New House... Empty basement... Home Theatre!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So.. I just bought this house... The basement is over 1000sq ft... There is a large open area with very little in the way... 14'x28'. Concrete to concrete... And it's roughly 7-8 feet tall.

I am looking for cost effective options to building a room to become my theater room. 

I have basically nothing, except my Bose Lifestyle 28 system that is now roughly 15 years old. Not sure if this will work as a temporary sound system or if we will need to upgrade it as well... But I am hoping it will do for the first few years, and build the room to allow expansion for in-wall speakers, and other add-ins.

Can anyone give me suggestions on where to start? 

Thanks

Vlad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheLegend View Post

Can anyone give me suggestions on where to start? 

1. Give the Bose to a family friend / enemy.
  2. Spend the next six months making a plan - peruse the forums frequently, take notes, make a scrap book
  3. Hire the AVS design service
  4. Do what the AVS design service says to do
  5. Buy projector (this must be the last step!)
post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

1. Give the Bose to a family friend / enemy.
  2. Spend the next six months making a plan - peruse the forums frequently, take notes, make a scrap book
  3. Hire the AVS design service
  4. Do what the AVS design service says to do
  5. Buy projector (this must be the last step!)

AVS Design Service?  is this a real thing? Or do you mean, just ask more detailed questions?

post #4 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #5 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 738
use the Bose to play some tunes while building your theater, then move to the garage.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Considering the bose equipment appears adequate for interim use, and the question about "cost effective options to building a room" I'm not sure the full blown high end theater build with the services required to do so is actually the objective or an option.

Vlad- do you have a budget and any specific objectives in mind? That may help identify what's possible.

+1 on the suggestion to read, read, and read some more here first, as per suggestion 2 from jdanforth. Don't buy a thing just yet.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Keep in mind that this forum is all over the place as far as people's budgets, tastes, opinions, etc. I too think you need to give us more info regarding your budget (how much just to build the room - drywall, electric, carpet, etc.) and then how much for the fun stuff? Are you planning on doing everything DIY or paying people to build the room? How big of a concern is sound isolation for the rest of the house? Is it going to be a game room/living room or 100% dedicated theater?

Basically... read a ton of build threads, get a few scenarios in your head of what you may want to do, then ask specific questions to get better answers.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

As you've suggested, I have done some perusing... :)

I will be doing the majority of the work myself... I will be using the tray ceiling effect, with some lighting in the tray... (Would love to learn how the starlight effect is done, but expect that it's a very expensive option, so will likely put it out of my mind unless someone has a cheap option.)

I prefer the option of a fabric screen over painted drywall, so I have been reading a lot on those. And would like to have speakers behind the screen, rather then taking up floor space (Although I like a lot of what I've seen from others. 

I see myself building this over a few years (which that thought kills me, as I want it now... ) so I want to do it properly. Sound isolation isn't a huge deal... Bedrooms are on the second floor of the house, The theater room will be only a theater room. If I learn that 28x14 is simply too long, then I can make the room shorter... (Again, getting this right the first time is more important then anything else.)   

As far as Equipment, that will be the last piece as you've all suggested... But that makes it tricky, as building space in the walls to hide things will depend on the dimensions of the equipment I buy. How do I work around that?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheLegend View Post

(Would love to learn how the starlight effect is done, but expect that it's a very expensive option, so will likely put it out of my mind unless someone has a cheap option.)
Starfield ceilings don't have to be expensive. I did mine myself, and I couldn't be happier with the results given how much time I spent. I think I spent a grand total of about 20 hours on my entire ceiling, and I'll bet it cost around $400. My ceiling is 112 sqft, which is kinda large. In my opinion though, these kinds of ceilings only work well if you have a taller basement, 9' or higher.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Crash11, I was reading up on how you did your starfield on the ceiling... I would love more details... Any pictures of the back of a panel? (I assume its way too late to get pictures now... I guess I assumed you'd have to do this to the ceiling itself, and not an after effect...  Anyway, Thanks again... 

I got the clear to close, so now waiting on the seller's to get their act together and agree to close early so we can get in sooner... At which point, I can really start to draw up the design.  

Thanks Everyone!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page