Iron Man Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, even though i am a member of AVSforum for a long time, but this is my first post. I have been reading all of the great post and feeback out there and hope to get some feedback from you guys. Since this is my first post it might be lack details.

Right now my home theater is being constructed and it will takes sometimes.

I choose Iron Man Hall of Armor as my theme.

For the speakers setting I will choose the 7.1 setting
I am thinking to use 3 active speakers for the Left center and right, and for the surround i am planning to use B&W 600 bookshelf. and for the sub i am planning to use JL 8"
What do you think about the speakers choice? have you guys use the active speakers?

Before i didnt trust that the active speakers can do wonders, i was comparing it with B&W Diamond! and for me, B&W Diamond lacks the punch. Or maybe you guys can suggest a better ones?

My Room dimension is 22 x 29

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very cool! Will it play Iron Man as you walk into the theater too? Haha!
post #3 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hahaha smile.gif i will try to put motion sensors so jarvis can greet when someone enters.
Hopefully by the end of April i will be able to sound proof and install all the necessary cables.

Thats the angled side wall still being constructed.

It is still in the very early stage. But i am thinking to use two types of projectors, one for the movie, the other, maybe LED type for iron man hologram for the suits blueprints
post #4 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 05:18 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Your render looks fantastic! It would really be something if you were able to pull it off. I think your most difficult challenge would be to make the room sound good, especially with all of those hard surfaces. Without addressing the room's interior acoustics up front, you could be doing a big disservice to any speakers you choose.

Regarding your speaker selection. I have heard Meridian's active speakers, which are fantastic, but there are limitations to active speakers in that you won't be able to upgrade the DSP or, in most cases, play any of the ultra-high resolution DSD music files. They just don't have the bit depth. And with the size of your room I'd also have concerns about the type of speaker you are considering. I'd definitely look at a speaker system with some sort of directed waveguide like JBL, Genelec, Procella or JTR to name a few. If you are handy, you should take a solid look at building SEOS speakers http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic-seos-12/fiberglass-seos.html.

For your ceiling, I think there is an interesting product called light tape that might suit your need: http://www.lighttape.com/

To play on the Jarvis idea, you could initiate voice commands to your iPhone or iPad with an app called Siriproxy. Here's a how-to guide of how to install: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-siri-do-what-you-want-with-siriproxy-on-mac-os-x-and-ipad-3/

I'm sub'd and look forward to following along!
Korompisp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

@TMcG ,

Really Appreciate your input and tips, really what i am looking for in this discussion. I am will look into the speakers and siriproxy!!! thats totally new info that very useful.
For the acoustic actually i might use carpet for the floor, and rock wool or glass wool for the ceiling.

As the project gets develop i wish that you could continue to give some input, because as of now the room concept still very raw. and hopefully in 2 weeks i have already developed the Hall of armor actual dimension so i will know exactly how many suits i will be able to fit.

Once again highly appreciates your inputs. I will look into it.

post #6 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I agree on the reflective surfaces will be an issue. I can attest since I have a very reflective room myself. Take a look at Anthem receivers and pre pros to be the brains. The room correction software is top notch. You also have a very large room which will require some large speakers and power to back them up. An 8" sub is way to small as well - especially if you pan to play proper AC DC tunes to honor Iron Man. I'd suggest wiring for 2 to 4 subs. Good luck

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Any theater that has a Hall of Armor is worth subscribing to, I always say.

As others have mentioned, you will need to be careful with reflective surfaces. That floor is the first thing that jumped out at me. There is no reason you couldn't do the walls with fabric though, in order to add "hidden" acoustic treatments to the space. Just be careful using a light colored fabric by your screen. You might find something in here that you like.

Your room is large enough where you might have enough of the floor still visible once all the chairs are in there to still make it a key part of the design. From your photos, I could maybe see large squares of black carpet set in a grid with some type of contrasting spacer. Some type of floor light fixture like this, or this, or this at each grid intersection that could be dimmed when you dim the screen lights would be pretty cool.

I look forward to following along.
J_P_A likes this.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #8 of 71 Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

@Scout's and @Spaceman

Thanks for your inputs, I will keep in mind on the floor and walls,
here is my room layout, and as you can see it is not exactly a good layout for a home theater, so I will try mmy best and
try to find an ANTHEM receiver demo hopefully as Scouts's suggest for the room correction.
post #9 of 71 Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Might also be nice to look at a preamp / amp combination vs. a receiver. Emotiva is about to launch their flagship preamp in the coming months: http://www.xmc-1.com/ It has Dirac Live 7.2, which IS, without question, the most powerful room correction software available on the market. It is also among the first to have HDMI 2.0, making it 100% ready for 60fps 4K.

post #10 of 71 Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would drive a good distance to see this theater in person. I LOVE Ironman and an Ironman themed theater like you are planning looks awesome!
post #11 of 71 Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Looks very interesting - definitely following along on this one, too!

