Definitely time for an update, although I'm not sure the room looks much different. Over the last week (in my limited time) I put together the frames for the 2 fabric framed doors that will flank the sides of the screen. This will allow me access to my AV closet as well as the speakers behind the screen. I used some 1x4s and screwed them together with a Kreg jig.
Added a cross-brace down the center for some more support...
I'm going to attach the door to the furring strips on the wall with European style cabinet hinges. Here is a closeup of one that I mortised in to the frame. Essentially the doors are nothing more than really really large cabinet doors.
Also added more trim (yes more). I veneered the sides of the riser with some nice sanded ply and attached a small base. I'm planning on painting this black.
I also installed all of the trim work on the columns...
Here is the room as it stands tonight... I've finished spackling every little nook and cranny in the paneling and trim and sanded it down. Did this two times... three in some places. I just started caulking the trim work tonight.
As soon as I get the caulking finished up I'll prime the trim work and paneling and start painting the room.
On another note... my screen finally arrived just the other day from Jamestown!!! It looks like it arrived in good shape (packaged pretty well). Only took about 2-1/2 months. I'll have to try and get it assembled sometime next week, assuming I can find a safe place to store it until I get the room painted and carpeted. I've set a date for carpet as well (Dec 11th), so the room has to be mostly done by then. I now have a deadline!