Rawsaw's HT projects - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I'm not really sure where to post this so feel free to move it to the proper location..

Again hello to all. I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now and finally joined up. First off I'm a novice at best but have been into home theater for the past 20+ years. So hears a brief run down of how I got here and who I am... When I was a kid back in the 70's I remember my mother taking me to visit my uncle. I couldnt have been more then 9 or 10 but remember him having a Denon receiver and all sorts of audio equipment,,,, well I was hooked! I was always listening to music and dreaming of one day having equipment like he had. I started acquiring  equipment right after high school. My first reciever was a Pioneer with Fisher speakers and I couldnt tell you the models. Slowly through the years things were swapped out, always trying to get a little better sound. It started to become an addiction. Usually once or twice a year I'd be selling equipment and buying new stuff. My ex wife was never very pleased. lol....... Well, back in 2007 I got divorced and my theater dreams came to a crashing halt. Pretty much lost it all. I still had some basics but my money situation wasnt the best. I moved into a house my father owned (a duplex), with another tenant above me. It isnt a very big place with only one bedroom but I needed 2, the second for my daughter. So ended up using the living room as my bedroom and the foyer as my living room. Its been a Terrible set up for home theater/audio. A room 9 1/2' wide and 20' long. Very cramped with my couch along the long wall and tv on the other... A few months ago I decided to to gain some room by buying a new flat screen( putting it in the wall) and in wall speakers( I've never been a fan}. My little project turned out not half bad and has served me well. Then about 3 months ago the tenant moved out and I made a decision not to rent the extra apartment out anymore. I wanted to take the whole house over, move my bedrooms upstairs and FINALLY get a normal living room (not very big at 13 x 14 but better then what I had)..... So now I have an ongoing project (on a TIGHT budget) of making that room with a "theater" feel. I've used a lot of equipment that I had, some pieces like the speakers are pushing 20 years old but with some replacement drivers and new finish they're young again. I'll be posting some pics shortly of how things are coming along..  :-)

On a side note, my girlfriend of the last 2 years is a tech geek which is great for me because she's been pushing me to do some of this work. So WAF isnt an issue!!!! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'll start off with some pics of my foyer theater.. Heres what I had to deal with, a long tunnel of a room. Half of my pit sectional in storage down in the garage.

Heres the tv wall (yes some paint was added through the years) about to undergo some change

Some framing for a 60" LG plasma

Again on a budget so some BIC 8" speakers from Parts Express worked nicely.

Was a coat closet, now a little media/equipment storage area..

I had a Definitive Tech PF 1500 that served me well for years but I got the itch for some more bass. I picked up the Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12" Subwoofer Kit... Its a slammer!!!!

So I did all this work and my tenant moves. Back to the drawing board with a better room a waiting!!!! New pics come soon of the new NEW theater will be posted shortly. lol

post #3 of 3 Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

The newest project. The old bedroom/living room when I first moved in, notice the old circa 70's carpet!

Heres my old Klipsch KG5.5's.... They've seen better days. I decided to replace some of the drivers and refinish them..

I wanted them dark. This new theater/living room went through some mild change. New drop ceiling painted black with recessed puck lights. Black wall for equipment and screen and a medium blue for the rest with black trim..

Yea its a pull down 106" but that didnt bother me. Again just getting my toes wet with a fresh start on a budget.

The start of a simple build equipment rack

First of 2 coats black

Picked up some black, light blocking drapes.. You'll also see 2 sets of Klipsch surrounds that I had. One set with 4" woofers over the windows and one set with 6" woofers for the sides..

Using a Vizio 42" I had laying around just for daily tv watching. I kept the 60" in the other room(still in the wall) as now I'm going to be putting a bar/lobby in there leading into this room... PS3 and Onkyo TXSR805( great receiver even if it is old). Planning to get some Emotiva equipment when I save up some cash....

You can see my old Def Tech sub on the side there,,, its still kicking..

The Dayton sub tucked in the corner... Just bought a black couch cover for now. I plan on getting 4 leather theater seats when budget allows..

Thats it for now... I ordered a projector today. Optoma HD131xe. Hopefully it will be here by Friday. I got a good deal on it through Staples. My girlfriend is a supervisor there and got 25% off for me so only paid a little over $600 for it....... I'll keep you all posted on the progress...

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page