One suggestion - I'd make the half-bath open into the foyer, not the theater itself. Much less distracting to have folks enter/exit the room to a low-light foyer than to have light / sound spill into the theater directly from the bathroom.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #12 of 71 Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
+1 on changing the location of the bathroom door. Depending on what type of storage you have planned next to the bath, you could even access that area through the bath instead of through the theater. If it's utility/mechanical access, that might work. If it's AV storage, then maybe not. I'm just looking at your inspiration photo and having a door or pair of doors on one of the walls will certainly change the look. The less cluttered, the better.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #13 of 71 Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Jautor and Spaceman, damn your right! I didnt notice it before, good observation thanks, i will move the bathroom door.
So happy that you guys tag along smile.gif
post #14 of 71 Old 03-13-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

So far i have revised the door on the bathroom, but sadly i couldn't manage to move the storage door, maybe what i'll do is just camouflage the door so it would be seen as a door.
Well it sure will take along time before its done. In the mean time i am designing the hall of armor enclosure and motion graphics for the displays. Will post it when i have created the designs for these.
post #15 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, i must say the progress felt very slow. I have 5 things to do: 1. Finish the room, 2. Cable and Speaker system setup, 3. Hall of Armor construction including the Suits, 4. The Sound proofing for the room and 5. The technological aspects.

SO far while the room is still taking a long time, I am finalizing the War Machine, for me even though WM is not in TOny starks Hall of armor, but i felt i wanted it. since none of the statue avaliable I will show you guys a preview of things to come.

Thanks for the support!
post #16 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 AM

Liked: 21
statue looks awesome

JJ
post #17 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 257
WOW! That's awesome!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #18 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Ok, you win. That thing is AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing more of this!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #19 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
wow goosebumps! subscribed.

post #20 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Freaking awesome!!!

post #21 of 71 Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Subscribed! eek.gifcool.gif

------

post #22 of 71 Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
OK, you must tell us how you made that statue and are doing the other suits. Subscribed for sure!

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #23 of 71 Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
WTF eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifcool.gif

post #24 of 71 Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

OK, you must tell us how you made that statue and are doing the other suits. Subscribed for sure!

+1

Awesome project, anyway!

Wow!!!

Davide

> HT Utopia - visit the
or the AVS Forum
<

"If you can't believe a little in what you see on the screen, it's not worth wasting your time on cinema", S. Daney
post #25 of 71 Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 PM

Liked: 14
Sweet project! Also interested in the Statue, I am a 3D artist and to prototype something that big has to be awfully expensive! Subscribed.

Optoma HD25
Pioneer Elite VSX 03THX
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RXC
Monitor Audio R180HD
PS4
Xbox One
post #26 of 71 Old 03-26-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Looking forward for the progress!!! eek.gifsmile.gif Very Cool!

Showed the suit picture to my son and he said -- " Is that a real Iron man suit?"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #27 of 71 Old 03-27-2014, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!! My background is in post production and movie business, so i use my resource of talented prop makers to make the 1:1 scale. cool.gif So far i ve created the war machine 80% done and mark IV still in headless state smile.gif 60% i will try to upload later.

And my post production team to create motion graphic like the iron man HUD for the suits blue prints. This one is still very early stage.

Although i am quite good in post production and movie, i am still a newbie at home theater setup. So as I quoted comment from @TMcG "I think your most difficult challenge would be to make the room sound good, especially with all of those hard surfaces. Without addressing the room's interior acoustics up front, you could be doing a big disservice to any speakers you choose."
So this is my weakness, and thats why your input is very important for me. In my mind only the concept is strong but very poor in planning for the equipment regarding the HT itself.
So i will keep on updating when i gather the equipment list.

Here s a early photo of the War machine and preview of mark iv

post #28 of 71 Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I want those statues. Awesome work.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
post #29 of 71 Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will love following your build!

Look into using fabric walls/panels in combination with lighting effects to create the proper look. Then, you can place acoustic panels behind the fabric panels where needed to properly tune the room.

For example, behind the suits you could use fabric panels to hide the acoustic panels in that location. Ask others what kind of panels, I am still learning there. I was looking at a site called Spoonflower for printing larger fabric panels to look like concrete or wood paneling. I hope you find this helpful.
oman321 likes this.
post #30 of 71 Old 03-29-2014, 04:15 AM

Liked: 10
I love your idea and cant wait to see it to completion. I am life long prop guy and model builder and imo 1:1s really make a theater an experience for any guest. Subscribed
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page