't take 5 minutes to pick up the phone and let your customer know the status. Email is even easier. For anyone reading this thinking about going with Jamestown, plan way ahead when ordering. It's a good product and definitely saved me time as I already had enough DIY projects on my plate.
panino likes this.
post #185 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
My Friend had same issue with Jamstown that is why I wet DIY Seymour.
I too was very close to going the DIY route, but with all the other side projects I have going on I figured I'd outsource this one. I'm starting to think that may have been a bad idea. Hopefully Jamestown will prove me wrong when I finally get my screen.
post #186 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Your going to get it for sure I never heard anyone who did not and all were happy once it comes in. Just keep bugging them. Also verfy if you are getting 2.35:1 and remind them. My friend did and they almost scred up and sent 16x9 I have read on here where they have sent 16x9 by mistake. Insure you remind them of teh format.
vanice likes this.
post #187 of 225 Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your going to get it for sure I never heard anyone who did not and all were happy once it comes in. Just keep bugging them. Also verfy if you are getting 2.35:1 and remind them. My friend did and they almost scred up and sent 16x9 I have read on here where they have sent 16x9 by mistake. Insure you remind them of teh format.
Good advice. I almost had the same issue. Had I not verified the size again over the phone I would have received a 16:9 instead of the 2.35:1 I ordered.
post #188 of 225 Old 11-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow! you are unbelievable man.. your carpentry skills are absolutely amazing!!!
congratulations on your build.. looks fantastic.
post #189 of 225 Old 11-08-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman101 View Post
wow! you are unbelievable man.. your carpentry skills are absolutely amazing!!!
congratulations on your build.. looks fantastic.
I don't know about amazing, but thank you for the compliment. I just wish my drywall skills were as good as my woodworking skills.
post #190 of 225 Old 11-08-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Last several days nearly finished nailing up the baseboard, chair rail, cove and panel moulding. Took me a little while due to the extra angles and corners. Here are some pix...

I wasn't sure how I wanted the transition on this side of the riser to look, but I think this was the best of all the options floating around in my head. Since the riser side basically is flush with the corner of the wall, there were only a few options on how to do this transition and make it look right. I decided to extend the paneling and chair rail around the corner to ease the transition. But instead of making the turn with the base, I decided to end the baseboard below and on the riser with returns. I left just enough room so that I could still add a piece of corner trim later if I think it needs it.

The color swatches on the wall are where I'm going with the color scheme for the room. All the trim and wainscoting will be a satin black as well as the columns. Everything on the wall above the chair rail will be red up to the crown moulding, which will be a satin black like the rest of the trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6584.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	355402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6588.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	355410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6587.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	355418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6586.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	355426  
post #191 of 225 Old 11-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great work! Looks fantastic. I am jealous of your progress to say the least.

I think your choices for transitioning the moulding work from the riser look very nice.

Sorry if you detailed previously, but what did you chose for the main lighting electrical switches? Did you go with something that can be automated later - z-wave, zigbee, etc?

Anxious to see your space with the RED added. That is going to be quite a bold contrast.
post #192 of 225 Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Great job on your wainscoting! Is that 1/2" or 3/4" MDF? Primer looks greenish in the pics - is it more black?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #193 of 225 Old 11-11-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApilgrim View Post
Great work! Looks fantastic. I am jealous of your progress to say the least.

I think your choices for transitioning the moulding work from the riser look very nice.

Sorry if you detailed previously, but what did you chose for the main lighting electrical switches? Did you go with something that can be automated later - z-wave, zigbee, etc?

Anxious to see your space with the RED added. That is going to be quite a bold contrast.

Thanks! The can lights are on Legrand Adorne dimmers. Unfortunately they are not z-wave compatible. I figure if I ever want to go the remote route I'll just swap them out at a later date. The dimmers are pretty nice though. I have 3 dimmers for different zones - perimeter cans, stage wash lights, and in column and behind screen lights. This last zone I have not hooked up yet. I'll probably do that toward the very end.

The LED lights are on RBG controllers that are wall mount. Again, there is no remote capability. I have two controls, one for the light tray or cove lighting and the second to control LED lights that will be under the riser lip. The LED controllers are in this previous post as well as other LED supplies if interested:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1516609-panino-s-home-theater-6.html#post28288898
post #194 of 225 Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post
Great job on your wainscoting! Is that 1/2" or 3/4" MDF? Primer looks greenish in the pics - is it more black?
Thank you! The wainscot paneling is 1/2" MDF. The primer is a very very dark gray. It doesn't look green, must be the lighting. I just needed something very dark to avoid a lighter color potentially showing through the black paint that will go on top. I used porter paints Blankit primer. They said it was the primer they carried that could be tinted the darkest.
post #195 of 225 Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely time for an update, although I'm not sure the room looks much different. Over the last week (in my limited time) I put together the frames for the 2 fabric framed doors that will flank the sides of the screen. This will allow me access to my AV closet as well as the speakers behind the screen. I used some 1x4s and screwed them together with a Kreg jig.

