We probably all do this in our theaters, we just don't talk about it. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm talking about cleaning it you filthy minded gutter rats! biggrin.gif

Seriously though we obsess about speakers, amps, BR player, sound insulation/isolation, subs, and on and on and on, but seldom do we talk about how to clean and care for our rooms and equipment.

This topic does come up from time to time, but lets face it, this is not the most glamorous part of HT ownership. I'll agree it is much more fun talking about other aspects of HT anything other than cleaning, but when it comes down to it, this is a very vital part of HT ownership to get the most mileage from our investment.

I came across a very user friendly piece of HT cleaning gear about three weeks ago, or I should say my wife found it for me.

Long story short she/we were in the market for a new smaller vacuum. We have a Kirby that was our main vacuum and we had a little cordless vac for small spills and the laminate floors. The little vac died and the hunt began.

First my wife bought a cordless Dyson. The DC35 model. She did not like it at all. She then moved on to this little beauty.

This is a Shark Rocket. Now I don't want to wax poetic and get all misty eye's over a vacuum, but this thing is pretty awesome as far as vacuums go. It is light weight and very portable and works well on all types of carpet as well as laminate floors. The head is powered by a motor not suction so it does not bog down and the unit is corded so there is no running out of power and the cord is extra long too. The head is just about as wide as a stair tread so it is perfect for vacuuming the stairs as well.

As you can see I'm pretty impressed with this little guy. Just thought I'd share with all ya all about this little vacuum.

Feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 579
You gotta love a vacuum that looks like it was made from parts scavenged from a paint sprayer and a bathroom scale.

thanks for the heads up, should we start calling you Martha?
post #3 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

You gotta love a vacuum that looks like it was made from parts scavenged from a paint sprayer and a bathroom scale.

thanks for the heads up, should we start calling you Martha?

Haha.....Not if you expect me to respond. tongue.gif

Yeah I agree a pretty design it's not. Also not very Dysonish either (gotta admit they do have a certain look about them), but from what I could tell with my very limited use of the Dyson, and compared to what Mrs. RTROSE said about the two, there was no contest at which one actually did a better job vacuuming. The Shark was the best hands down.

I guess they could have called it the "Transformer" because it does have the ability to change for the job at hand, but guess the "Transformer" moniker has already been use.

Now that you have mentioned a paint sprayer, I can't look at the thing without thinking that somehow it could serve that purpose as well. wink.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #4 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
he he biggrin.gif this ought to be my fastest keyboard click on my laptop when browsing the dedicated theater section and seeing the threat title tongue.gif Very nice looking vaccum thanks for sharing! I always wondered what set of cleaning tools people use to clean the theater regularly, any cleaning agents or wipes specific for the panamorph anamorphic lens and projector lens, how often to clean my centerstage XD screen and with what?
post #5 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've used a shark on hardwood floors in my old house, and I feel in love with it. So I'm with you RTRose!

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #6 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

RT, Did you see this review on youtube, between Shark Rocket and Dyson digital slim. It is the successor to the DC 35 and the person claims quite a lot of advantages over Shark and previous owners of the DC 35 like the digital slim better. If you did see the review then let me know why you choose the shark over it ? or have you zeroed in but not yet purchased the shark?
post #7 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes we did actually. The Mrs. and I watched quite a few reviews on both models. The Mrs. purchased the Dyson and had it for a grand total of one day. The drawbacks, it is cordless and only has a 15 min run time, the power switch is a trigger (the Mrs. did not like having to pull the trigger constantly), and while highly praised and touted for its suction and cleaning prowess it just did not seem to do very well in our home.

The Shark is corded (no run time issues) it has a switch vs. a trigger so it stays on. It is larger than the Dyson so it is more versatile transitioning from carpet to laminate to be fair though the Dyson is more of a quick clean up type and not billed as a "full sized" upright type vac. While the Shark is technically not a full size vac it does a very good job filling in for our current full size vac which is a Kirby. Much easier to lug around than the Kirby as well.

The one drawback to the Shark is the small debris cup, it fills up very quickly, but it is a minor annoyance. Oh did I mention that the Shark is cheaper as well? Bonus to me. biggrin.gif

I think there was something about the attachments as well that the Mrs did not like on the Dyson, but I can't remember what that was ATM.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #8 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Got it. Sorry I did not read your first post properly I was assuming the vaccum was just for your theater room only and was wondering why you did not go for the slim.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I was just considering the theater room it might have been a tougher call (on my part) between the two. However I think the major limiting factor for me is the limited run time. Maybe I don't vacuum fast enough but I couldn't get all I needed to vacuum, vacuumed in just the 15 min (less if you are using max power) run time.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #10 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I wouldn't trade our Sebo for any pseudo paint spraying vacuum cleaner.......

