Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Friends,
My apologies if I have not chosen the most appropriate forum.
My local audio/video dealer has suggested the following to update my old Knoll/Panasonic DVD/Harman Kardon amp projection system

Epson Pro Cinema 4030 Projector (Includes mount & extra lamp) $2,599.00
Oppo BDP-103D BluRay Player $599.00
Ultralink (HDMI) (Estimate Only) 250.00
Misc. Parts (Estimate only) 50.00
Labor (Estimate only) (2 Men) 750.00

I would be sincerely grateful to hear your comments on this selection of equipment. I watch only Netflix discs on this system and have a DaLite 8' wide Cosmopolitan screen about 14' from the projector.
I may also wish to stream Netflix movies. But, in any case, I only watch movies, i.e., no TV or other media.
Thank you very much, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 04:46 AM

Liked: 21

If that Ultralink you list is only an HDMI cable I would say he is over charging on that. I personally would never pay that for an HDMI cable. Its only transmitting a 1 or a 0. You would be fine with supplying one yourself from monoprice. I don't see why it would take two guys to install that either.

Just my two cents

post #3 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 05:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 608
cable should be under $50
you didn't mention ceiling mount
How difficult is it going to be to pull in the HDMI cable. Is there a conduit in place? Are they cutting drywall, patching and painting?

You are paying for the full day for two guys, shouldn't take but a a half a day.

Basically you are paying close to $1000 to install a projector, most of us DIY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I certainly agree about the cable--which may be indicative of overcharging on the other items as well.
Monoprice is fine by me.
The guys like to work as a team in case they have to pull wires. I will be charged only the time they actually spend.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #5 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I will confront them about cable costs. Digits are digits.
I have an existing projector system, as I said, but there will be additional wiring from my computer to the BluRay player. The labor will be actual hours spent. I am trying to do as much as possible of it, like the conduits, to keep their charges to a minimum.
Any idea about the projector or player? Or, is that better asked in another forum section?
Thank you, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #6 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

discussion about that projector, Mike Garret weighs in and you may want to reach out to him for his pricing on Epson Projectors. I'm hanging a 5030 tomorrow, if the mount arrives.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495845/epson-4030-showing-and-value/0_40

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 54 Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. That's a big help.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #8 of 54 Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Why can't you install the projector yourself?

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 54 Old 04-24-2014, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

cable should be under $50
Here is the response I got when I mentioned the very pricey HDMI cable they intended to use:
"Nate looked at the Monoprice website you attached with the HDMI cable. That cable is basically the lowest line of HDMI cable out there, its not 4K compatible. This is nothing in comparison to the HDMI cable that Nate has quoted. Its like driving your Ferrari on the cheapest tires & cheapest gas possible. Do you really want to run your $3,000 projector on a $27 cable? "

What's this about "4K compatible"?
Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #10 of 54 Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post

Here is the response I got when I mentioned the very pricey HDMI cable they intended to use:
"Nate looked at the Monoprice website you attached with the HDMI cable. That cable is basically the lowest line of HDMI cable out there, its not 4K compatible. This is nothing in comparison to the HDMI cable that Nate has quoted. Its like driving your Ferrari on the cheapest tires & cheapest gas possible. Do you really want to run your $3,000 projector on a $27 cable? "

What's this about "4K compatible"?
Thanks, Richard

Wow, I wonder what your dealer would say when I'm using one of those cheap Redmere cables from Monoprice on a $25,000 projector? I over budgeted though.......I think my cable was $54! eek.gif

But then again......my cable is 50 ft long.......... biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #11 of 54 Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 AM

Liked: 21
I am running my 5000$ project on a monoprice redmere cable as well. Like I said before it's a digital signal you don't need to be sending it down an eight gauge wire. IMO and most others peoples here are trying to tell you, your seller/integrator is over charging you. That is were he make the biggest margins, cables. I am willing to bet that some of the people that have suggested this to you in your thread, have more experience in hooking up dedicated theater rooms than your supplier.

