Take 2 Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nice progress and really like your riser as well.

And, of course, Go Sox! (Although likely not this year....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr View Post
Nice progress and really like your riser as well.

And, of course, Go Sox! (Although likely not this year....)
Thanks Jeff. Room is now taped & mud applied. Color on the walls is not to far away.

As far as the Sox go, I think they are at least 2 trades away from turning things around. I think Ellsbury hurt more than anyone in the front office wants to admit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1486.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	167249  
post #33 of 68 Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Now that's looking like a theater! Something about symmetry; just makes it more professional.
A great upgrade all the way around.
Sorry about the loss of your pet.

post #34 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Now that's looking like a theater! Something about symmetry; just makes it more professional.
A great upgrade all the way around.
Sorry about the loss of your pet.

David thanks for stopping by and the kind words on the room and my buddy. I am not much on cloning but if I was going to clone anything it would of been Kooper ~ what an awesome Lab.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The room is looking great! Are you doing anything special with sound treatment for the walls? Panels? If not, did you have any issues with sound in your previous setup? I am planning for my first theater in a 17'x~14' space and I go back and forth with how far I want to take sound proofing/isolation (e.g. Double stud wall) for this first build. Ultimately I just want to build mine as quickly as possible and start enjoying it.... soundproofing be damned. I'm curious about your experience.

Sorry about your buddy
post #36 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
The room is looking great! Are you doing anything special with sound treatment for the walls? Panels? If not, did you have any issues with sound in your previous setup? I am planning for my first theater in a 17'x~14' space and I go back and forth with how far I want to take sound proofing/isolation (e.g. Double stud wall) for this first build. Ultimately I just want to build mine as quickly as possible and start enjoying it.... soundproofing be damned. I'm curious about your experience.

Sorry about your buddy
Thanks Robert
On the first take I had built the room with detached double studs, so I left that as is. The 1st ceiling was a 8.5' suspended ceiling with double 2x2 tiles and R13 insulation. The sound was faintly noticeable but not disturbing. This time around I went with double 5/8"DW & green glue between the floor joist, then stuffed with pink stuff. I used clips & channel to hang 5/8" OSB as the 1st layer and then 5/8" DW with GG. I now have a 10' ceiling in the center. That to me has made a huge difference with foot traffic and assuming it will with sound once I am up and running. The soffits are a single layer of 5/8"DW , sides & bottoms and stuffed with insulation. They are 20" tall and 27" wide and I did not build baker boxes for the lights. Long story short, no I did not go crazy.

I am planning on panels for the side wall, 1 as sound treatment and 2 for looks and appeal.
My room is in the basement so depending on your location will depend on how much proofing you would want to do and your budget. I understand wanting to just get it done, that was me with my first go. I am definitely glad that I put the extra effort into the ceiling this time, I feel it is going to make a huge difference.

post #37 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Sorry about your buddy
I just wanted to make sure you are aware, which you very well could be, but there is a distinction between:
Soundproofing & Acoustic Treatments

There is some minor relationship, but largely they are are two separate topics. The 'soundproofing', such is isolation, double drywall, insulation, dampening agents - is to reduce sound coming into and going out of the theater.

Acoustic treatments, are specifically to enhance the sound quality inside the room, and to the main listening positions. These are the wall treatments, bass traps, absorption/ diffusion panels, etc.

You can have an outstanding Soundproof room, which sounds awful given a lack of acoustic treatments.

You can also have an amazing sound experience inside the theater from great acoustic treatments... but, everyone else can hear it outside the theater, and their sounds can get into the theater, with out sound proofing.

Many of the theaters here do both, but I have also seen several where the circumstances were such the that "Soundproofing' wasn't all that important, and the focus then was acoustic treatments.

For me... I need the soundproofing, so, going all in on it... and will of course do acoustic treatments as well

Thanks!