Added a cross-brace down the center for some more support...

I'm going to attach the door to the furring strips on the wall with European style cabinet hinges. Here is a closeup of one that I mortised in to the frame. Essentially the doors are nothing more than really really large cabinet doors.

Also added more trim (yes more). I veneered the sides of the riser with some nice sanded ply and attached a small base. I'm planning on painting this black.

I also installed all of the trim work on the columns...

Here is the room as it stands tonight... I've finished spackling every little nook and cranny in the paneling and trim and sanded it down. Did this two times... three in some places. I just started caulking the trim work tonight.

As soon as I get the caulking finished up I'll prime the trim work and paneling and start painting the room.

On another note... my screen finally arrived just the other day from Jamestown!!! It looks like it arrived in good shape (packaged pretty well). Only took about 2-1/2 months. I'll have to try and get it assembled sometime next week, assuming I can find a safe place to store it until I get the room painted and carpeted. I've set a date for carpet as well (Dec 11th), so the room has to be mostly done by then. I now have a deadline!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6760.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	375154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6758.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	375162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6756.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	375170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6740.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	375178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6739.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	375186  

Name:	IMG_6737.jpg
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	375194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6735.jpg
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	375202  
Jonny5nz likes this.
post #196 of 225 Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Go to bed already (I see you posted at midnight) Looks good keep it up.
post #197 of 225 Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Really enjoying your build panino - great work!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #198 of 225 Old 11-20-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Great work. What type of lumber are you using for the rails and styles on cabinet doors flanking the screen?
The biggest challenge when I have built large cabinet doors in the past is warping. The tiniest bend can throw one corner out a 1/2 inch.

post #199 of 225 Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Great work. What type of lumber are you using for the rails and styles on cabinet doors flanking the screen?
The biggest challenge when I have built large cabinet doors in the past is warping. The tiniest bend can throw one corner out a 1/2 inch.
Warping of the door frames was definitely a concern. And given the length of the frames (~6.5 ft) it is possible. I thought about using oak, but thought it would be too heavy. I used some high grade pine for the frames, so I was able to get some perfectly straight pieces. However, I can't guarantee they'll stay straight after I stretch fabric on them or with humidity changes. I hope they do, but if not I guess I could always put some steel bracing on the backside for stability.

I also have some really strong neodymium magnets that if need be I could throw on the bottom and top corners to pull in the doors to the stop if I get a little warpage.
post #200 of 225 Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Go to bed already (I see you posted at midnight) Looks good keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post
Really enjoying your build panino - great work!

Yeah I'm trying to get as much done as possible since I've got carpet scheduled and chairs on the way as well. I'm working night shift next week, so good chance I'll be a zombie during the day and getting nothing done.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! The end is in sight...
post #201 of 225 Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
awesome trim work
post #202 of 225 Unread 11-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Holy smokes! Love'n the trim, especially the true recessed panels! Looks phenomenal to say the least!

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
post #203 of 225 Unread 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Holy smokes! Love'n the trim, especially the true recessed panels! Looks phenomenal to say the least!
Thanks! I just checked out your thread. Nice ceiling! After my amateurish drywall job on mine, makes me wish I would have done something like that. Looks incredible.
post #204 of 225 Unread 11-26-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

A truck showed up with a few items from Roman for me yesterday...

7 brand new theater chairs! Roman has a new model, the Streamline, that I decided to go with. Guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs on this one since no one else has them yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6841.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	386953  
post #205 of 225 Unread 12-03-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

A few days ago I turned several strips of raw 4/4 red oak into some nice bullnose trim for my riser. After ripping several pieces down to size I chamfered one edge and put a rabbet on the opposite side. Then glued a smaller 1 x 1.5" piece on the bottom to thicken up the lip. The rabbet is to allow the carpet guys a little groove to tuck the carpet into. The chamfer is just to soften the edge of the trim that will abut the carpet.

I then rounded over the top and bottom edge of the lip with a 1/2" roundover bit. Here is the side of a finished piece.

I found these neat little plastic groove things to hold LED lights in. So decided to go with these rather than recessing the lights. They are black and very shallow (~1/4"), so you can't see them under the lip.

