Cinema-Nati Theater Build - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 102 Old 05-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up

I have been following your build and you are making great progress. Based on your renderings and the progress you have made so far looks like it will be awesome! Keep the updates coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 67
A tiny bit more progress... all the 1st stage of frames are now complete, other than the bottom row. I am going to install those post carpet, so, waiting to get final measurements.

By '1st stage', I simply mean the 3/4" Plywood frames have been all cut to size & put together. I haven't put much of the shoe mold on yet. I am now torn about whether I should use my miter saw/chop saw in the theater room, I am a bit concerned the dust created will get all over the ceiling.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Frames.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	702906  
J_P_A likes this.
post #93 of 102 Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I would do all possible cutting outside of the theater.

Bill
post #94 of 102 Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
I would do all possible cutting outside of the theater.

Bill
Yeah, I cut all the wood on my patio, now that my ceiling is painted, I don't want the dust all over.

Wondering if I could cut in my avs closet and be okay?
post #95 of 102 Old 05-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Maybe put up a sheet of plastic between the two spaces to minimize the dust.

Bill
post #96 of 102 Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I took my sconce lights which now won't fit in my plans, and that I bought in March 2014, back to Costco today.. I had my receipt, so, they gave me a full refund! Talk about great customer service!
doublewing11 likes this.
post #97 of 102 Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Don't envy anyone building fabric frames........looks like a lot it work!

BTW, gotta love Costco......
post #98 of 102 Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

My Granite Bar was installed yesterday, final dimensions are 153" wide x 18" Deep. It is a Steel Gray/ Silver Pearl color... so, Gray and Black. The top part of my walls will be a Charcoal Gray color, and the bottom part will be black.

In the upper left hand part of the picture, you can see the insulation for my walls & screen wall. You can see my frames, now temporarily installed on the wall as a 'dry fit'... which was good, 3 of them were made to the wrong size.

I have also installed an Insteon Dimmer, and all my Ceiling LED Lights. These are the HALO SLD4 lights, so, they fit in a normal circular junction box (or square for that matter).

The first picture is of the lights with the 'full bright' selection.

This second photo is of 'As Dim as it gets', with the Insteon dimmer. If I used a Cooper Electric/Eaton Electric Dimmer (maker of the Halo brand of lights), these in theory can get to 6%.

I don't know what % dim these currently get to, but certainly doesn't seem very dim to me. I'll have LED Strip Lights on the columns, so, that may help some.

I purchased a Lutron Maestro dimmer yesterday, and want to get a Lutron Caseta dimmer to see if either of those dim more. The problem with the Cooper/Eaton switches, is I don't think you can program the four different switches to various Scenes. I know I can do that with the Insteon, and think I can with Caseta, not sure about the Maestro either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Granite Bar Top.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	716842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights Installed - Bright.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	716850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights Installed- Dim.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	716858  
post #99 of 102 Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I started putting up some of the Sound Absorption Insulation last night. I am using Knauf Ecose Sonic XP... I couldn't find Linacoustic around, and my understanding (Hope) is this will work effectively the same.

On the side-walls, I am putting it at about the ear height of the 2nd row. I am waiting to do the frames and insulation for the bottom of the wall until carpet is in.

The first 3+ feet of side-walls, and the entire rear wall will be treated floor to ceiling.

These are the screws I used to attach it to the wall. Well for the first layer, I am using a shorter version of this, but you get the idea.

I am planning on some poly-batten type material above this level. I am choosing to attach this directly to the wall vs friction fit in my frames for two reasons:
1) I thought it might be faster... less precision needed
2) I am planning to hang my frames with Velcro, so, though less weight could only help

I also switched out my Insteon switches for a Lutron Caseta and a Lutron Maestro, neither of which dimmed any more than the Insteon did. I had considered a Grafik Eye, but given the Lutron's are not meeting the objective, not sure I want to hassle testing it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Side Wall-Absorption.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	718722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wall- Absorption.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	718730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation Screws.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	718738  
post #100 of 102 Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

I got the quarter round put on all the frames that are ready (all but bottom row, which I am waiting for carpet to measure & make those). Hoping to maybe start wrapping fabric on the frames this week, but don't have any real good blocks of time to do it - so, will be a slow go. My sons birthday party is this weekend at our house, so, have a few 'house prep' things that will take priority.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frames with Quarter Round.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	723426  
post #101 of 102 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have had my theater chairs for awhile and had only taken one out to look at it. I took the rest of them out today, needed to get rid of the boxes - we have my son's 6th birthday party on Saturday and we may need the space in the basement.

Here is a picture of the 1st row, love-seat in center and wedge/curved end pieces.

I have two options to configure the 2nd row, I am not sure which I'll go with...

The first option is two love seats & a single center seat...

The second option would be a 'couch' in the middle with two individual end seats.

I think I prefer the first option with the two love seats as then all seats have access to at least one arm rest... but, not sure if I'll get to choose or my wife will.

I also didn't see off-hand exactly how to latch the seats together, if in fact they do. In the past when I have had individual component pieces, they latch together one way or another, but I didn't see it - or frankly, look that much given for now they aren't where they go! If anyone knows how to latch them together, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Row Chairs.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	725746   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Row - Couch.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	725754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd row - 2 Love seats.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	725762  
post #102 of 102 Old Today, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

My walls will all be the same depth of Fabric Frames. The bottom portion will be black fabric wrapped frames. The top sections will have a "Fabric Movie Poster" between each of the columns, and then Charcoal Gray fabric on the sides & above the posters.

I did my first movie poster frame last night, here it is:

I wasn't really at the stage to put these together yet, as I still have some other things I really need to do first, but I had these posters for a few weeks now and since I put all the frames together, I wanted to see one completed.

Here is a link to the thread that talks all about custom printed fabric posters (whether Movie, an art design, family photos... basically anything you want):

DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jaws.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	726802  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction