sam9s Home Entertainment Theater Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Friends,

My name is sammy and I am from India. After about 4 years of waiting, collection information, pictures, ideas and reading AVS forum (followinf "Dedicated Theater Design & Construction" thread), finally I was able to kick start my Dream Home theater project a week back. Remember this is India I am talking about so the construction ways, ideas, availability of interiors will differe a lot, BUT since I am so very much in love with AVS that I had to share my HT construction with fellow members here. Hope to have a good participation, suggestions and recomendations.

Before we start lets have the Final Equipment LIst for the complete Home entertainment HUB (few Hardware is still yet to be purchased.)

Equipment List for a 5.1 HT system.

1. EPSON 2030 3D 1080p Full HD Projector.
2. Screen 120" 16:9 - (Yet to be purchased).
3. DENON AVR X1000
4. Panasonic BD-60 Bluray Player
5. WD TV Live Media PLayer
6. Roku Stick - for MHL HDMI on Epson 2030 (Yet to be purchased).
7. C2D - HTPC with GT440, ScanDisk SSD, XBMC
8. FRONTS : Polk Tsi 300
9. CENTER : Polk TSx 150C
10. REAR : Polk Tsx 110B
11. SUB : Polk DSW 550
12. 2 Recliner front seating
13 3 seater soft back seating.

Civil Details BASIC

1. Room Length : 15' feet
2. Width : 12' feet
3. Height : 8 feet' (false ceiling would be @ 8') actual height is around 9'
4. No natural lighting, only two door, one for entry and one for exit
5. A pantry cum mini office cum computer lab will be adjacent to the main theatre room (check 3D Model below)
6. Still planning if I would also add a tiny bar as well.smile.gif

Civil Details INTERIORS as planned

Interior colour scheme would be shades of beige

1. 3 Walls :: Thin Carpeted on Thin MDF boards on 3 walls (left, right and back)
2. Front wall (i.e screen wall.) :: Will be painted in dark brown color. sample below.

3. Ceiling :: will be false ceiling with gypsum boards, it can plain or something like square boards as we have in offices. This is yet to be decided, I am inclined towards square gypsum board false ceiling, something like sample below.

4. Flooring :: Will be in three layers, first a vinyl sheet(thin), then a foam sheet and finally thick carpet.

5. Equipment Rack :: Equipment rack will be hosted in a separate Equipment cum Online UPS/Inverter room, with a small separate space for the Genset.
Equi[pment rack will host 7 shelves with all my A/V gear. One rack will have my laptop with sliding mount. The top rack will host manual high quality switches to indivisually controll all the electronics, including lighting of the room. With two main DP switches to power on and off the entire built in one go. (one for all lights and one for equipment)

5. Lighting :: 6 spot lights on roof. 3 spot lights on front wall screen. 2 mini spot lights on rear speakers. 4 spot lights on 4 wall posters (huge 3' by 4' posters). Step lights on raiser and finally spot light on my Equipment rack.
Apart from this there woulds also be few more mini lights covering other aspects (details later in the thread)

What kind of lights, shade make, is yet to be decided. Will need fellow members input here.

6. Automation :: Have decided to use Z-Wave technology to automate as much as possible in my HT.

3D Floor Plan.

Below are the screen shots of 3D floor plan, that would give you an idea of what I am planning.

Below is a video of the same 3D floor plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIIYS91EhVk&feature=youtu.be

Below are the actual pics of construction.

Remember as I said this is India, so here we have Brick Cement wall construction not like US, UK (DRY WALL). The roof also is cement sheets to keep the heat out, below it I will be having a proper POP or Gypsum boards false ceiling to give it a proper appearance.

Current Status:

The room walls are erect, and conduits for mains, spk and lighting have been laid out. Plastering is going at present.

Stay Tuned for More updates and details. smile.gif ... Suggestions are most welcomed .....smile.gif

Regards
Sammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

friends any recommendation, suggestion ......... I feel a bit disappointed, after reading so many threads on HT construction for so many years finally when I started of my own, I was hoping to have "some" participation.

