Entry door / Riser design help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 94

With my second floor theater room 18'x15' which is in a new house (standard builder plans so wasn't able to do anything about design during build.the back wall of the room is a cavity wall with the HVAC ducting that goes from the attic to the first floor. The builder put in double doors in the back and wouldn't change to a single door.

Here is pic of the door looking into the HT room

What I am looking for is ideas for having a rear riser for a second row and how to fix entry.

Room is 18' long
First row eyeballs plan is at 9'

Some of the things I have been thinking about ..

1. Remove double door and reframe and put in single door at current position
2. Remove double door and place single door back so that it is on game room side of wall - will require remove deco arch and more demo / Sheetrock work.
3. other ideas for door?

For riser Should I do riser start at 9.5' from the screen 12" tall and all the way to back of room and place a stair step up outside the door? Place step up just inside the door?

Or other idea of doing riser wall to wall but just doing it 6' in in length leaving

Something like this (riser would be 15x6x1)

I thought about doing a bar against the back of the second row but don't think i have room for it.

I am still several months from working on this project but would appreciate and advice or recommendations on the design stage that you might have.

I keep browsing through other builds on here and..
1. am jealous of ya'll that have basement space that you can totally play with
2. Get the urge to rip the room down to studs and redo everything ( i can't justify the time/ expense to do this but totally want to have a blank slate room to mess with in my next house.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page