I am not trying to be an a$$ just trying to make sure you are satisfied and your original question is answered (are opinions on equipment). Your better off saving $150 on that and spending it on a nice universal remote to run you new system.
post #12 of 54 Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for giving me the knowledge and courage to confront the A/V salesman/installer.
I would like to know what they mean when they say that the Monoprice HDMI cable "is not 4k compatible". They may bring that up again, and I would like to have a response for them.
Thanks again for all your help guys, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #13 of 54 Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

As I told Doublewing, Thanks for giving me the confidence to confront these sales people.
What do you think of the projector and BluRay player they suggested?
Thanks for your support, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #14 of 54 Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Oppo is THE number one recommended Bluray player on this forum, hands down. Personally I just installed an Epson 5030 and I rank it lower than the JVC, Sony and Panasonic that I've installed lately.

PROJECTS:

post #15 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 200
You're not installing a 4K projector or player - why would you install a 4K compatible HDMI cable? (if such a thing were to exist) Similarly, you're not installing a Ferrari (not that there's anything wrong with the Epson, per se)

Go to the source of HDMI-related information: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx A common high-speed cable is all you need.

post #16 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

Big box stores and dealers make the most money (margin) on accessories. Monoprice cables are used throughout this forum on builds ranging from budget to extreme.

If you have some time, cruise through the different sub-forums on here and get more comfortable with the gear you are purchasing.

If your installer keeps hard selling the expensive cables you should look elsewhere.
wraunch and willmo like this.

post #17 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
p.s. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025501&p_id=9169&seq=1&format=2
Look at what it supports... That's one of their "Ferrari" cables.

post #18 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Personally I wouldn't spend that much on a blu-ray player with that set-up, I'd just get a $150-250 ish one. And definitely get the HDMI from monoprice.
post #19 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I think installation seems reasonable. I guess they are pulling a new cable to the PJ, which might include some sheetrock cutting, patching, who knows. Couple that to uninstalling all the old stuff, changing the PJ mount, unpacking all the new stuff, hanging the new mount, aligning the PJ, tidying up it's probably not that unreasonable. Remember this is the Bay Area. It's expensive to live out here, labor rates are higher than in the rest of the country. My senior installer is $85/hr. Sure it's cheaper to DIY, but not everyone wants to do that, or has the skills to.
Mfusick likes this.

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #20 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I went to the HDMI site and found this recommendation:
High Speed HDMI Cable
The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.
I plan to connect to a "Blu-ray Disc player", so it would seem that I should use the High Speed HDMI Cable rather than the Standard HDMI Cable. Right?

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #21 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Great article. Thank you, R

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #22 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It's gotta be good enough for my system. If the installer objects to using that cable, I will look elsewhere for an installer/equipment vendor.
kinw3 likes this.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #23 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I agree. I will be paying them by the hour, so their estimate is irrelevant.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #24 of 54 Old 05-01-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

How is it that one Blu-ray player is better than another. Do they not all translate the digital signal from the disc into the same information that is then fed to the projector? If you can afford the time to explain this to me, I would be grateful.
Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #25 of 54 Old 05-02-2014, 05:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Oppo:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492940/official-oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-owners-thread/0_40

PROJECTS:

post #26 of 54 Old 05-02-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post

How is it that one Blu-ray player is better than another. Do they not all translate the digital signal from the disc into the same information that is then fed to the projector? If you can afford the time to explain this to me, I would be grateful.
Richard

It's a a bit controversial topic... some people swear they can notice huge differences between blu-ray players, but most data says there is none or very small differences. In general you're right digital is digital. I wouldn't go out and buy a $35.00 blu-ray player though. High end blu-ray players are better at upconverting features for converting SD to HD, but as far as blu-ray HDMI output the signal should be the same. Higher end ones also support DVD-A and SACD and have much better DAC's for analog playback. Also better streaming features and other software things.
post #27 of 54 Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Don't forget that unit comes with Darbee.

PROJECTS:

post #28 of 54 Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Don't forget that unit comes with Darbee.

ah, true. So the signal is different.
post #29 of 54 Old 05-07-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation. Might there be a difference in the robustness of the Blu-ray players? I am a Netflix user and find that my current DVD player cannot abide scratches and leaves me hanging in the middle of a movie scene frantically pushing my FF button to try to drive through the damaged portion of the disk.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #30 of 54 Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Is Darbee something I want to look for in any Blu-ray player? Do all Oppo units come with Darbee?

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page