The Germans know how to SUCK.................the dirt out of carpet! eek.gif

smile.gif
post #11 of 26 Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yeah that first night after finishing the starfield ceiling was amazing. My wife felt like we were actually outside. That ceiling was worth every minute and penny spent...........wait, what?!?! Cleaning???? My wife does that.
RTROSE likes this.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Beam central vacuum and Swiffers are what I use.

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print http://www.hometheater.com/writer/26443

Mocha Theater Construction thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527883/mocha-theater-construction 

post #13 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Lol.

My wife has same vacuum and loves it. I don't mean to sound sexist because I'm not but the truth is she bought it, it's hers, and I've never tried it. She uses it daily.. I know because it's always upon first waking while I'm sleeping. It's not loud though, not as loud as a corded vacum anyways. I guess I'm lucky?? I'm more a filthy rat I guess; she's the neat and clean one.

I thought I'd +1 for OP
RTROSE likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
It is funny that you started this thread because I was about to start one. I bought the Shark stick as well and it really does a great job. I could not get the lint out of the new black carpet on the stage. I tried my Dyson and lint rollers and had very little luck. I bought this guy and it knocks it out in a hurry. The attachment are great as well. I did a lap around the room with the crevice tool and it got all of the dust and new carpet fuzz up.

As you said the only downside is the small debris camber but it is easy to dump out. After a couple passes over the new carpet it looked like closing time at a barbers shop.

There are 2 Shark Rockets, a full size and this one. The wife picked up the wrong one on her first trip to the store.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #15 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Have the DC Slim. At first it felt like a $300 gimmick but its actually served pretty well over the last 18 months. I looked at the shark, but first sight of the cord turned me away from it. I've only run out of juice with the dyson twice, and thats because I was using it as a full vacuum.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #16 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
MIele. Because I hate the sound of a vacuum.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #17 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

MIele. Because I hate the sound of a vacuum.

Meile makes great vacuums.........tried to convince wife to go that way but she wanted the strongest motor with strongest suction..........and of course a higher price tag. rolleyes.gif

Now we've had the Sebo for a year, I understand her reasoning. Damn machine literally beats and lifts carpet off pad! Nothing gets away or sticks to carpet! eek.gif
post #18 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Meile makes great vacuums.........tried to convince wife to go that way but she wanted the strongest motor with strongest suction..........and of course a higher price tag. rolleyes.gif

Now we've had the Sebo for a year, I understand her reasoning. Damn machine literally beats and lifts carpet off pad! Nothing gets away or sticks to carpet! eek.gif

What model of Sebo is yours?
post #19 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

You'd have to ask.................I'll check with my fearless leader.......my misses!  ;)

post #20 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Boss didn't know.......so I took a picture.

Best vac I've ever had.............powerful and picks up copper wire strands like no other! biggrin.gif

post #21 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Damn thats a monster. I never heard of it before you mentioned it and it all and only 5 star reviews on Amazon. I have to get this if my current one breaks down, and i allways thought dyson was the best rolleyes.gif
post #22 of 26 Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello .... hello ... hellooooooooo ... can someone please tell me how I get back to AVS ?

I seem to have wandered off into a weird corner of the net !! LOL biggrin.gif

Cheers,
post #23 of 26 Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Don't leave yet we are just getting this party started.

AppleMark
post #24 of 26 Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am yet to find a domestic vac that sucks as hard as my Festool shop vac.....given the theater will be handier to the garage that's what I'll be using

We've got a Dyson for the rest of the house.....garbage by comparison

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #25 of 26 Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have a Dyson that I HATE. I bought a small shark at Costco, also a useless piece of crap. I've been planning on retrofitting a central vac but would love to find a good canister machine instead. I'll check out the Sebo!

Two golden retrievers. A Himalayan persian. I live in New Mexico (we have dust). I suck at domestic chores.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #26 of 26 Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

I have a Dyson that I HATE. I bought a small shark at Costco, also a useless piece of crap. I've been planning on retrofitting a central vac but would love to find a good canister machine instead. I'll check out the Sebo!

Two golden retrievers. A Himalayan persian. I live in New Mexico (we have dust). I suck at domestic chores.

You won't be disappointed with Sebo...........guess my wife knows best! wink.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page