Cinema-Nati Theater Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #91 of 115 Old 05-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up

I have been following your build and you are making great progress. Based on your renderings and the progress you have made so far looks like it will be awesome! Keep the updates coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 89
A tiny bit more progress... all the 1st stage of frames are now complete, other than the bottom row. I am going to install those post carpet, so, waiting to get final measurements.

By '1st stage', I simply mean the 3/4" Plywood frames have been all cut to size & put together. I haven't put much of the shoe mold on yet. I am now torn about whether I should use my miter saw/chop saw in the theater room, I am a bit concerned the dust created will get all over the ceiling.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Frames.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	702906  
J_P_A likes this.
post #93 of 115 Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would do all possible cutting outside of the theater.

Bill
post #94 of 115 Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
I would do all possible cutting outside of the theater.

Bill
Yeah, I cut all the wood on my patio, now that my ceiling is painted, I don't want the dust all over.

Wondering if I could cut in my avs closet and be okay?
post #95 of 115 Old 05-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Maybe put up a sheet of plastic between the two spaces to minimize the dust.

Bill
post #96 of 115 Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I took my sconce lights which now won't fit in my plans, and that I bought in March 2014, back to Costco today.. I had my receipt, so, they gave me a full refund! Talk about great customer service!
doublewing11 likes this.
post #97 of 115 Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Don't envy anyone building fabric frames........looks like a lot it work!

BTW, gotta love Costco......
post #98 of 115 Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My Granite Bar was installed yesterday, final dimensions are 153" wide x 18" Deep. It is a Steel Gray/ Silver Pearl color... so, Gray and Black. The top part of my walls will be a Charcoal Gray color, and the bottom part will be black.

In the upper left hand part of the picture, you can see the insulation for my walls & screen wall. You can see my frames, now temporarily installed on the wall as a 'dry fit'... which was good, 3 of them were made to the wrong size.

I have also installed an Insteon Dimmer, and all my Ceiling LED Lights. These are the HALO SLD4 lights, so, they fit in a normal circular junction box (or square for that matter).

The first picture is of the lights with the 'full bright' selection.

This second photo is of 'As Dim as it gets', with the Insteon dimmer. If I used a Cooper Electric/Eaton Electric Dimmer (maker of the Halo brand of lights), these in theory can get to 6%.

I don't know what % dim these currently get to, but certainly doesn't seem very dim to me. I'll have LED Strip Lights on the columns, so, that may help some.

I purchased a Lutron Maestro dimmer yesterday, and want to get a Lutron Caseta dimmer to see if either of those dim more. The problem with the Cooper/Eaton switches, is I don't think you can program the four different switches to various Scenes. I know I can do that with the Insteon, and think I can with Caseta, not sure about the Maestro either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Granite Bar Top.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	716842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights Installed - Bright.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	716850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights Installed- Dim.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	716858  
post #99 of 115 Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I started putting up some of the Sound Absorption Insulation last night. I am using Knauf Ecose Sonic XP... I couldn't find Linacoustic around, and my understanding (Hope) is this will work effectively the same.

On the side-walls, I am putting it at about the ear height of the 2nd row. I am waiting to do the frames and insulation for the bottom of the wall until carpet is in.

The first 3+ feet of side-walls, and the entire rear wall will be treated floor to ceiling.

These are the screws I used to attach it to the wall. Well for the first layer, I am using a shorter version of this, but you get the idea.

I am planning on some poly-batten type material above this level. I am choosing to attach this directly to the wall vs friction fit in my frames for two reasons:
1) I thought it might be faster... less precision needed
2) I am planning to hang my frames with Velcro, so, though less weight could only help

I also switched out my Insteon switches for a Lutron Caseta and a Lutron Maestro, neither of which dimmed any more than the Insteon did. I had considered a Grafik Eye, but given the Lutron's are not meeting the objective, not sure I want to hassle testing it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Side Wall-Absorption.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	718722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wall- Absorption.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	718730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation Screws.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	718738  
post #100 of 115 Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the quarter round put on all the frames that are ready (all but bottom row, which I am waiting for carpet to measure & make those). Hoping to maybe start wrapping fabric on the frames this week, but don't have any real good blocks of time to do it - so, will be a slow go. My sons birthday party is this weekend at our house, so, have a few 'house prep' things that will take priority.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frames with Quarter Round.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	723426  
post #101 of 115 Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have had my theater chairs for awhile and had only taken one out to look at it. I took the rest of them out today, needed to get rid of the boxes - we have my son's 6th birthday party on Saturday and we may need the space in the basement.

