In a equipment/dvd storage closet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I built mine directly into the wall behind and to the left of the seating area. Sometimes have to point the remote backwards for some things, but a minor hassle for not having to see the lights all the time. It also gives some small amount of ambient light to the room as well. I built it into the wall and used a Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37 rack.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hard drives spin, amplifiers hum, disc players have motors -- they all have lights and make noise. None of them should be in the room where you are trying to escape into the movie. Put the gear just outside the door of the theater, with access behind it. Put your disc in when you are ready to watch something, let the HDMI CEC turn on the projector for you and escape into the movie.

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print http://www.hometheater.com/writer/26443

Mocha Theater Construction thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527883/mocha-theater-construction 

Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post

Hard drives spin, amplifiers hum, disc players have motors -- they all have lights and make noise. None of them should be in the room where you are trying to escape into the movie. Put the gear just outside the door of the theater, with access behind it. Put your disc in when you are ready to watch something, let the HDMI CEC turn on the projector for you and escape into the movie.

Ha, well said.  I'm still back and forth but need to make a decision soon.  I love the look of the equipment "shown off" as you walk into the theater but I've never had anything like that before so I don't know how I'll like the detached essence of everything.  Everything points to it being a bit easier to wire up outside of the theater so we'll see but thanks again for all the input and pics. 

JSKMDWK likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Outside beats inside hands on, although I'm sure it will work as well, especially if you are going for the AT screen and false wall look, of course you could put equipment behind the screen, maybe just a perfectly scaled slot under the screen for your blueray player so it will still be accessible and flush with the wall.

But as said I prefer to have equipment outside the room itself, I personally had no choice in the matter, there was either get different speakers than I wanted or move my electronics wink.gif
Since I have a very tiny room, most of my electronics is now next to my noisy work comp on the side of my right wall, using and old hole I once made highly unprofessionally for when I had even noisier computers (I hate loud fan noise, and these comps where in the 75+ DB range)

My BD player is now nicely settled under my center speaker, but the rest including a ps3 is outside the room entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post

What he said smile.gif
Apart from HDMI CEC, that stuff has never done anything right in my book, I use a Harmony Ultimate, the hub is in the office, and I run one of the blasters into the HT area, works almost flawlessly, but any cheap IR repeater would work as well.
JSKMDWK likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since I was building a bar/lounge at the same time as the theater mine was built into a closet at the entry. Cables from the screen wall, riser, projector and bar tv locations are routed into the top of the closet. The racks are on drawer guides which allows them to slide out for access. I did put ventilation openings above and below the racks but, haven't needed any fans perhaps because of natural airflow and that it is in the lower level/basement of the house it stays cool enough.

For control I use a tablet with an iTach IR gateway and the iRule software which cost about $ 150 and allows the user to have custom control panels.

The iRule can be used with iPhone/iPads or Android based phones and tablets.

Wow 900 is alot of Blu-Rays! eek.gif We've got 120 on a server so your size collection is something to aspire to.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post

Outside beats inside hands on, although I'm sure it will work as well, especially if you are going for the AT screen and false wall look, of course you could put equipment behind the screen, maybe just a perfectly scaled slot under the screen for your blueray player so it will still be accessible and flush with the wall.

But as said I prefer to have equipment outside the room itself, I personally had no choice in the matter, there was either get different speakers than I wanted or move my electronics wink.gif
Since I have a very tiny room, most of my electronics is now next to my noisy work comp on the side of my right wall, using and old hole I once made highly unprofessionally for when I had even noisier computers (I hate loud fan noise, and these comps where in the 75+ DB range)

My BD player is now nicely settled under my center speaker, but the rest including a ps3 is outside the room entirely.
What he said smile.gif
Apart from HDMI CEC, that stuff has never done anything right in my book, I use a Harmony Ultimate, the hub is in the office, and I run one of the blasters into the HT area, works almost flawlessly, but any cheap IR repeater would work as well.

Yeah I agree with the noise of computers.  I built my tower and it's got huge fans so virtually silent except when the graphics cards are being tested.  Don't do much gaming these days but I don't have any immediate plans to have a computer in the theater.  I was looking at the Harmony Hub and I like what I've seen from that so I still may go that route.  I love the clean look of a theater with only the screen visible.   

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

Since I was building a bar/lounge at the same time as the theater mine was built into a closet at the entry. Cables from the screen wall, riser, projector and bar tv locations are routed into the top of the closet. The racks are on drawer guides which allows them to slide out for access. I did put ventilation openings above and below the racks but, haven't needed any fans perhaps because of natural airflow and that it is in the lower level/basement of the house it stays cool enough.

For control I use a tablet with an iTach IR gateway and the iRule software which cost about $ 150 and allows the user to have custom control panels.

Wow 900 is alot of Blu-Rays! eek.gif We've got 120 on a server so your size collection is something to aspire to.

Thanks for the pics and idea of iTach.  I've never heard of that.  I guess my main reason for hesitating putting the gear "out of reach" is I've never had any type of IR control before.  But aside from putting in the movie and pausing to answer a phone I really don't need constant control of the receiver or other equipment so it really does make sense to have it outside the room.  But the heat from equipment could be welcome in the winter months here in Michigan ha. 

Here's the custom movie rack I made to hold my collection.  It's in my office and should hold a few thousand so I would need a few terabytes to store em all :)

JSKMDWK and Cksqurd like this.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

Great job, love the look of that tablet customizable buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post

Awesome, kind of like your own video store.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 04-19-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Great job, love the look of that tablet customizable buttons.
Awesome, kind of like your own video store.

Yeah the only problem is I have WAY too many I haven't seen because I'm waiting to watch them in my dedicated theater which has yet to be built.  It's killing me that I haven't seen Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 or Fast Furious 6 and on and on ha.  But I'm excited to start this project so it'll be worth it.  I've seen many pics of theaters with equipment inside and outside and I still like both.