Where is your a/v equipment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'll be framing my dedicated room shortly and I'm gathering as much advice as I can. Just wondering where most of you have your equipment and reasons for that location. I have plenty of space and options but the one thing I know is I want a clean front wall with nothing visible but the screen.

Plans are to build a false wall/AT screen so I'm not worried about speaker placement but not sure if I want the equipment inside or outside the room. It'll be about 14x25x7 and completely sealed. I live in Michigan so I have cold winters and the basement can get cold but I don't want to have the room get overly hot. I'd prefer the equipment inside the room for convenience purposes but if the heat is an issue I would have it outside.

Anyone regret putting equipment inside or outside their room? I only have an Onkyo 818, Emotiva XPA-3, belkin power conditioner and a Blu-ray player. Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I don't want to see the LEDs from any of my components, so my stuff will go behind the rear most seating or in a closet.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm finishing up a remodel of my existing home theater and I have moved all my equipment behind the back wall in another room (accessible by a door in the back wall of the theater.) First of all I was shocked how nice it is to have zero projector noise, given that PJ noise never really bothered me before. But I agree with Aberk, I don't want want to see any lights or LEDs from my components, as pretty as they are (Marantz AV7005 processor, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray player, Carver amps, Panamax 5300PM power manager.) Just be sure you have a good RF remote solution that you like. I'm quite happy with my Logitech Harmony Smart Control because I like to control everything with my iPhone. The only reason I ever need to access my equipment is to load or remove a Blu-Ray disc, which I could eliminate with a server solution ($$$$$ sigh)!
post #4 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the main reason I would put everything outside the room would be for heat management. I'd rather not have to buy expensive RF solutions so I'm leaning towards putting everything towards the rear of the room. I have over 900 Blu-ray movies so easy access to my player is a plus.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I put my equipment in a rack just outside the theater door. I worried about not having access to at least the Blu-ray player, but it turned out to be a good decision. Having the lights, fans, heat, inside the theater would have been a major distraction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Where? Outside the room.

Reasons why? Fan noise and light distractions. I just finished building an HTPC. All of my media will be on it but realize I don't have 900 blu rays. smile.gif Additionally, as technology continues to evolve, more and more stuff works on wireless. I recently bought an Onkyo 929 and the remote app is pretty cool and I've seen some you can purchase for almost nothing that are even nicer. I'm still building my out my theater room and ran an IR repeater line that I picked up on Monoprice.com for a very reasonable price but have to wonder how much I'll use it. I have one now for my main floor set up and have been very happy with it.

Ultimately I'll likely go with the new Harmony. I've read a lot of good things about it and interfaces with smart phones and tablets. This ultimately leaves you with a very "clean" looking room.
post #7 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I installed mine just outside the theater in a wall shared by the storage room. In addition to all the reasons already stated, it is nice to stand behind the rack with good light while wiring up the equipment.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wherever I decide to put it I'll have full access to the rear which is a must for future upgrades. Thanks for the ideas and input
post #9 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Liked: 10

Under stairs for me.

Pioneer SC-65
KEF, Q5 Front, Q9 Center, Q1 rear, Q800DS
Epson 3020 Projector, 135 in 235.1 screen
OPPO 103D, Apple TV, XBOX 360
post #10 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Best location?

Just right outside you theater entrance door.........

My Build Threads

post #11 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Best location?

Just right outside you theater entrance door.........

This is almost exactly what I had in mind..

Tedd likes this.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^ That's almost exactly how mine is, but it's directly across from the theater door framed in to the wall. All the equipment for the whole house is there. One 37U reach in the wall, and a small (21U?) rack in the same area but not flushed in to the wall.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
post #13 of 40 Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
mine will be in the room next to the screen behind fabric panels on hinges. this gives me easy access but I cannot see the lights through the fabric. I do want to figure out a way to make my projector quieter not sure how to do that though

post #14 of 40 Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

I like the hinged panel idea as well. Are you concerned with the room getting too warm from having the equipment there? Not sure how you can quiet down that pj though. I'm new to the projection world.
post #15 of 40 Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If I had the space I'd do it outside the theater as well. Mine is to the left of the room behind a hinged "panel" covered with acoustic fabric. you can't see any lights but remote signals pass through just fine.
ca85c5f7bc507acfc14f596de48932c8_zps996d9c59.jpg
2f297e9215e03730a7116b71b8799b4f_zps3d472be4.jpg
roccoleach likes this.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #16 of 40 Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Very cool, thanks for sharing
post #17 of 40 Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post

I like the hinged panel idea as well. Are you concerned with the room getting too warm from having the equipment there? Not sure how you can quiet down that pj though. I'm new to the projection world.