Here is a picture of the 1st row, love-seat in center and wedge/curved end pieces.

I have two options to configure the 2nd row, I am not sure which I'll go with...

The first option is two love seats & a single center seat...

The second option would be a 'couch' in the middle with two individual end seats.

I think I prefer the first option with the two love seats as then all seats have access to at least one arm rest... but, not sure if I'll get to choose or my wife will.

I also didn't see off-hand exactly how to latch the seats together, if in fact they do. In the past when I have had individual component pieces, they latch together one way or another, but I didn't see it - or frankly, look that much given for now they aren't where they go! If anyone knows how to latch them together, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Row Chairs.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	725746   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Row - Couch.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	725754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd row - 2 Love seats.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	725762  
post #102 of 115 Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My walls will all be the same depth of Fabric Frames. The bottom portion will be black fabric wrapped frames. The top sections will have a "Fabric Movie Poster" between each of the columns, and then Charcoal Gray fabric on the sides & above the posters.

I did my first movie poster frame last night, here it is:

I wasn't really at the stage to put these together yet, as I still have some other things I really need to do first, but I had these posters for a few weeks now and since I put all the frames together, I wanted to see one completed.

Here is a link to the thread that talks all about custom printed fabric posters (whether Movie, an art design, family photos... basically anything you want):

DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jaws.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	726802  
post #103 of 115 Old 05-29-2015, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wrapped a few of my fabric panels last night.

Here are a few photos of one wall section... these are the colors for the fabric walls. The top sections are Charcoal, and the bottom will be black.

Here is looking from an angle:

And looking from straight on:

I also wrapped a few more of my Fabric Movie Poster Panels:

Star Wars "Saga" Poster...

And "A Christmas Story" Poster...

I also ordered my Carpet a couple days ago, so, that should be installed in mid-June.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panel Straight On.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	743297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panels from Angle.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	743305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Wars.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	743313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Story.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	743321  
post #104 of 115 Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Thumbs up Love the Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I have had my theater chairs for awhile and had only taken one out to look at it. I took the rest of them out today, needed to get rid of the boxes - we have my son's 6th birthday party on Saturday and we may need the space in the basement.

Here is a picture of the 1st row, love-seat in center and wedge/curved end pieces.

I have two options to configure the 2nd row, I am not sure which I'll go with...

The first option is two love seats & a single center seat...

The second option would be a 'couch' in the middle with two individual end seats.

I think I prefer the first option with the two love seats as then all seats have access to at least one arm rest... but, not sure if I'll get to choose or my wife will.

I also didn't see off-hand exactly how to latch the seats together, if in fact they do. In the past when I have had individual component pieces, they latch together one way or another, but I didn't see it - or frankly, look that much given for now they aren't where they go! If anyone knows how to latch them together, let me know.
I vote for the first option. It's very "couples" friendly. Since I've been married, I notice that we hang out with couples a lot more. I'm sure this is the case across the board, so it's nice to have the opportunity for some couple-snuggle. That center chair would be for the chaperone to make sure no funny business is going on. Don't want to stain those nice chairs, after all.
post #105 of 115 Old 06-01-2015, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I completed the Fabric Poster Frames... and the majority of my top tow rows of Charcoal Gray Fabric frames as well.

Our thinking on the Fabric Poster 'choices' is that we didn't want to pick all current movies and 'date' the theater room a specific time, so, we picked a fair bit of older, more classic movies. This hopefully will just make the room look like a "Movie Room", not a "2014/15 Movie Room".

We let my son and daughter each pick one, regardless of time period... My daughter chose Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

And my son chose Rise of the Guardians...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ET.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	749625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Indiana Jones.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	749633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanic.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	749641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charlie and Choc.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	749649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rise of Guardians.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	749657  

post #106 of 115 Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have now wrapped and hung all my fabric panels, other than the bottom row, which I am waiting until the carpet is installed to measure & make.

Here is a photo of one side of the room:

Here is the rear corner of the other side of the room:

And here is the front sections of the other side of the room (phone photo quality on this one is terrible).:

We go on vacation next week, so, not planning on much more progress anytime soon. Carpet is tentatively scheduled for June 17th, but we'll see. It hasn't arrived yet, but I scheduled it in case it does arrive (supposed to be in on June 10).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Left Side Panels-Movie Posters.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	756809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Panels-Posters.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	756817   Click image for larger version

Name:	front right panels-pictures.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	756825  
kevin g. and luisev like this.