Kevin

post #38 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
I am definitely glad that I put the extra effort into the ceiling this time, I feel it is going to make a huge difference.
I wish people would stop saying that hard work pays off. Yuck. I just want to be lazy, throw the equipment in the room, and call it a day

On an semi-related note, we just moved to Charlotte about a year ago. We looked into moving to Concord, and now I wish we had so that I could stop by and bug you In all seriousness, I could probably donate a Saturday or Sunday if you need an extra hand in the coming weeks... of course I had to wait until it looked like you had all of the heavy lifting out of the way before offering!
post #39 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I just wanted to make sure you are aware, which you very well could be, but there is a distinction between:
Soundproofing & Acoustic Treatments
Hey Kevin, I do understand that there is a difference. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my stream of thoughts. Thank you for making it extra clear. I was definitely interested in both aspects in this build, and I think both were covered pretty well above. Thanks!
post #40 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wish people would stop saying that hard work pays off. Yuck. I just want to be lazy, throw the equipment in the room, and call it a day

On an semi-related note, we just moved to Charlotte about a year ago. We looked into moving to Concord, and now I wish we had so that I could stop by and bug you In all seriousness, I could probably donate a Saturday or Sunday if you need an extra hand in the coming weeks... of course I had to wait until it looked like you had all of the heavy lifting out of the way before offering!
LOL
Don't worry, I believe the heavy lifting is done or I at least hope so. Feel free to stop by and take a look and or to discuss anything. You can PM for my address. I am no means of an expert on any of this, I read a lot and try and do what the budget allows, I feel that something is better than nothing. I was happy with my first room. What started all this is I was upgrading my projector and my AVR and then one thing lead to another ~ I think they call it project creep.
All in all, I have enjoyed the building an really looking forward to completion. Will it be perfect? No. But I believe it will be better. Trying to make it perfect can be discouraging but I do the best I can and I will still enjoy it when it is done.

post #41 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
LOL
What started all this is I was upgrading my projector and my AVR and then one thing lead to another ~ I think they call it project creep.
This is definitely a very expensive Forum!! What started for me as a friend saying "oh, you're thinking of doing a home theater in your basement, take a look at avsforum"... is now, me doing Sound Proofing, Mr. Slim HVAC systems, planning acoustic treatments, 2.25:1 aspect ratio's, CIH projectors, acoustically transparent screens, doing clips & channel everywhere in my basement... OUCH... budget, what budget?

My wife keeps reminding me, I better spend time in this theater when it is all done!

Thanks!

Kevin

post #42 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
This is definitely a very expensive Forum!! What started for me as a friend saying "oh, you're thinking of doing a home theater in your basement, take a look at avsforum"... is now, me doing Sound Proofing, Mr. Slim HVAC systems, planning acoustic treatments, 2.25:1 aspect ratio's, CIH projectors, acoustically transparent screens, doing clips & channel everywhere in my basement... OUCH... budget, what budget?

Every time my wife ask if we are still on budget, I nod my head. I figure that you are always on budget as long as you don't have one. LOL

post #43 of 68 Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM

The more I learn the larger my budget seems to grow. Maybe I should just stop reading. Goodnight everybody.

I think I will just start keeping a budget for the current phase that I am working on. Right now I am getting into a couple of DIY speaker/sub builds. After that I'll just reset the numbers back to zero.
post #44 of 68 Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Can't see any pics??

Go Sox!! (No where to go but up... )

post #45 of 68 Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

We are picking out colors and a layout. We would like to mimic the picture below but in a Castle or Ledge stone on the bottom half. The columns will be painted in SW Clock Tower Brown. The walls are going to be a similar mustard, not as dark as the mustard pictured. The wall panels, hopefully will be close in wall color as long as I can match up the fabric or we will match the wall color to the panels, which is probably the route we will take. Panels will be trimmed out and painted SW Clock Tower Brown. The ceiling will be SW Clock Tower as well. The crown molding on the Soffit/Ceiling will be painted the same color as the wall. The carpet is a Shaw, color is Moose. The light tray will house a Amber dimmable LED rope light. The screen wall will not have stone, it will be black or dark brown velvet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	193
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	178698   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C040_68702_MAIN.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	178706   Click image for larger version

Name:	dutch-quality-cypress-castle-stone-natural-stone-veneer.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	178714   Click image for larger version

Name:	dutch-quality-cypress-weather-ledge-synthetic-stone.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	178722   Click image for larger version

Name:	led-2-wire-1-2-120v-directional-amber-rope-light-150-4.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	178730  

post #46 of 68 Old 07-24-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Can't see any pics??

Go Sox!! (No where to go but up... )

reposted, hopeful the pictures show up. Unless I am not understanding how to post pictures, the current way that I post pictures is frustrating

post #47 of 68 Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I can see them now, color theme looks cool.

I dig the stone, but is that good or "challenging" for acoustics?

post #48 of 68 Old 07-25-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post

I dig the stone, but is that good or "challenging" for acoustics?

Not sure. My home work this weekend is to research that. It is a manufactured stone, so I not sure of the material make up. I have sample on the way.

post #49 of 68 Old 07-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Not sure of the stone either (I am a noob after all) but is it any different than the high wainscotting people use in other theaters?

post #50 of 68 Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Bass traps are cut and temporarily in, maybe permanent, they seem to stay in place well. I used 11.5 2x4 sheets of the 2" Knauf board per side. 45 triangles brought it to 1" from the top, so I squeezed the 46 one in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1495.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	180434  

post #51 of 68 Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I did secure the bass traps in with a 2x2 on the inside. This also allowed me to secure the linacoustic on the outside edge which I put up today. Not that I know what I am doing but I put up 2 layers of 1" with a layer 4 mil poly in between. Looks cool anyway.

1st layer

Layer of Poly

And the 2nd layer

I have not fully secured the top half as I am going to run my cables down behind it then I will finish securing it. As you might be able to see, I have the first coat of brown on the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1500.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	181794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1503.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	181802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1507.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	181810  

post #52 of 68 Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I wouldn't be worried about any negative acoustic effects from the stone. Just another reflective surface like wood paneling or drywall. If anything, it might provide some beneficial diffusion at very high frequencies due to the contour.

post #53 of 68 Old 07-27-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
And the 2nd layer
I don't know why but these shots are my favorite in every build. It is the best kind of eye candy...
post #54 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I wouldn't be worried about any negative acoustic effects from the stone. Just another reflective surface like wood paneling or drywall. If anything, it might provide some beneficial diffusion at very high frequencies due to the contour.

I haven't found anything as of yet that says not to do it. I PM Dennis E to get his opinion, so we will see what he comes back with.

post #55 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I as I mentioned in post#30, I moved the Av rack to the hall closet across form the theater room. Should I be concerned if my front speaker/sub wire run is 70' +/- ?

post #56 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Finished painting the ceiling tonight, all though the picture doesn't do it justice it looks good. The brown is a rich deep color and looks a little black with the lights dimmed down
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1512.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	184826  

post #57 of 68 Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM

Looking good!
post #58 of 68 Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM

Let me know if you are still interested in selling any of your leftovers. PM sent.
post #59 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

More progress as we near the completion, still seems though like a lot left to finish up. First coat of SW Gold Coast on the wall as well as started the screen wall. I need to put a support on top in the middle and I think I am going to run a board across the bottom as well.

Also put up the small crown on the ceiling and mocked up the light tray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1516.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	195345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1518.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	195353  

post #60 of 68 Old 08-03-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
More progress as we near the completion, still seems though like a lot left to finish up. First coat of SW Gold Coast on the wall as well as started the screen wall. I need to put a support on top in the middle and I think I am going to run a board across the bottom as well.
Wow! Is that the same color on the ceiling/soffit as before (where you said: "brown is a rich deep color and looks a little black with the lights dimmed down")? If so, it is remarkable how different it looks... Very dramatic. This is one of those times for me where I see a color palette that I never would have thought to use, but to see it done it just looks fantastic. Well executed. (sending you PM)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page