Anyway the update is interior civil construction is almost finished, Currently flooring is been laied out. Couple of more days and I believe I should be able to start with the interiors.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Your project is interesting because of the use of different materials. I don't quite understand the purpose of the 5 rooms surrounding the private screening room you are creating. This may be one of the first single seat front row theaters documented here.

In your image it doesn't look like the entrance door has enough clearance to open with the speaker and stage in the way.
sam9s likes this.
post #4 of 31 Old 04-06-2014, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Your project is interesting because of the use of different materials. I don't quite understand the purpose of the 5 rooms surrounding the private screening room you are creating. This may be one of the first single seat front row theaters documented here.

In your image it doesn't look like the entrance door has enough clearance to open with the speaker and stage in the way.

Thanks DC, for your response (I was kinda getting disappointed) there are not 6 rooms actually. The room at the very back will not be constructed yet. It will be my future Private Music room. The other room near the the top left floorstand speaker also is not a room actually, it will be just a passage from HT to Music room. Currently its just open space as the music room is not constructed. Coming to the The first room at the very start is not a room is just a gallery to the main entrance. So basically I only have 2 more rooms joining the main HT. The one on the left is the Equipment room where the component rack back will be exposed. The other one just behind the screen wall will be my Pantry/kitchenette cum computer room.

Coming to seating yes front row will be single seating coz the room width is just 11.5'. I might go for a 2 seater combined recliner, havent given a thought to it, but with 2 seater front and 3 seater sofa at the back might seem too congested in a 15x11 room size, I can probably then have 2 seater sofa at the back. what do you say.

About the spk at the entrance, yes you are correct, it was not providing enough clearance so I had to move the speaker to the right of the Equipment rack. The Dolby/DTS sighs will be shifted accordingly.

I will share and take suggestion from you all when I start doing my interiors, so more points like this which might need attention can come up before hand and can be addressed accordingly.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I may have my doors mixed up. I was reffering to the one next to the front left speaker. I guess that is not an entrance but the way to get to your future music room.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

^^ Yes that is correct ... smile.gif
post #7 of 31 Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

It should open out of the theater with the handle on the other side, assuming this is not a theater exit. If it was an exit that would not be safe.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Friends UPDATE :::

This weekend, a long one with good Friday being off, good progress made.

1. False ceiling work started, 50% completed .....By the EOD today should be completed

2. All electric wiring done, left is : Spk cables, HDMIs, USB and CAT 6 cables.

3. Went to bhagirath palace (
Place for all kinds of lights in Delhi INDIA) and all lights were bought. 26 unites in total purchased. This is how I will segregate.

1. 6 ceiling LED spot light
2. 4 High Beam spot lights falling to the project screen
3. 5 High Beam spot light falling on 5 posters
4. 1 High Beam spot light falling on Equipment rack, when glass door will be opened.
5. 1 mini table lamp
6. 4 small warm ceiling lights for the gallary entry
7. 1 big ceiling light for equipment room
8. 1 High Beam spot light falling on the back of the Equipment rack
9. 1 5 meter warm rope light
10. 2 5 meter LED strip light

Yet to purchase .....

1. pantry Lights
2. Light for out side walls of the theater.

post #9 of 31 Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Friends UPDATE ::

False Ceiling complete .. smile.gif

Below sample ceiling light (will be 6 of these)

Sample spot light for the back of the rack

[/QUOTE]
post #10 of 31 Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

white ceiling?
post #11 of 31 Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

....something wrong ..?
post #12 of 31 Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Reflections brother, reflections.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

As drawn in your plan the projection screen is usually white. When you turn off the room lights and fire up the projector you have an image on the screen. There will be light areas and dark areas, the difference between the two is called Contrast Ratio. Something black on the screen will be represented as the white screen with nothing shining on it. If it is dark enough our brains processes that visual information as black. Now as the image on the screen goes out into the room it will reflect off of all the surfaces and actually make it's way back to the screen turning the dark areas lighter and before long the image contrast ratio suffers. Blacks are no longer black they are gray.