it was not an issue in our last home but this is a lot smaller and it does get toasty in there - when i start building i will add cooling fans, have the ac on a bit more and and will crack the windows to add some air flow - i don't have any other option outside the room so i will figure it out as i start building -

post #18 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

it was not an issue in our last home but this is a lot smaller and it does get toasty in there - when i start building i will add cooling fans, have the ac on a bit more and and will crack the windows to add some air flow - i don't have any other option outside the room so i will figure it out as i start building -

I suppose it does vary by room. I still think I like a rack built in to the back side of the wall. It's naturally cool in the basement year round so I don't think I'm going to worry too much about heat. It's mostly just me watching movies as well so I won't have lots of bodies heating up the space as well.
post #19 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM

I wish we had basements in fl...it seems that helps with temp control.

post #20 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

I wish we had basements in fl...it seems that helps with temp control.

Yeah it's really nice having natural a/c but winters can get cold smile.gif Plus it'll help being underground so I can stretch the Emotiva's legs without bothering the neighbors.
post #21 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I also have my HT in the basement and it is much cooler being down there. My equipment is located in the side wall behind my first row of seating. The rack is built into the wall in an mdf cabinet with a removable back so I can access it from the utility room. I also have an external fan venting out the top.

I often look to see what audio signal is being processed so I would just go nuts if I had my equipment outside the room.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #22 of 40 Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

I also have my HT in the basement and it is much cooler being down there. My equipment is located in the side wall behind my first row of seating. The rack is built into the wall in an mdf cabinet with a removable back so I can access it from the utility room. I also have an external fan venting out the top.

I often look to see what audio signal is being processed so I would just go nuts if I had my equipment outside the room.

I'm heavily leaning towards something like this. I too like to see my receiver at times, just not on the screen wall. You said you have a vent fan, what type? I built my gaming pc and have large, quiet fans but not sure how to power them in a system like what you have. Do you hear the fan while watching a movie?
post #23 of 40 Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post

I'm heavily leaning towards something like this. I too like to see my receiver at times, just not on the screen wall. You said you have a vent fan, what type? I built my gaming pc and have large, quiet fans but not sure how to power them in a system like what you have. Do you hear the fan while watching a movie?

I just rigged up a cheap coolmaster fan and wired it into my theater signs switch. I have it blowing into an insulated flex duct. It's not very noticeable at my main seating position, a higher end fan would probably not be noticeable at all. I don't notice the fan at all when watching movies, but my projector is right above my head so I do hear that during quiet scenes.

Some guys just plug into the AVR's usb port which turns the fan on when the receiver is on, which is what I will probably do when I upgrade the fan.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #24 of 40 Old 03-21-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

I just rigged up a cheap coolmaster fan and wired it into my theater signs switch. I have it blowing into an insulated flex duct. It's not very noticeable at my main seating position, a higher end fan would probably not be noticeable at all. I don't notice the fan at all when watching movies, but my projector is right above my head so I do hear that during quiet scenes.

Some guys just plug into the AVR's usb port which turns the fan on when the receiver is on, which is what I will probably do when I upgrade the fan.

Huh, didn't know usb fans existed. I haven't spent any time researching this yet but I like the idea of venting the shelving unit I'll build. The fans in my tower are whisper quiet so it's worth looking into. Thanks for the info
post #25 of 40 Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I used this for my rack cabinet:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093145.html

It's been running a year straight with no issues. I have the naturally cool basement as well.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #26 of 40 Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I used this for my rack cabinet:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093145.html

It's been running a year straight with no issues. I have the naturally cool basement as well.

Sweet, thanks for the link. I'll be adding this for sure.
post #27 of 40 Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

If I had the space I'd do it outside the theater as well. Mine is to the left of the room behind a hinged "panel" covered with acoustic fabric. you can't see any lights but remote signals pass through just fine.
ca85c5f7bc507acfc14f596de48932c8_zps996d9c59.jpg
2f297e9215e03730a7116b71b8799b4f_zps3d472be4.jpg

I actually want to do this, but it feels so wrong because everyone has a separate room. One side is outside, the other a bathroom, and the back of the room the boss ( read wife) won't let me have because it's a kids playroom. Glad to see I'm not alone, I did add a return vent to ac system and plan on setting the fan to "run" when I'm in there.
post #28 of 40 Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Liked: 26
Also, doesn't your sub rattle the heck outta the cabinet?
post #29 of 40 Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 17
Mine are split, I have one rack at the back of the room behind the bar with the amps etc., the servers are in another rack in the basement, the only fan noise I can hear is the projector......

post #30 of 40 Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked: 19
Out of sight from the seats.... in a wall in the bar. The noisy stuff is on the other side of that wall accessible through a closet door.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page