How to keep a Theater cool in an older home with evaporative cooler. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am trying to work out the details to build a theater in my recently purchased home that was built in the 30s. One of my concerns is keeping it cool. The house has several evaporative coolers to cool it, and most of the time they are pretty good. There were a few 100+ days last year were it was still ~80 in the house though.

The house does not have ANY kind of HVAC that I could tap into at all. I have a windows towards the rear of the theater, it's ~19x32 and at ground level. I considered putting a window unit it, but then it adds additional noise, and the room cannot be properly isolated.

I considered putting a window unit in the room next to the theater, and piping the cooler air in. That would help minimize the incoming noise...

Thoughts?

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-14-2014, 05:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
There have been some projects here where the HVAC for the theater was provided by an air exchange system. In simple terms big silent in-line fans blowing air in and sucking it out from adjacent rooms. The points of entry and exit employ dead vents to keep the sound out and in. Now all you have to do is cool the adjacent room and that can be a little noisy.

Another solution is a quiet Mini Split AC like a Mitsubishi Mr Slim.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmmm. The Mr Slim would install nicely between the two rooms outside and would not only keep both rooms comfortable, but I could also get rid of the radiators in both rooms that were proving to be problematic to work around. A little pricey at ~$5k for the solution though...

Or, I get a window unit that performs similar function for ~$700 and put it in the office and use the air exchange system.
Ok, after reading up a bit, it would be difficult to do that with the office since the shared wall between them is concrete. The only place that a dead vent would make sense is along the wall next to the stairs, or at the front of the theater.

As it is, the temp in the basement is very difficult to regulate, and is always too hot or too cold, so I'm thinking something like the Mr Slim makes more sense.

Thanks Jeff!

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Evap coolers need a lot of air flow to be comfortable, otherwise you get way too much humidity in the room. I've got evap in my garage and my adjacent theater gets muggy just from vapor transmission through the drywall.

Between the humidity and heat load my 1.5 ton mini split in the theater can't keep up unless I run it almost full time during the summer. I doubt that a window unit would have enough capacity.

I'm looking at replacing my mini split with a ducted unit that's more efficient and quiet. I'll install a vapor barrier and another layer of sheetrock on the garage wall while I'm at it to keep the water vapor at bay.

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #5 of 5 Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Evap coolers need a lot of air flow to be comfortable, otherwise you get way too much humidity in the room. I've got evap in my garage and my adjacent theater gets muggy just from vapor transmission through the drywall.

Between the humidity and heat load my 1.5 ton mini split in the theater can't keep up unless I run it almost full time during the summer. I doubt that a window unit would have enough capacity.

I'm looking at replacing my mini split with a ducted unit that's more efficient and quiet. I'll install a vapor barrier and another layer of sheetrock on the garage wall while I'm at it to keep the water vapor at bay.

My evaps are on the roof of my second story. The basement rarely received benefit of them. The upstairs could get pretty muggy on some of the hotter days, but I didn't get much humidity in the basement. Thankfully since my server room is in the basement and I'd cry if my stuff blew up.

Sean Hull

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page