Pre-Hung Doors, or DIY Door Frame? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2014, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have most of my room isolation planned, I'm just stuck on the doors.

I will be closing the 5' opening that currently goes into the theater and installing a 32-36" door.
I have a 32" door in the back of the theater going into my office. That wall is solid concrete, so I won't be changing the size of that door biggrin.gif

Here is what the doors in my house look like:

They are solid wood doors, and I plan to fill the panels with self leveling compound which will add some nice mass, then green glue and a layer of MDF on each side.
I need to replace the hinges, and probably add a hinge. I will then replace the door stops.

I have lots of 32" doors that I have removed around the house, but the only 36" door is my front door, which I will probably also replace which would give me a nice 36" solid wood door to use.

So, at this point, I wonder if it just makes more sense to use some 2x6 to make a custom frame instead of buying a prehung door and messing with it?

What are the suggestions on how to extend the hardware? Should I patch up the holes from the existing hardware before doing all of this?

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI