Hall-o-Cinema Theater Construction/Design Questions - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Here are a few photo's of the room with Drywall up...

A front view... the 'green tape' screen, is a 130" Wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I am pretty sure I am going to go a little bigger, but haven't decided exactly what yet. The Max Size I could go, is 140" wide and still maintain ~ 30" from floor to bottom of screen with out hitting the upper right soffit. That would also get me very closet to the electric panels.

All the lumber is for the eventual Riser.

Here is a picture looking towards the back... the room on the Left is the AV Closet, and the door on the rear wall/to the right, is the entry door. This is a 'double stud' wall, so, one door will open into theater and the other door will open 'out' into the rest of the basement.

And this is the AV Closet... it is ~ 44" wide, and almost 11' long (although, with 3' of door, in theory closer to 8' of wall space)... I am still debating using Wire Shelving as my shelving, but haven't decided for sure yet.

I am a bit side-tracked on trying to finish making a Pirate Bed for my son, and then, I'll work on the riser... which, will then allow me to do flooring in the rest of my basement... I am hoping to finish the Pirate Bed this weekend, but my optimism usually exceeds my time & capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frnt w Dwall.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	342521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back w Dwall.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	342529   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV Closet Pntd.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	342537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 11-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
jealous of your room width.
post #63 of 71 Old 11-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I followed an other thread of yours that didn't get any response: "Klipsch KL/KS 7800 vs Definitive Technologies UIW RLS/RSS II In Wall for Home Theater"
Did you decide definitively on the Klipsch route? Any particular reason?

I'm planning a new theater with in-walls all around and these are two of my forerunners.

Joe V
Time > Money

The Valley Theater & Game Room
post #64 of 71 Old 11-12-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyv View Post
I followed an other thread of yours that didn't get any response: "Klipsch KL/KS 7800 vs Definitive Technologies UIW RLS/RSS II In Wall for Home Theater"
Did you decide definitively on the Klipsch route? Any particular reason?

I'm planning a new theater with in-walls all around and these are two of my forerunners.
I ended up going with the Klipsch route... I just literally ordered them 2 days ago, so, don't yet have them.

I was swayed by the "THX Certified", which many will say isn't all that big of a deal . I don't know that it is - but I largely couldn't decide, so, just chose that as the difference for me. But, really, there wasn't a huge reason I chose them.

I definitely wanted a built in enclosure, which both of these have... I think I looked at Atlantic Technologies, and their rear/surround one's didn't.

Not sure when I'll get them, and I am far from an audiophile... so, not sure how good of feedback I can provide. When I get a chance to listen to them, I might be able to say 'they sound great'... but I might have said that for 90% of the speakers out there, so, not sure you'll get a good educated/critical review from me.

Last edited by kmhvball; 11-12-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: ..
post #65 of 71 Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am pretty far from an audiophile my self... What I want from my HT audio system is clear dialog, good surround positioning and some LFE punch. Subed to follow along... I'll start a new build thread of my own once we get a roof on the new house and I can get inside and concentrate on the fun stuff.

Joe V
Time > Money

The Valley Theater & Game Room
post #66 of 71 Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
And this is the AV Closet... it is ~ 44" wide, and almost 11' long (although, with 3' of door, in theory closer to 8' of wall space)... I am still debating using Wire Shelving as my shelving, but haven't decided for sure yet.
Depending on where you plan on putting your equipment you could also use the adjustable closet type shelving track and then make some nice wood or MDF shelves to put on the mounting brackets. Then you'd be able to readjust the shelf height to accommodate different pieces of equipment. I'm going to use this method for mounting my surrounds within my columns. This way I can adjust the speaker height later if need be.
post #67 of 71 Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panino View Post
Depending on where you plan on putting your equipment you could also use the adjustable closet type shelving track and then make some nice wood or MDF shelves to put on the mounting brackets. Then you'd be able to readjust the shelf height to accommodate different pieces of equipment. I'm going to use this method for mounting my surrounds within my columns. This way I can adjust the speaker height later if need be.
If I do the wire shelves, I would do the 'adjustable' brackets like your speakers. I thought about wood/mdf, but wasn't sure the support brackets would work with those... it seem like the 'horizontal' support brackets are fairly specifically designed for the wire shelves. I think I want ~ 20" deep shelves, so, maybe there are some supports out there for wood/mdf - I haven't looked all that much yet.
post #68 of 71 Old 12-05-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I still think the screen should be slightly smaller and avoid going below the soffit.
Just the though of having reflections would drive me crazy. lol

Great to see the room come alive, tho. Looking good.
post #69 of 71 Old 12-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
If I do the wire shelves, I would do the 'adjustable' brackets like your speakers. I thought about wood/mdf, but wasn't sure the support brackets would work with those... it seem like the 'horizontal' support brackets are fairly specifically designed for the wire shelves. I think I want ~ 20" deep shelves, so, maybe there are some supports out there for wood/mdf - I haven't looked all that much yet.
You can buy shelf brackets I think up to 18" long. They have predrilled screw holes to anchor to a shelf from the bottom. The brackets will then latch into the wall mount tracks.
post #70 of 71 Old 12-06-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panino View Post
You can buy shelf brackets I think up to 18" long. They have predrilled screw holes to anchor to a shelf from the bottom. The brackets will then latch into the wall mount tracks.
Good info! I just looked around a bit, and found some that are 19". I was a bit worried about using wire shelves, so the option to use wood will be great...thanks!
post #71 of 71 Old Today, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I have now received a bunch of my AV Equipment... if only I was making progress on the room:

I purchased a Denon AVR-4520 and my projector, a JVC DLA-RS-4910 (and Chief mount, ceiling plate down-rod).

I also got my speakers... 5 Klipsch in-wall KL-7800-THX and 4 Klipsh KS-7800-THX speakers.
- the KL line is for the front LCR & 2 Rear Speakers
- the KS's are the surrounds, definitely will do one row of surrounds, and then not sure if I'll do another row of surrounds or if I'll use the other pair for "Width" speakers.

My speakers will be mounted inside my columns, inside the overall room envelope to help minimize sound escaping.

The Denon can process 9 speakers, I haven't done any reading yet on how to set up two sets of side surrounds, so I am hoping it can be done with out another amplifier.

I have the MDF to build two 'full marty' DIY sub's, but haven't even started cutting... or ordered the 18" drivers. I was considering UXL-18s, but haven't been able to get a reply from the company, so may save a little and go with Dayton Ultimax 18s. I am a bit concerned the in-walls won't have much mid-bass, and I think the UXLs are better at the higher bass frequencies, although frankly, my knowledge on all that is somewhat limited.

I have visions of grandeur in terms of making progress in my basement, and hopefully theater, over the Christmas break... although, my guess is my wife will likely squash those plans. I hope to put down ~ 1,200 square feet of engineered hardwood and 120+ square feet of tile in the 'rest' of the basement before I really do much more work in the theater. I might build the Riser, in large part because I need to build the portion of the riser 'outside' the theater before doing the rest of that work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equipment.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	415858  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page