Last edited by kmhvball; 06-05-2015 at 05:08 AM. Reason: fixed wrong photo
post #107 of 115 Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have made some pretty good progress, and had a week long Cruise since my last post.

I combined my Screen Wall Fabric Frames along with the actual Screen Frame into a single structure. Here are the pieces of the "Screen Wall" I put together. I essentially made 4 rectangles, attached them all together with Kreg Pocket Screws, and then put the Screen Material on the back side of it.

My 'right' side as you face the screen, actually is a single vertical stud, with smaller door hinges on the edge, and another rectangular frame attached to it - so I can access the electric panel.

You can see the carpet pretty well in the above pictures, but this shows in in relation to the wall color a bit more.

Here is a picture of the Screen Wall. This is a 11' wide (~ 143" Diag.) 2.35:1 screen. I bought a Falcon Screens "DIY" set up, i.e., they provided the screen as well as the grommets & o-rings. I just attached it to my screen wall. This was a very affordable way to go, and I had a few questions for Rich/ Falcon Screens and he was incredibly responsive, even well after I had purchased the screen (I bought it in February, and asked a question yesterday morning). My room is about 17 1/2 feet wide, so, a fair bit of space on the sides. I used Royalty 3 Velvet from JoAnn Fabric, and it seems incredibly dark to me - but to be transparent, I haven't seen others to compare it to.

This shows my Theater chairs pretty well, 4 in front, 5 in back, and I'll have 5 bar stools as well.

Here are side views of the room with the Column frames completed. I used velcro to attach the frames(actually Dual Lock), so they are removable.

I hung the projector, so hopefully that doesn't stop me where I am at!! I still need to complete my bottom row of Fabric Panels now that the carpet is in. I am also still waiting for the UXL-18s I ordered via the Group Buy to come in... although, my sub boxes aren't yet completed - so, 'waiting' is a bit of a loose term.

My 'equipment room' is at a bare minimum right now, enough to play a movie & music, and that is about it. I hope to do figure out how to build a NAS and a HTPC at some point, but figure I'll get to that after I finished my fabric panels & sub boxes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Wall Frame - left side.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	793682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Wall Frame - Right Side.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	793690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	793698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen PIcture.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	793706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairs.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	793714  

Name:	Chairs Left Wall.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	793722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Wall Chairs.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	793730  
post #108 of 115 Old 06-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I really like how you included the art panels with your other panels. Looking really great.

Joe V
Time > Money

V-T Theater 2.0
V-T Theater 1.0
post #109 of 115 Old 06-24-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post
I really like how you included the art panels with your other panels. Looking really great.
Thanks!

I see you are doing/did an ICF house? My last home, I did the general contracting on, and I did ICF as well. My wife wouldn't let me build/GC this house, or would have likely done it again. Any idea when you'll be done?
post #110 of 115 Old 06-24-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We are shooting for Oct 1st to have the house complete. I doubt the theater will be ready on day one but I'll keep pushing forward. The GC/Build process has been tedious at times but rewarding. Looking forward to getting in and enjoying the new home!

Joe V
Time > Money

V-T Theater 2.0
V-T Theater 1.0
post #111 of 115 Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got my bottom row panels made, wrapped, and installed!

Here is the left side of the theater room..

Here is the right side, with the Jaws photo also hung on the equipment room door..

The rear wall view...

Here is the rear bar & chairs... the chairs are adjustable height.

This illustrates how tight the space is to fit my three rows into the theater... when that rear door is open, the chair has to be pushed all the way up to allow the door to open. My thought is if these are being used, it is likely some sort of 'event'', where the door may well just be left open.

Now, onto installing the LED lights on the columns, working on the DIY Subs, and adjusting my projector settings...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Left Side Wall - w bottom panels.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	806242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side w Bottom Panels.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	806250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Wall Panels.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	806258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Bar & Chairs.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	806266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Bar w Door Open.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	806274  

post #112 of 115 Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Nice work integrating the posters into the acoustic treatment. Looks great!

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
post #113 of 115 Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Very nice progress. Room looks great.!!!
post #114 of 115 Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Really well done. I like the design of the riser and the pole blends into the room so seamlessly, you hardly notice it. Well done.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #115 of 115 Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Nice work integrating the posters into the acoustic treatment. Looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Very nice progress. Room looks great.!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Really well done. I like the design of the riser and the pole blends into the room so seamlessly, you hardly notice it. Well done.
Thanks for the nice comments, looking forward to watching a few of the movies I like, vs primarily kids movies so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page