Acoustically transparent screen - center channel only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone . I've been reading a lot about false walls and acoustically transparent screens lately. As I plan my future dedicated theater, I'm starting to buy new gear piece by piece. I bought Klipsch speakers for my front "wall". I got the RC-52 and two RF-82 towers. I really like the design with the tweeter and everything. For the center channel, I don't really like the speaker to be under the screen. I'll be building a stage for the towers to stand on and I wanted to know if by placing ONLY the center channel speaker behind the screen I would lose sound quality... The speaker and towers wouldn't be that far but I call for your expertise to figure it out ! Thanks a lot for your precious help !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-26-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 226
It shouldn't be a big deal. I presume you'll have some kind of EQ - probably an automated thing. That will most likely take care of the attenuation (usually about 2 or 3 dB, sometimes less) that the screen causes in the top octave (10kHz to 20kHz). Some screens are slightly better than others in this regard, but if it's AT, you're probably good to go. Still, look at the specs before you buy.

The bigger issue, IMO is finding a buyer for your RC-52 so that you can have a third RF-82. There's no benefit to a horizontal center channel speaker if you're not trying to squeeze it in under a display, so avoid the pitfalls of that design and go with more towers.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Liked: 15
If you decide to go AT, I recommend seriously considering the same speakers for LCR as to avoid sound differences due to differing speaker design.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to place all speakers behind the screen. If you go thought the trouble and expense of building an AT screen, why not place all speakers at the optimum location? If you place the LR's in front of the screen, they will probably be too wide and too close to the side walls. If you're willing to compromise, and want to keep the center that you have, you could place it above the screen and avoid the AT screen.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I am very happy with my center channel behind an AT screen and my LR speakers beyond the edges of the screen.

I also agree with three identical speakers for the LCR ensemble.  I went with a speaker that was only sold in pairs, so I bought four speakers (two pair) and sold one individual speaker on Ebay. Someone else must have had needed a single center channel just like I did ... :-)

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #6 of 14 Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 91
If you are considering placing your left and right speakers outside of your AT screen then your AT screen is not large enough.
My first attempt at a screen wall had the screen recessed, with left and right speakers behind angled panels wrapped in black grille cloth. Very aesthetically pleasing, at least for the 6 months before I made the screen 2 feet wider and pulled it forward 6 inches.smile.gif

post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

If you are considering placing your left and right speakers outside of your AT screen then your AT screen is not large enough.
My first attempt at a screen wall had the screen recessed, with left and right speakers behind angled panels wrapped in black grille cloth. Very aesthetically pleasing, at least for the 6 months before I made the screen 2 feet wider and pulled it forward 6 inches.smile.gif

THIS. Just make your screen wider and put all 3 behind it wink.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I wasn't sure how additional layers of AT masking in front of a scope width AT screen would affect the sound, especially since the masking I sought would be hung like drapes, not pulled straight across the screen. Since I wanted to be able to mask the sides of the screen for non-2.35 material, I opted for placing the speakers outside of the screen margin.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #9 of 14 Old 05-25-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys ! Thanks for the helpful answers ! I just wanted to know if I decided to go with 3 rf-82 for my front setup (LCR) what kind of db calibration is usually used for three towers, especially the tower that is used as the central. Thanks again ! Jeremie
post #10 of 14 Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremie1986 View Post

I just wanted to know if I decided to go with 3 rf-82 for my front setup (LCR) what kind of db calibration is usually used for three towers, especially the tower that is used as the central.
Each screen material is different, and the manufacturer should be able to provide that data. Still, it's best to adjust on-site while measuring. For example, Seymour AV says there Center Stage XD material requires an average of 1.4 dB boost for all frequencies above 2kHz. Their new finer weave Center Stage UF requires 2.2 dB boost over the same range. http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp
post #11 of 14 Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is what it looks like behind my screen. If you can, it's the only way to go!

IMG_3297_zps979ff3c7.jpg
post #12 of 14 Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

WOW !!! Could you elaborate a little bit on your stage construction and what your subs are on ? This is exactly what I'm looking for ! Are these rf-82 ?
post #13 of 14 Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32

This is my front and only the center is behind the screen, the L&R are outside the screen boundaries . There are 4 Rythmik 15" subwoofer drivers under the screen on top of the stage.
They sound great and image beautifully I like a wide sound stage for movies , In fact for music also.wink.gif

PeterV
post #14 of 14 Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

3rd Klipsch tower behind ATS screen it is ! Mat1220's setup did it for me ! Another question for you guys : I already have two RF-82 towers that seems to be a Canadian exclusive according to Klipsch... Is it the same as RF-800 ? Will the sound be any different between RF-82 and RF-800 ? I'm buying from Future Shop. I heard that it's essentially the exact same speaker.... Thanks a lot ! Jeremie

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Klipsch Rc 52 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page