I attached the bullnose to the riser after screwing these channels on. You can see a counterbored hole for one of the screws in this pic. Also used a biscuit jointer to help line up the edges.

Here is a picture of the trim once attached. You can just barely see the LED channel and I took this while laying on the ground. Oh yes... the walls are red now!

Here's a little preview. Walls still need another coat, hence the patchiness, but overall I really like the red color! I started painting the trim black, but have quite a bit left to paint.

I still need to chisel off and sand flat the oak plugs that cover the screw holes you see in the pictures above. I'm going to stain the oak bullnose a very very dark ebony stain and then varnish it. Should blend in quite well with all the black painted trim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6863.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	401026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6862.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	401034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6860.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	401042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6854.jpg
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	401050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6842.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	401058  

Name:	IMG_6872.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	401066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6868.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	401074  
Tedd and Jonny5nz like this.
post #206 of 225 Unread 12-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Great Progress, and looks great! I have been debating between carpeting my riser edges & trim work. I think the trim looks fantastic, but using carpet is much faster!

I don't know if you have a stain plan already for your riser, but post 97 in this thread talks about his stain process and it is a fairly dark stain: Hidden in Bethesda - a family theater

Keep up the good work... Will you be done in time to enjoy a few movies over the holidays?
post #207 of 225 Unread 12-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks great! The red really makes the room pop. How many coats of that red do you have up? I had painted a room in my old house a darker red like that and man did it take a lot of coats to make it look even and hide the imperfections.

I don't know what I would do without my Kreg jig - it will make quick work of my panels like yours some day I hope.
post #208 of 225 Unread 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Great Progress, and looks great! I have been debating between carpeting my riser edges & trim work. I think the trim looks fantastic, but using carpet is much faster!

I don't know if you have a stain plan already for your riser, but post 97 in this thread talks about his stain process and it is a fairly dark stain: Hidden in Bethesda - a family theater

Keep up the good work... Will you be done in time to enjoy a few movies over the holidays?

The oak trim has taken a lot of work, but I wanted to dress up the riser more than just carpet. Carpet would have definitely been the easier way out. I read that post... his wood dye looks fantastic. I wish I had the time to try that. I elected to just use some good ol' Minwax wood stain. The darkest they have is ebony. Today I put about 3 coats of stain on the trim. It ended up a really dark brown despite 3 coats. However, due to having to stain the boards in the house and complaints from the wife... I will unfortunately be stopping at 3 and no more. I think the dark brown will look ok though since the carpet that is going in next week is a very very dark brown as well. Tomorrow I'm going to varnish the trim and be done with it.

I should have the room mostly done by the holidays, but I don't know if I'll have everything done (e.g. speaker grills and front screen fabric panels and doors). I should be able to watch movies by the end of the month... as long as I don't fall into that trap... "oh I'll just finish the rest of this later. Tonight I'm going to watch a movie in my 1/2 done theater."

I'm also making 2 subs, which I won't get to until sometime early next year.
post #209 of 225 Unread 12-04-2014, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApilgrim View Post
Looks great! The red really makes the room pop. How many coats of that red do you have up? I had painted a room in my old house a darker red like that and man did it take a lot of coats to make it look even and hide the imperfections.

I don't know what I would do without my Kreg jig - it will make quick work of my panels like yours some day I hope.

Thanks! The red really looks even better in person that the photos show... at least it does today. At the time I took those pictures I think I had 2 or 3 coats on the walls. You can see the splotchy spots. I've since put two more coats on and it looks much much better. Tomorrow I'm going to put the 5th and final coat on. Yes... 5!

A guy at porter paints told me that the very vibrant deep colors like the one I chose somehow don't conceal as well due to the amount of pigment that has to go in the paint.

I like making traditional wood jointery, but the Kreg jig definitely makes sticking 2 pieces of wood together much faster and easier.
post #210 of 225 Unread 12-04-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

kmhvball... in case you do end up the wood trim route instead of carpet. The post showing the black dye looks sharp, but there are advantages and disadvantages to dye vs typical wood stain. I've never tried the dyes, but I know they offer a larger range of colors and you can supposedly more easily get the exact intensity you want depending on how you dilute the dye. Where I know they differ is in highlighting the wood grain. If you want the grain pattern in a wood to stand out from the background a typical pigmented stain is better. The stain tends to collect more in the coarser parts of the wood. A dye will more uniformly color the wood and not enhance the grain pattern.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rc52 Dual 5 25 Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Ash , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 52 , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Pt Ae3000u Lcd 1080p Proj 60k 1 1600 Lumens Hdmi Component Svid , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr706 by PriceGrabber.com