Shaw Family HT 2.0 Begins! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everybody....long time lurker, first-time-in-a-long-time poster.  I forgot my log-in info from years ago, so I created a new account. 

So, here’s my story...I moved to Georgia 9 years ago and a little over 8 years ago I built my first dedicated home theater. I spent a lot of time in these forums learning (and the learning curve was pretty steep). But I was grateful for all of the fantastic advice I received during my first build.  We had a lot of great family/friend time spent in that theater.  I have 5 kids, so the theater got used a lot.  One time we had a bunch of friends over for a party and all the kids went down to watch a movie (Napoleon Dynamite, if I recall correctly).  There was 23 kids stacked in the theater (ages 3 to 16)!  Good times. 

Fast forward 8 years. About a year ago we sold our home and in July we moved into our new (new to us) home. We are finally settled, the holidays are behind us, and I'm itching to start designing/building my home theater version 2.0. The basement in the new home is already 80% finished.  When the previous owners had the basement finished, they set aside a room that they intended to be a theater.  It’s 12’6” x 22’0” with 9 foot ceilings.  There are no soffits or bulkheads in the room that I have to deal with.  The room has electrical, HVAC and is dry walled/mudded (yeah!  minimal amount of mudding and taping for me!).   Basically, its a blank slate ready to be transformed into a home theater.  As I go through is journey, I’m looking  forward to getting a lot of input from you all on this build.

When we were moving in, the theater room was our official “dumping ground”.  During the past couple of days I’ve build some storage shelves and have nearly have the room emptied out.  Once the room is 100% cleaned out, I’ll take some pictures and post them in here.

Below is a rough sketch of what my plans are.  Since I’m still in the planning stages, most of my equipment, acoustical treatment, and other selections have yet to be made.  I’ll use a lot of the stuff from my original theater. 

Screen:  My prior screen was 100 inch (diagonal) 16:9 screen.  This time, I’d like to have 120” wide 2.35:1 screen that is acoustically transparent.  I’m guessing that the screen wall will be about 24-30 inches from the front of the room. 

Riser:  I’ll have a 12 inch high riser that is six feet deep for the back row.  On the left hand side, I’ll build a step.

Projector:  Still to be decided.  I like the JVC projectors.  Likely go with the X35, but I really like the x55.  Is it worth the extra $$$?

Speakers:  7.2 surround using Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speakers.  These are the same speakers that I used in my version 1.0. 

Receiver:  I have a Denon AVR-3906 from my original theater.  I’ll likely upgrade my receiver, but have not decided yet which direction to go.  I’m toying with the idea of using my current receiver as a pre-amp. 

Blu Ray:  Need to get a new Blu Ray player.  Make and model still to be determined.

Lighting:  The room is currently roughed in for six sconce lights.  Two of them are right next to where the screen wall would be, so I won’t use those rough-ins.  There are also 6 can lights already in the room.  The placement of the current lights isn’t bad, so I’ll likely go with the current placement.  Need to figure out lighting automation.

Acoustical Treatment:  I’ll line the front wall with linacoustic.  I’ll also build some bass traps for the corners.  Planning on acoustical panels in the room at the first reflection points.  In my first theater, I had a minimal amount of acoustical treatment and my sound quality definitely suffered.  This go-round, acoustical treatment is a high priority. 

Sound Isolation:  The room already has pretty good insulation in the walls and in the ceiling.  I’m not planning on adding any additional sound proofing.  Plus, most of the time we watch movies as a family, so sound transmission isn’t a huge issue.  The one thing I might do is replace the current door with a solid core door. 

Chairs:  I have 7 home theater chairs that I had in my original theater.  They are still in great shape , so I’ll use them in my new theater.  The heads in the first row will be about 12 feet from the screen.  The folks in the back row will be about 20 feet away. 

Like I mentioned before, I look forward to your input and advice.  A lot has changed in the past 8 years since I built my original theater.  I feel like the learning curve is nearly as steep.  Thanks.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

So I go the future theater room all cleaned out, with a lot of help from my kids who carried up all of my theater chairs upstairs to my office (their temporary storage place).

Here is a peak into the theater:

A look towards the back of the room.  You can see where the sconce lights are roughed in.  Had to pull in a couple of stools to see how it felt to sit in the room.

And here is a look at the front of the room.  Taped off a 120 inch wide screen to see how it would fit/look/feel.  I like it!

post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Can't wait to see what you do with it! Sub'd!

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
With the length of your room I would consider moving both rows forward a couple feet to get the back row off of the wall for better sound quality.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

With the length of your room I would consider moving both rows forward a couple feet to get the back row off of the wall for better sound quality.

I like that suggestion.  Currently my front row would be about 12 feet from the screen and the back row would be about 20 feet from the screen.  If I moved the rows up a couple of feet, the front row would be 10 feet from the screen.  With a 120" wide screen, is this too close?  Or do you think I'd be OK?

post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
My room is very similar to yours. Door placement and width are spot on but your room is a little deeper. I wound up with a 115" wide 2.35:1 screen, so again, very similar to what you are looking at. I agree that sliding both rows 12-18" closer to the screen would help acoustics in the back of the room.

Distance from screen is a personal choice, but I think you would be fine 10' or 10-1/2' back from a 120" 2.35. I'm 9'-6" back from a 115".

Spaceman Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Nice space to work with. Almost identical to my dimensions as well. My front row is about 11' from a 120" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. Absolutely love how it fills up the screen wall. You may want to go a bit deeper on the riser. 6' may not quite cut it when you get the chairs on there. You should be able to get away with 6'10" ish. Will give you room to pull the rear seats forward a bit, and won't move the front row too much IMO. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the space. Good luck!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page