Most ceilings are black or another dark color.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

gosh ... so I have to .. paint the grid boards to black ??? Walls and floor will be dark chocolate colored carpeted, so I hope no reflections from there ......... correct.

now if the white ceiling makes the viewing too distracted, my only option will be to paint them black or brown. Would spray paint work on gypsum based boards .....??
post #15 of 31 Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Any inputs ..???? I have decided to keep it white for the while. after the complete installation if I do feel reflections causing major distraction, will see to paint the tiles black. Please do point me to atleast what kinda of paint we are talking about here.

Current Project Status : Equipment rack construction going on...... will share the plan in next post, Build will take 2 days to complete, so by sat it should be complete. Will share the detailed pic once done.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't know what kind of paint to use, but you'll want it to be Black.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-27-2014, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Friends UPDATE :::

Equipment rack had been made and placed in to the wall grove. The side molding also has been added. It just needs polishing and should look good.
The front will also be cover with a glazed glass. Once the wall carpeting will be done, the final feel will come ... smile.gif....This is how I planned my equipment rack ...

Rack Dimensions :: 66"x24"
Total Racks :: 9

1. Room Switch Control Board :: All the switches for all the lights and electronics will be placed here.

I have not placed any switch board in any corner of the room. All manual switch control will happen from here.

2. AVR Denon x1000
3. HTPC
4. Gaming PC i7
5. Pana BD 60 Bluray player
6. Synology NAS + WD TV live
7. Router + Modem + 2xSwitch + Rasp Pi + Cubie Board
8. 7-10" Monitor connector to HTPC and Gaming PC for troubleshooting
9. My Radio Server (laptop)

Row 9 is on slider, so that the laptop can be pulled out for easy access. This shelve will be out of the Glass Door covering the entire 8 shelves.

Few snaps for the build

post #18 of 31 Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Friends ...UPDATE ...after a looong time smile.gif. My funds ran out to purchase the AC... biggrin.gif so could not proceed for a month ...lol...

Well the update is AC is installed and almost all interior lights have been installed as well. The lights you see on walls is the poster lights, under which the posters will come once the wall carpet is installed.

Next is Gallary lights, Equipment room lights and all connections terminating to the master switch board .... Plus all cable like HDMI, USB etc ...

After which will go for wall carpet, the flooring, door curtains etc... .... Which I presume will be the final stage.

I can then concentrate on placing my equipment and Projector.... smile.gif

Check the snaps below ....... Please ignore the mess in the room ..... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Its WIP hope you understand ...

[/QUOTE]
post #19 of 31 Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

It should open out of the theater with the handle on the other side, assuming this is not a theater exit. If it was an exit that would not be safe.

Sorry to side track this thread a bit, but can you explain this comment a bit more?  Is this meaning if the door is an 'exit' door, and it opens 'out', that someone could block exit access to it?? 

I ask because my theater plan has communicating doors into the theater, one opening 'out' and one 'in', and hadn't thought about safety in choosing an 'out swinging' door.

post #20 of 31 Old 06-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9s View Post

Friends ...UPDATE ...after a looong time smile.gif. My funds ran out to purchase the AC... biggrin.gif so could not proceed for a month ...lol...

Well the update is AC is installed and almost all interior lights have been installed as well. The lights you see on walls is the poster lights, under which the posters will come once the wall carpet is installed.

Next is Gallary lights, Equipment room lights and all connections terminating to the master switch board .... Plus all cable like HDMI, USB etc ...

After which will go for wall carpet, the flooring, door curtains etc... .... Which I presume will be the final stage.

I can then concentrate on placing my equipment and Projector.... smile.gif

Check the snaps below ....... Please ignore the mess in the room ..... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Its WIP hope you understand ...

[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're making good progress, I am jealous ;-) 

I am debating a Mini Split HVAC unit for my theater, they aren't as common place in the U.S., so, still learning about it.  

sam9s likes this.
post #21 of 31 Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Just found this thread - looks like you are making good progress!

A gentleman I worked with last fall from Bangalore had stated a desire to build a theater after visiting my home while here on business.  We did discuss the different construction techniques - last I knew he had not yet started on his project.

Anyway I agree with BIG that you will likely want to black out your ceiling.

