The Kegerator Theater... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is my brother's theater we just finished building in his new house. We kept it really simple with clean lines since we had limited space e.g. no soffits, columns, panels or moulding. All the equipment is hidden behind a false wall with grill cloth-covered panels attached via velcro and the screen is a 130" acoustically transparent Seymour AV Center Stage XD. There is an IR repeater hidden behind the bottom panel. The sound and picture is incredible. There is a kegerator and mini fridge under the bar. Sorry for the mishmash of pictures. On the days I forgot to bring my camera I used my phone to take the pictures.

Equipment:
Sony VPL-HW55ES projector
Denon AVR-3313CI receiver
Polk Audio PSW505 subs (x2)
Polk Audio Monitor 70 fronts
Polk Audio CS2 center channel
Fluance AVBP2 bipole surrounds and rears
Velocity Edge Mini PC for movie trailers and karaoke
Behringer XENYX X1204USB mixer for karaoke
Lutron MIR-600T-BL Maestro IR Dimmer
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote
Blackout EZ Window Covers
LG Bluray player
Roku

Framing

I brought my old Panasonic PTL-300u projector over one night so we could throw an image on a sheet hung from the ceiling to see exactly how large we wanted the screen to be

The Seymour screen frame put together so we could accurately frame the false wall

Spray painting everything behind the false wall flat black

Making the grill cloth-covered panels. The frames are 1.5" x 1.5". The bottom center panel has a thin MDF veneer integrated into it to hide the lights of the equipment

We used twin track shelving brackets and built MDF shelves for the center channel and equipment

Hanging the screen before pressing the side panels into place

Building the rear row riser

Finished product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Awesome.

Every theater should have beer on tap. I want to do this to mine, but I want the tap to run through the wall and keep the fridge part outside with my equipment racks.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Be careful because the tap itself should be kept cold so the first beer you pour isn't hot or turned green. You may want to investigate using copper pipe or tubing instead of plastic tubing to keep the beer in the tap cold.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 340
My kind of theater looks good .... I like the Keg set up!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks great! Reminds me a lot of my own.

Why not put the front L/R behind the screen, as opposed to against the wall? Might give better imaging.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 80
For a thread entitled "The Kegerator Theater" there is a lack of kegerator info! biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif
Cobra611 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

For a thread entitled "The Kegerator Theater" there is a lack of kegerator info! biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif

You're right. I should have said some more about the kegerator. It's basically a mini fridge that doesn't have any shelves and can hold one full-sized commercial keg or 3 or 4 home brew-type kegs. I don't know much about home brewing but the home brew kegs are about the size of a scuba tank. According to my brother, who has been home brewing for years, the biggest pain in brewing your own beer is bottling so he has been wanting a kegerator for awhile. Here are a few more pictures from my mom's camera she took during the housewarming we had for them last Sunday. Here you can see the bottom middle panel that conceals the equipment. I cut a groove in the middle of the inside of that frame with a table saw and slid in a thin MDF panel before screwing it all together and painting it flat black in order to completely block the lights of the equipment. Before covering it with grill cloth I drilled a hole near the top of the MDF panel and pulled an IR eye extender through and screwed it the outside of the panel. It had a little blue feedback LED so I clipped it off with some cuticle clippers so you wouldn't see it light up behind the grill cloth whenever it received a command. I also made some velcro hinges for the bottom so my brother could quickly pull down that panel to put in a bluray or whatever but he can peel off the velcro and pull the panel off completely if he needs to.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm a homebrewer who kegs, so that's what piqued my interest. biggrin.gif

Nice theater, by the way! cool.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW55ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page