(Almost) Blank slate theater build--Help Wanted! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-15-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am new to AVS and am seeking advice on building my own home theater. Reading through some of the threads has given me a broad concept of theater design but I am very much a greenhorn in this realm.

My wife-approved, basement space is 18' x 16'. The room is actually around 18'x32', but we would like to keep the space open with the seating within 16'. This is mainly due to room symmetry and support column location. If possible, I would like to build a stage and false AT wall with a 2.35:1 AT screen. The room currently has all walls finished with sheet rock over studs that have been placed roughly 1/4" away from concrete. The walls are insulated with polystyrene sheets and we have a drop ceiling already in place. We will mostly leave existing wall and ceiling treatments in place and lay carpet with a thick pad to the floor. I will try to post some pics soon.

Some questions to start with:
Where should I begin?
To stage or not to stage?
What screen size would be appropriate?
What level of sound isolation would be appropriate considering open floor plan and drop ceiling?

Thanks in advance! All advice will be considered and very much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 937
what will be your seating configuration and distance to screen?
post #3 of 24 Old 04-15-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to do one row of seating at about 14' from screen--depending on stage.
post #4 of 24 Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampsdds View Post

Where should I begin? draw a floor plan

To stage or not to stage? yes

What screen size would be appropriate? 130 inch wide 2.35:1 , going bigger you need to get more selective on projector selection and brightness. Sit 11 1/2 to 12 ft from the screen.

What level of sound isolation would be appropriate considering open floor plan and drop ceiling? zero, drop ceiling will not contain sub-woofer rumble.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-15-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Big, thanks so much for the quick reply. I appreciate your expertise and your time!

I am hoping to get some pictures up will try to draw up a floor plan as well. I've read a few of your threads about sanding the stage--would this be necessary in my situation?

post #6 of 24 Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #7 of 24 Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

I have roughly 8'5" from floor to drop ceiling with about 4" from drop to bottom of floor joists. Any restrictions on the height of the stage?
post #8 of 24 Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I've added a few pics of the room (sorry for the mess, we are still unpacking from the move). I tried to capture all four "corners". I've also included a couple quick general drawings of the layout and also a generic drawing of a stage possibility below.

post #9 of 24 Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Samps is my brother-in-law and I told him to start a thread to document his build and get help. I have never done a stage or false wall so am little help to him at this point. I recommended he take a look at something like the panasonic ae8000 for projector with memory lens shift for projector. Diy sound group for speakers, maybe tempests or the fusion 15's being redesigned and a couple volt 10's for side surrounds for a 5.1. Then a couple full marty subs for bass.

I think its going to be a pretty cool multipurpose theater space. cool.gif
post #10 of 24 Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks bro! I am planning on piecing my build together over time...does anyone have any thoughts on which speakers to go with for my room size and set up? I'm likely going to go with Onkyo tx-nr818 for receiver so that I may increase to 7.2 at some point. I do like the idea of using diysoundgroup for speakers, just need to know where to start...

Edit: After doing some reading I am now leaning toward the nr929 for receiver. Further into the void I go! I'm really needing some help here...anyone?
post #11 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Maybe the best advice I can give you is just to read through some stuff from a few noted home theater experts collected here in the Downunder Theatre MKII thread . Member Elill was good enough to put some of these things together for us to get schooled a bit. Then I would read through it all again! And of course the stickies will keep you busy for quite some time.

Some of the information will not apply because it is a multipurpose room and I take it you will not be soundproofing the entire area. But still it is good to know best practices and then go from there to decide what is best for your room and budget. You already have great advice from Luke so I don't know what else I can add. But, if you are located here in KC you can drop by my place to take a look and get ideas or ask questions. Luke knows the way.

I think I would advocate keeping the viewing distance closer than you previously thought and that would give you the potential to add a skinny bar at the back as a future second row that takes up very little space. There are also lots of advantages to sitting closer to save money on projectors and speakers and what not.

