Stage Question - Final construction - Sand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I know the answer already frown.gif but do I need sand in both sections of my stage?

Here is the full stage - The top is not attached yet.

I fear hauling that many bags into the basement will kill me eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 06:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Obviously the part of the stage where the speakers sit is the top priority. If your body isn't willing to fill the rest than you do what you can, fill with insulation. Are you going to carpet the stage?, if yes you should have a lip and it can be added after the fact.

Last comments, you should drywall the room before building the stage and risers, trust me it is easier and better for sound containment. Be sure the stage doesn't touch or is otherwise connected to the rooms framing. Also best practice is to put a barrier between concrete walls/floors and untreated lumber. I see regular plywood sitting on the floor. I would put down a layer of roofing felt.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I looked at your pictures again, you are planning to build some walls aren't you?, you need to frame them first. I don't see any room to frame the front wall.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I had a novice helping me in the beginning. The stage is only a few inches from the rear wall (concrete). I was going to seek help on what to do for the front wall next. I wonder how to decouple it; wall attached to the stage top after filling it with sand while decoupling from the ceiling?

I wish I had this forum resource when I had the traditional framer follow the design:
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

The stage is decoupled from the side walls but unfortunately it was set with construction adhesive to the concrete slab (no roofing felt underneath)
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Frankly I'd rip it out and start over, it is that bad. I doubt it is glued so tight a crowbar couldn't get the job done before the first coffee break. For one thing lets assume at some point you want to convert the room to another use, the wall is sitting on the stage? no way.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ugg, I thought it might be that bad. I plan to stay in the house I built for my whole life so I want the theater done right. It's the only room I have left for me : ) The house full of girls (my wife and two daughters) took over everything else.

As close as you are to me, maybe you're looking for another client?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm booked for a bit for hands on work but I do Skype consulting in the evenings.

Here is what the stage framing should generally look like.

another:

smiddleton5401 likes this.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I see the shortcomings by comparison. I'm going to see if it can be disassembled to have it forward enough for a proper wall assembly with clips, GG, DD, etc

If you know of someone good near the Montgomery County Maryland area you work well with, let me know.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Frankly I'd rip it out and start over, it is that bad. I doubt it is glued so tight a crowbar couldn't get the job done before the first coffee break. For one thing lets assume at some point you want to convert the room to another use, the wall is sitting on the stage? no way.

I don't know much, but I've seen enough of his builds and advice to listen to BIG.

I fear I will have to move out and redo the rear riser as well:

Old 04-13-2014, 05:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I would, that may not be tall enough anyway. Risers should have at least two layers of 3/4 decking (keep it quiet) and be filled with insulation. Built on roofing felt of course. unless those were Pressure treated sleepers.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would, that may not be tall enough anyway. Risers should have at least two layers of 3/4 decking (keep it quiet) and be filled with insulation. Built on roofing felt of course. unless those were Pressure treated sleepers.

They are 2x6's on top of pressure treated with about 1.5"- 2" of gap from any walls. I'm limited to the height of the platform coming off the steps leading into the theater from the other hallway. There is enough room for 2 layers of 3/4" decking though. The pictures only show temporary decking to move around; its not attached yet.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddleton5401 View Post

I'm limited to the height of the platform coming off the steps leading into the theater from the other hallway.

Make it a two level riser, the entrance level and the seating area, use step lights if you plan on having guests.

I'd have to see the entrance maybe you could step up to the final level outside the theater first
Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Why roofing felt? I've seen that elsewhere too, but what's the reason/science behind it? Also, how far away from the walls should stage be? Does the carpet and sand just keep it in place then?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Make it a two level riser, the entrance level and the seating area, use step lights if you plan on having guests.

I'd have to see the entrance maybe you could step up to the final level outside the theater first

I am leaning towards a two level riser now as well... The first being the height of the last step into the basement, carried into the theater room. This will make for slightly more head room under soffits... The 2nd will be contained essentially inside the footprint if the initial riser to contain the 2nd row of seats at a higher height. The main riser, already being step height, would then step down to the first row floor level. I may still extend the ends of the riser to go past the rear of the first row.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 PM

Answered my own question about the sand - 

Quote:
Quote:
3. 4 or 6 mil plastic in cavity and fill the the top with dry play sand.
Q. is the weight of the sand what actually keeps the floor in place in lieu of attaching it to the concrete?

More importantly it makes stage accoustically dead - no/little resonance from stage. But yes, my 12' x 4' x 6" stage has nearly half a ton of sand in it and it inst going anywhere. My stage is not that large.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 PM

Dennis menioned in a couple threads I've read 

Quote:
 Be sure your subwoofer(s) is (are) very firmly anchored to the platform.

How exactly would they be anchored? I keep thinking that I'll just end up setting my speakers on the carpet for the front, and others higher around the room.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I've never read that instruction and I've never anchored a sub. I use gravity and the little knobby feet dig into the carpet. Another method is to put spike feet on the bottoms.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM

Ok, that's what I was planning, but I couldn't for the life of me think he would mean to literally anchor it to the platform with screws and such. But it is Dennis, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being ignorant. Thanks BigmouthinDC!