Other than paint (latex in satin or less finish) you could look into wrapping the panels in dark colored burlap and/or hanging a velvet curtain across front ceiling to capture some of the reflected light.

kmhvball - I am using a mini-split in my theater and it works well - helps with isolation (no shared thermostat - noise is less than my projector)

sam9s likes this.
post #22 of 31 Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

^^ Yes I will do them black, will depend on how bad the reflections are ....... covering each tile with black velvet is the easiest effective method I can think off right now ....we will see ...
post #23 of 31 Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Friends UPDATE ::::

Well finally wall carpets and flooring is done. Looks decent IMO. With the AC on it gives a nice cozy feel,biggrin.gif I am sharing snaps of one wall to show how the carpet looks. To provide a complete and better perspective of the room will use my DSLR to take the pics and share.

Next all electrical and cables terminating to the master switch. Plus installation of online ups, inverter and genset. Basically all electricals. Then will probably start ad my actual HT gear one by one .... biggrin.gif ..

Few other things like Curtain, exhaust fan and glass door for equipment rack will also be installed simultaneously

BTW snaps are taken with door open under proper light, with close doors my cell was not taking good pictures ....as I said with doors closed actual feel of theater room will only be captured with a DSLR, which I will do soon as well.

[/QUOTE]
post #24 of 31 Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Project pics are always fun - keep them coming:)

Have you thought about first showing?  What film will you present?  (you're getting close to this event!)

post #25 of 31 Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM

The walls look quite nice, much nicer than I would have thought!  I guess Fabric Panels are essentially thin carpet like, but, my initial thought of Carpet on the walls was it wouldn't look very nice,  but it is quite nice.

Any idea if it has good 'absorptive' qualities?  Obviously much better than hard surface, but, any idea vs a Fabric covered 'insulation' (Linacoustic RC, Owens Corning OC-703, types of things in the U.S.)?

post #26 of 31 Old 06-05-2014, 05:20 PM

How thick and dense is the carpet.  Also what is the backing?

Did you hang any padding first or just the carpet?

post #27 of 31 Old 06-08-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitChin2 View Post

Project pics are always fun - keep them coming:)

Have you thought about first showing?  What film will you present?  (you're getting close to this event!)

Sure, sharing them is fun as well .. smile.gif .... First Showing ...well I have not yet finalized all, but will be categorized like below ..

1. 1st 2D (non 3d) Hollywood blockbuster
2. 1st 3D Hollywood blockbuster
3. 1st 2D Bollywood (Hindi - My native language) Blockbuster

1st 3D Hollywood Movie would be AVATAR in all probability ......... But I am interested in having suggestions :-) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

The walls look quite nice, much nicer than I would have thought!  I guess Fabric Panels are essentially thin carpet like, but, my initial thought of Carpet on the walls was it wouldn't look very nice,  but it is quite nice.

Any idea if it has good 'absorptive' qualities?  Obviously much better than hard surface, but, any idea vs a Fabric covered 'insulation' (Linacoustic RC, Owens Corning OC-703, types of things in the U.S.)?

Well, I am not sure about how good the absorptive quality will be for this material, but its definitely gonna be better than having hard surface. Result will only be felt when I will play my first movie smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitChin2 View Post

How thick and dense is the carpet.  Also what is the backing?
Did you hang any padding first or just the carpet?

Its a thin carpet, no more than 8mm, I presume. Also There is no backing, I was planning to have thin MDF boards, but with discussion it was concluded the extra money spend and efforts will not be worth as far as sound absorption goes.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Friends Update ::::

With the installation of front glass, my equipment rack is completed. Just need to add, few things for the cable management. Today I placed my AVR, HTPC and NAS. Just kept it there, not connected to have a feel of it, and it looked cool. AFA basic interiors goes its ready, now later I will slowly add the deco and esthetics part like posters, signs and all, that is something I will keep on adding. (its a never ending thing).......

Now I will be concentrating more on the back of the RACK, getting all the cable management done and connecting everything. Here check few snaps of how the RACk looks .....

Final stage will be adding the Projector and Screen...
BitChin2 likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Friends it gives me a great pleasure and honor to announce that finally the "core" of sam9s Home Entertainment Theater has been completed. By Core what I mean is other individual items to improve the esthetics, useability of the room will keep on adding, and I probably will open a Phase III thread for this.