I think the DIY subs and speakers are the way to go for the budget conscious and capable builders. You are on the right track!
post #12 of 24 Old 04-20-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I will definitely check it out. I do like the idea of having the seating a little closer in as it would give me a little more room for surrounds and, potential skinny bar:)...thanks for the idea! I'll beback after I've studied up a bit more!
post #13 of 24 Old 04-24-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

After a bit of research, I ordered a refurbished Denon AVR-X4000. I liked the idea of having independent subEQ as opposed to only being able to adjust the subs cohesively with the nr929. In addition, per Luke and Grant, I've got a couple DIY Volt 10s on the way...got to have some jams while I'm working on the rest of the room smile.gif
post #14 of 24 Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

The x4000 and two V-10s arrived a couple weeks ago. I have been busy assembling the flatpacks and crossovers.

Finished crossovers and enclosures last night...just need to box them up!

post #15 of 24 Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

I've been SLOWLY progressing with my theater room as we have been waiting for the contractor for a while to finish the rest of the room out. Ultimately, due to busy work and family life, I had to delegate the room finish to someone else. He has begun the process of getting some of the final pieces together, and we are hoping to have the carpet in by mid April. While he was at it, I had him install a minimal screen wall and soffit. MUCH CREDIT TO BIGmouthinDC FOR THE FANTASTIC IDEA!! THANKS BIG!! I've been studying the minimalist screen wall thread a lot lately This design is great as it required our contractor very little time to install and is solid as a rock! I located some of the FJP from HD that BIG suggested and couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out! I have elected to go with a 120" 2.35:1 screen from Falcon, at least my screen wall is currently built to that dimension.

Also finished painting Volt 10s and I am in the process of trying to come up with a mounting solution. I have considered using a short length of galvanized pipe with a floor flange on either end. I will update on that front with pics if successful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	595465  
post #16 of 24 Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Finally! Some serious progress!

Here are a few photos of the basement theater room's finishing progress...after having this thread for a year I have slowly come to the realization that this thread should have been created under General Theater/Game rooms rather than dedicated, Sorry
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Im planning on adding some more images when the woodwork and handrail are installed.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up mounting the Volt 10s to the ceiling using a short piece of galvanized pipe and a flange on each end. These suckers weigh about 30 lbs so I braced them to studs using some scrap which will be painted to blend. The grill cloth is from parts express and the boxes were painted with latex to match the walls of the room. The speakers were mounted within the dolby recommended angle from the desired seating position and the threads on the flanges give some degree of adjustment so that some tweaking can be done to find the sweet spot. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
post #18 of 24 Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to use two full marty enclosures each housing a Dayton UM-18. Thanks to chalugadp and LTD02 for the awesome step by step guide in the Marty Sub FAQ thread! I can't wait to get these behemoths fired up! Ive still got a ways to go before the enclosures are finished. Does anyone know where to find a cheap egg crate bed topper to use as a liner or another alternative? All I can seem to find are the memory foam.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sampsdds; 04-15-2015 at 09:04 AM.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't even have kids and those stairs scare the hell out of me LOL

This is not due to any benevolent concern for child safety or anything like that, mind you.

It's merely because, well, ...let's just say I probably enjoy my weekends a bit too much
post #20 of 24 Old 04-15-2015, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Haha! We will be installing a railing at least to prevent a tumbler from going out of bounds, maybe one along the wall as well ...I just need to get my furniture down there first!
post #21 of 24 Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Even tho I don't have kids, I do have a couple nephews in the 4-12 yr old range and during the several times I have visited and watched these budding stunt men exercise their craft when mommy and daddy weren't looking - it has definitely been proven to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that boys under 12 - bounce. LOL So I say forget the railing, just put a couple of mattresses below the stairs LOL Maybe draw a bulls eye on them for good measure LOL

...on 2nd thought, yeah, go with the railing.
post #22 of 24 Old 04-16-2015, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Here it is...just finished yesterday complete with baby gate at the top
My son is an absolute wild man so I may STILL put mattresses at the bottom just for good measure haha!
[IMG][/IMG]
post #23 of 24 Old 04-16-2015, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know of an AT fabric with similar properties as the GoM FR701 that would pass low frequencies from subs but have less light transmittance? Perhaps in a velvet texture?
post #24 of 24 Old Today, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]

One full marty finished. The second is in progress and coming along nicely. Should have it finished this weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction