Some quick layout suggestions on my room...finalizing house plans - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are building a new house and I am finally getting a dedicated theater. Yay! I have been using a den as my theater for the last few years and I'm stoked to be getting a new house and new theater.
I have attached a proposed layout for the upstairs where the theater will be and need some advice on the size and location of the front wall. I'm pretty green with design, only know what I've been reading on AVS and some magazines over the last few years. I know I need to buy the guide book available here but quick decisions on at least the room size and orientation need to be made as the house plans have gone from looking most every weekend to signing the dotted line and mashing on the gas in just a couple of weeks.
i can move the wall/stairwell over one foot and probably shorten the distance from the stairwell to the entrance by another foot to come up with around 20' x 15'-4" with the stage being on the wall opposite the door or leave it as is and make the 17'-11" wall furthest from the door as the stage wall. I"m looking at around a 100" or so screen, maybe AT, and probably scope. I would like two rows of seating with maybe 3 on one row and 4 on the other. All other design options are open.
My budget, including some design help, is 10k max. I have a Planar 8150 and all the other electronics and speakers I need with the exception of light control. This will be a mostly DIY project. I will have to balance the amount of time spent with money available, though, as my time is limited and I don't want this to turn into a two year project.wink.gif
As always, the help of the pros and the hard core HT gurus is appreciated!

Duke3-24-14.pdf 173k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duke3-24-14.pdf (173.2 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 793
I'd go for the longest room possible, a two row theater requires 18 to 18 1/2 ft screen to the back of the second row, I have the 8150, you should think about picking up the new Panamorph budget lens and go for a 2.35:1 AT screen. 120-130 wide.

Looking at the plan what are the ceiling heights? Level or pitched.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The room has a flat ceiling and is 8" high. I'm trying to get a little more height, even 6", but my builder is saying at this point he would have to narrow the room to go up in height to keep the ceiling flat or make the ceiling slopped which I don't want.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukester View Post

Thanks for the reply. The room has a flat ceiling and is 8" high. I'm trying to get a little more height, even 6", but my builder is saying at this point he would have to narrow the room to go up in height to keep the ceiling flat or make the ceiling slopped which I don't want.
Sloped is ok if it is from 8' up to whatever. My ceiling is sloped from 6'-9 in the rear on riser and from 7' to 10 in front. I just enclosed most of it in my soffits. With 8'to start I would think it could all be in the soffits. Ask him if you can go up in height if you do tray ceilings. Are you having the builder finish the room or you doing yourself and sound proofing the room?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

A tray ceiling is an option, depending on the cost. Didn't think about that. This will be a DYI job for the most part. The builder has less of an idea on how to build a theater than I do tongue.gif Sound proofing is not as much of a concern as sound treating. I know that they go somewhat hand in hand but keeping sound from getting out of the room is not as big of a deal as my wife and I live alone and if I have guests over we most likely won't be watching a movie unless they are with us. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 146
They do go hand in hand you do not want to be constantly adjusting the volume when a loud car or lawn mower or even the HVAC kicks in. Sound proofing to me is to lower the sound field in the room that is why I did my window plug. I sold it to my wife as sound getting out of the room LOL I used to always turn it up when scenes were quiet and down when scenes are toooo loud now I never touch the volume.

What I was asking are you taking delivery of the house with this room as unfinished. That is what we did however my builder let me build my room once we were under roof and even supplied all the materiel less sound proofing material and screws etc. He of course rolled that into the cost.

I would defiantly push the door wall out to the same wall as the stairs coming up this would add 1 1/2' taking from storage room