BUT for now the projector has been installed the screen has been installed and it has given me a hallelujah of an experience. . I apologies for such a delayed response, actually the screen was installed on sat evening only at about 8 PM, but immediately after that I got so wrapped up in configuring all the things and experimenting that I could not get time for the post. Plus all my devices including my NAS was switched on along with my HT inauguration, so I got even more busy setting up everything.

None the less here I am to share all the pics and also iterate a brisk overview of my experience. First the pictures ....

1. Bare Bone Frame

2. Screen Installed from different angles

3. Screen from up close. Used the flash to show a bit of frame.

4. Now the actual quality when the movie is playing. The image brightness and quality is just impeccable.

4. A video to showcase the quality of the picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BI...ature=youtu.be

Please make sure you view this video in 1080p to have some idea, ofcourse this is no way even remotely near the actual image I was witnessing ....

================================================== ==========

I completed the installation on sat around 8 PM in the evening. Configured the AVR (Audssey) and it pretty much very nicely made the amendments. The only thing I changes manually was the woofer db. For some reason it calibrated to a negative value. I brought it to +1 and BOOM, the recliner was shaking. .

Few things before I share the movie experience. The projector installation........ I was a bit disappointed as I could not map the image corner absolute 100% to the screen, when infact every thing was calculated before the screen DIY. The diagonal is exact 130" +-1 few millimeters. But how so ever I tried I could not map the corners 100%........ there is an inch gap at the bottom left cornet and maybe 1/2 inch on the bottom top as well.

Though when the movie plays and the lights are switched off, nothing makes a difference and nothing gets noticed, but I was kinda little disappointed.

What is the experience of my other fellow members in this department.....

Anyway as I said it didnt matter the moment I played the movie.............

================================================== =============

My first Movie

Well I thought what should be my first movie on my HET (I call is HET, Home Entertainment Theater... ), I didnt want any rips as my first exp. Only Bluray, and with the 20 or so BDs I have, I chose Black Hawk Down for the inaugural enlightenment ... (It was a close call between, This, Transformers 1 and Saving Private Ryan)

Popped in the BD and ..... vola!! MAN!!! I am stumped ..... this screen/projector is fukcin .... huge and beautiful and damm crystle clear, and sharp and bright and..... and ... keep adding adjectives ... , basically its fukcin AWSOME!!!!!!!.

When I reached the main battle screen I was enjoying every moment of it, however I was a little edgy of the bass, as though it was good but (if you remember I enjoy shaking bass) it was not shaking. I opened the manual setting that Audssey did and I saw LFE db value in "negative"!!!, I was like WTH!!!! .... I increased the LFE DB to +1 and pushed the play button from pause .. and ...and ....and ....... I was blown and thrown out of my recliner ..... EARTH QUAKE ......!!!!! was what I felt ..

And I must ay NOTHING in the room including false ceiling tiles caused any noise due to this earth quack, yes my wife did come upstairs running asking why is the roof rumbling ..... ..... IT WAS AS SATISFYING AS I COULD EVER HOPED FOR. Better than any audition I have ever taken ( and believe me guys, this is not because its my personal HET), I am not that kind of a person who over exaggerate. But this was an actual BLISS!! .... far exceeding my expectation in all departments...

By the time I finished the movie it was like 2-3 AM, so I just dropped in to my bed. SUN was again a day for setting and I fiddled around my HTPC and all. I need to re install OpenELEC with new setting and all. The IPs and Port FW everything has been changed, per new Router and configuration, so next few days will be invested in this.

PLus 3D AND gaming as well ..... I have not yet tried 3D here which I will do today or tomorrow and share my experience. But up untill now this is THE Home Theater I was looking for ......

Regards
Sammy
BitChin2 likes this.
post #30 of 31 Old 07-08-2014, 03:39 AM

Congratulations!! That is very exciting to be up and running already, I am jealous of your speed of completion!

Things look quite nice!

Kevin
sam9s likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - BD-60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page