Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The reality here is that you're going to spend a tremendous amount of money and waste a tremendous amount of time on half-measures, and at the end of it they'll make no difference at all.

From the way you've described it, you're in an impossible situation. Even if you treat the floor, sound will flank all around it through the walls and ceiling. You'd need to build a fully isolated room-within-a-room, and it sounds like you just don't have the space for that.

I feel for you. I've dealt with horrible neighbors. The crazy old bat at my last apartment tried to poison me with exhaust fumes by leaving her car running all night every night with her tail pipe aimed directly into my living room window.

Move. Seriously. It may not seem like an option, but find a way to make it work. Some people just can't be dealt with.

Jeez. Wish I'd not read this. Really got me down. Hope was the only thing I had left. A move will take forever and take me away from kids again. Taken me 7 years to get a swap to this village! Yesterday she was calling me rotten from the room below because I was scraping wallpaper off ffs! I ask you the cheek of the bitch!
Must be a way to at least reduce this noise (budget) just in the bedroom at night? I gotta try, the principle etc.
I get what you're saying though, just can't deal with the reality of it. I hate this woman. Truly I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 04-04-2014, 05:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
turn the bedroom into a sound proof cocoon, use the methods we have described but you may have to do the floors, walls and ceiling. Approach it as if you were building a sound recording studio in the bedroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 69 Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael9877 View Post

Jeez. Wish I'd not read this. Really got me down. Hope was the only thing I had left. A move will take forever and take me away from kids again. Taken me 7 years to get a swap to this village! Yesterday she was calling me rotten from the room below because I was scraping wallpaper off ffs! I ask you the cheek of the bitch!
Must be a way to at least reduce this noise (budget) just in the bedroom at night? I gotta try, the principle etc.
I get what you're saying though, just can't deal with the reality of it. I hate this woman. Truly I do.

Didn't mean to depress you. Just trying to temper your expectations for what you can realistically accomplish in this scenario. Perhaps you can make a small improvement that will allow you to sleep through the night?

Good luck.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #64 of 69 Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 AM

In addition to the tricks mentioned by other users in this thread, also consider "white noise". I use an android app "Lightning Bug" to generate white noise for me and it works very well to mask surrounding noises.

post #65 of 69 Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

turn the bedroom into a sound proof cocoon, use the methods we have described but you may have to do the floors, walls and ceiling. Approach it as if you were building a sound recording studio in the bedroom.

I hear ya dc. But what cost? I can't add decoupling methods apparently due to triple leaf, and what do I attach the resilient bars to anywAy? Leaves me with mass and dampening I assume. I'd do it all no sweat if it was gonna work.
So many different noises from the old evil bag, low, medium n high frequency. So talk me through this guy's, let's do it now!
post #66 of 69 Old 04-04-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Probably a stupid question, but have you tried ear plugs?

Under construction:
post #67 of 69 Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Didn't mean to depress you. Just trying to temper your expectations for what you can realistically accomplish in this scenario. Perhaps you can make a small improvement that will allow you to sleep through the night?

Good luck.

Yea that would be fine if I could sleep well and have kids over safely. She's a sick menace.
post #68 of 69 Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried ear plugs?

Yea they're really not comfy or adequate. Can't expect kids to force them in either.
post #69 of 69 Old 04-08-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

???
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page