Need help designing new space in basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, i have a blank space to work with and I'm a little overwhelmed. We have just started a basement finishing project and one of the rooms will be the new media room for the house. As you can see from the floor plan it's a fairly big space (roughly 19 x 20). I'm currently thinking just a wall mounted 70" LED right now on the right wall with seating area somewhere on the left side of the room. But I'm struggling with speakers. Ideally, I'd like to do a 7.1 setup. I was looking at Polk RS85i in-wall speakers for rear surround and front speakers as well as a Polk 255c-LS as my center channel. My challenge is that the wall to the stairway is very far from the seating area, so I'm wondering what to do about left and right surround. Would it be Ok to use something like the Polk TC80i in-ceiling for these?

Also, I'm trying to decide where to have the equipment rack placed. I was actually considering putting it in the closet that would be created under the staircase as I'm also going to have all my new Cat6 runs tied in there as well. Of course this would mean that all of the equipment would have to be RF since it would be behind a wall.

I'm open to all suggestions here....what would you do if you had THIS blank canvas to work with? Of course, budget is always a concern since the cost of the basement finishing is large chunk of change in and of itself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
IMHO... 70" would be small with couches 19' away. Just go projection right away if it will be a movie space. In ceiling surrounds would work if the layout of the walls doesn't allow for a correct setup. You would have the space for two rows of seating.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I second the vote a projector.

As for putting equipment in the closet. You can get IR repeaters that might be easier/cheaper than getting RF gear. There are plenty of options once you identify your needs and wants a bit more. Be careful about ventilation if you put a lot of gear in an enclosed space.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

How are the selections of the Polk speakers in terms of bang for the buck?

I was looking at:

(4) Polk RC85i In-Wall (Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right) = $340.00
(2) Polk RC80i In-Ceiling (Side Left, Side Right) = $140.00
(1) Polk PSW505 Subwoofer = $200.00
(1) Polk 255c-LS Center Channel = $279.00

Total is $959.00 which I think is pretty good for a 7.1 setup of this quality, but are these properly timbre-matched? I also assume since none of my runs should be more than about 20' that I would just buy 200' of 14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable to make 8 individual runs to the receiver. Is that correct? The contractor is willing to mount the speakers and run the cable as long as I provide the materials.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilbrent View Post

IMHO... 70" would be small with couches 19' away. Just go projection right away if it will be a movie space. In ceiling surrounds would work if the layout of the walls doesn't allow for a correct setup. You would have the space for two rows of seating.

I could definitely go projector and screen. Any recommendations on decent but not necessarily top of the line models?
Like would a BenQ W1070 (10,000:1 contrast) or an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2030 (15,000:1 contrast) be good choices in this space? They are both in the $900 ballpark with 5-6k lamp life (which will be important). I don't know that I can spend the money for a 50,000:1 contrast projector.

How would the Elite 28 Inch 16:10 Spectrum Electric screen be in this space? It would be nice to be able to retract it and it doesn't appear to be much more than the manual screen.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Budget?
What type of content do you watch?
Do you have control over lighting in the room?
Are you sensitive to DLP RBE?
questions, questions, questions. Start posting how you envision the room... what you want to spend... it will start to come together.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Primarily will be watching movie and sports in this room. Also I suspect the kids will be using the Xbox in here as well.
There are only two small casement windows and a couple of french doors to the outside, which we will have blinds on.
I have had DLPs TVs for a long time and have never had an issue with rainbow effect.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWolff View Post

I also assume since none of my runs should be more than about 20' that I would just buy 200' of 14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable to make 8 individual runs to the receiver. Is that correct? The contractor is willing to mount the speakers and run the cable as long as I provide the materials.

You need 7 runs of speaker wire plus 1 RCA for the Sub. It doesn't hurt to run RCA to a few locations to have options for sub locations. You need to tell the contractor exactly where the speakers go. They can have some weird layouts since they usually know nothing about surround sound. A good option are those metal rings for roughing in the ceiling location before drywall goes up.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

So, the room I'm working is 19 x 15. I've decided on the Optoma HD131xe projector and an Elite Screens 128 Inch 16:10 Spectrum Electric Projector Screen (from Amazon.com). I will have 8' ceilings when the room is constructed and I'm trying to determine three things:
  1. At what height from the ceiling does the projector need to be mounted?
  2. How far back from the screen should I mount the projector?
  3. Should I mount the screen in the ceiling or on the wall?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Go on Optima website and select that model, down towards bottom of page will be a distance caculator. If you are putting in two rows of seats, most likely the screen will end up close to the ceiling. The projector will probably have about 6" drop arm.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

This is what I got from the projection calculator. Does it look right? It shows that for the Elite 128-inch diagonal screen (which is a 16:10), I should mount the projector at 18' 2" from the screen (which would basically put it pretty close to the wall opposite the screen in my 19' long room) and that the lens needs to be 11" from the top of the screen. I was planning to mount the screen in the ceiling. Will I have 11" of clearance or does this mean I need to hang the screen on the wall instead?

I looked in the PDF manual of the Optoma HD131Xe but it only shows the installation metrics for a 16:9 screen and it only has 120" and 150" as options.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 530
you can mount it anywhere between 15-1 and 18-2 the limits in the throw range box. I always allow a little margin for error so 15-3 and 18. That is screen to the lens of the projector, not the down pole from the ceiling.

If the projector has a fixed vertical offset per your description the manual says it needs to be mounted 11 inches above the top edge of the screen image. Other projectors have more flexibility using optical lens shift. If you hang your projector too low you will have to aim it up by tilting the projector and as a result the top of the image will be a little wider than the bottom.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page