How to Frame Doors and Windows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How do you finish the door area in the theater? If I have two walls, and the door is installed in the second (inner) wall, how do you finish the door area so you don't see the gap between the walls in the doorway?

Ok, so I currently have 3 windows in my would-be theater. I will be installing glass block in two of them and I'd like to leave the 3rd one free so I can get some fresh air in. I can't figure out how to do the isolation for it, and similar to the doors, how to now have an exposed gap.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 619
couple of solutions for double walls and doors,

1) you order a custom jamb that spans the entire width. Anchor it firmly on the side with the hinges to that wall framing. but let it float over the other wall framing and only attach it via the case molding reducing vibration transfer,
2) oder the door with a standard jamb which will only be wide enough to cover part of the door depth. then add another piece of jamb material on the other wall but install it so there is a 1/4 inch gap to the door jamb. Fill the gap with something flexible like caulk or a rubber gasket.
3) same as 2) but you also run a piece of lattice over the gap only attaching it to one side so that in theory it can slide back and forth and the walls remain isolated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks Jeff. I like option 1. I was leaning towards building jams on-site. It seems to make more sense as it looked like I was going to be replacing hinges, routing out new area to put the hinges, and putting new door stops in.

What if I let it float, but leave it just short of spanning the full depth of both walls, so when I put on the trim I nail it into the frame, so the trim doesn't touch the jam at all? Would that work, or would it leave the jam weak?

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page