Equipment room redesign. Need suggestions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I have an equipment room that as you can see has two MIddle Atlantic racks that are along rear wall. Between the projector, amp fans and SSP in the equipment room, I get some unwanted noise in the room. I'd like to close this off to eliminate the noise. I had an idea to frame out another wall in front of the racks and place 3 vertical panels (1 for each rack and one in between that will have an opening with port glass to allow projector to shine through). I can modify the columns so that things will still look seamless with the new wall.

In this way, I can 'wall off the racks' and their noise yet still have access when I need it by making the rack 'covers' removable. I'd need to access the front rarely so IF I have to unscrew a cover to get to a rack, its not an issue. I'll make the Blu Ray players available to load in the equipment room

The center column 'panel' would be permanent and I would make one snug opening to place the SSP so that I can access and see it from the room. It would be the only piece of equipment facing inside the room in that wall. It would obviously be perfectly fit into the opening to keep the integrity of the wall and sealing off the noise with no air gaps.

SO, I need a construction method that sound deadening panels over the current racks yet allows access to the fronts of the racks by removing the panel. Resonance is my biggest concern (I have 5 Submersives).

My concerns are:

1. Enough noise reduction. Nothing is very loud but imagine with proper design, we should have things pretty well silent.

2. I do have HVAC unit in my equipment room so cooling won't be an issue.

3. Access that is not too much of a pain in the ass.

*I have considered just fully walling things off and reversing the racks so the front side is in the equipment room but rear access would still be bad (not a fan of rotating racks either)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
KNKKNK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Since you discussed reversing the racks, I assume you have room to push the racks back another 6" or so.
Is there a reason you couldn't frame a couple 2'0 solid core doors into the existing wall, add additional treatments on the new doors, cover them with the same cloth and hide them.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
KNKKNK is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Since you discussed reversing the racks, I assume you have room to push the racks back another 6" or so.
Is there a reason you couldn't frame a couple 2'0 solid core doors into the existing wall, add additional treatments on the new doors, cover them with the same cloth and hide them.

The inside room is really tight . I can post a pic later. I worry about doors resonating. I'd ideally like to keep the racks in place, extend out the wall and then rather than doors screw in panels over each rack, cover with foam and fabric so that they are removable. The center panel being permanently covered and in place with an opening and port glass for the projector and a custom cut for the SSP.

I just want to make sure that my thoughts make acoustical / lack of resonating sense.

Thanks for the thoughts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not sure about your MA racks, but my racks both have doors on them. This cuts down the noise significantly. They actually came with 2 each (1 with a full plexiglass window, and the other is perforated metal). I assume you've already got good ventilation for your equipment...why don't you put a couple of door on the racks, and build out the fronts to match either with the grey fabric or black of your columns? Not sure why you need to see the SSP? Assume you've got a control system with 2 way feedback? No need for that distraction.

I don't really like talking about my flair


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
barhoram is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Not sure about your MA racks, but my racks both have doors on them. This cuts down the noise significantly. They actually came with 2 each (1 with a full plexiglass window, and the other is perforated metal). I assume you've already got good ventilation for your equipment...why don't you put a couple of door on the racks, and build out the fronts to match either with the grey fabric or black of your columns? Not sure why you need to see the SSP? Assume you've got a control system with 2 way feedback? No need for that distraction.

I have Slim 5 racks. Do they make doors for those?

I didn't see any


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
LeBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pebble Beach, CA
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes they do. I have doors on mine. http://middleatlantic.com/products/racks-enclosures/front-doors/pfd-series-plexi-front-doors/dop-5-43.aspx


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeBon is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 05-07-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

How does it mount? I can't seem to find specs on it. I have gear that sticks out from the frame and other gear with rack handles that stick out a couple inches.

How does it mount or do you have a picture you can post of your rack with shots of the door?

Does it vibrate with heavy bass?

Thanks!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Not sure about your MA racks, but my racks both have doors on them. This cuts down the noise significantly. They actually came with 2 each (1 with a full plexiglass window, and the other is perforated metal). I assume you've already got good ventilation for your equipment...why don't you put a couple of door on the racks, and build out the fronts to match either with the grey fabric or black of your columns? Not sure why you need to see the SSP? Assume you've got a control system with 2 way feedback? No need for that distraction.

Can you build out a Middle Atlantic rack door with sound deadening, etc - Is that what you are saying?

Or are you suggesting to build out the area in front o the rack, cover it with sound deadening and screw it down (and when needing access, unscrewing the false panel and accessing the rack? Admittedly, that is an option I've been strongly considering.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Correct. I was suggesting simply putting doors on the racks and see if that helps with the sound, and possibly building them out. On my two racks, the difference with doors open and shut is pretty big. If it is pretty quiet in your theater now, with the racks wide open, I would think the doors would help quite a bit. If you don't like the look of the doors, or it isn't enough, I would then build them out some(with additional sealing/mass) and match your theater.

Certainly a false panel would do better, but I'm not certain the extra effort would be worth it in the long run--as putting doors on, would be pretty easy vs a false panel. Also, even though my equipment room is separate from the theater, I'm surprised at how often I need access to the rack.

I don't really like talking about my flair


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
barhoram is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I can try that. Now my amps all have fans that draw air from the rear and push out to the from of the amp. I suppose if the door when closed) has a 2"-3" gap, the heated airr coming out there will rise and my mini split, which is in the room will cici late it.

I want to double check ventilation. Thanks for the ideas.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
LeBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pebble Beach, CA
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

How does it mount? I can't seem to find specs on it. I have gear that sticks out from the frame and other gear with rack handles that stick out a couple inches.

How does it mount or do you have a picture you can post of your rack with shots of the door?

Does it vibrate with heavy bass?

Thanks!
To mount the doors, you remove the 1-Unit slotted panels at the top and bottom, and replace them with a bracket that incorporates the hinge pins.

There is maybe 1 inch of depth in the door, plus whatever there is between the face of a rack panel and the face of the side rails. Not a lot of room for protruding rack handles, ets.

There is no exit for air at the top, so you would need to do that with perforated rack panels for air exit through the top of the rack. I don't have any equipment with front air intakes or exhausts in my old theatre.

My new theatre will use QSC amps, so I won't be using MA doors. I plan to build a door into the wall, and set the rack back far enough to allow for the air circulation out the front of the QSC amps.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeBon is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I think I have it solved - in my head... Want to bounce it off the folks here.

I talked to the builder and he can leave the racks in place and frame out each rack and fabricate a hinged door that will clamp shut tight (so as not to vibrate). For ventilation, I"ll have the door made so there's a 3" air space in front of the equipment for heat to rise (as amps blow heat from back to forward) and I'll place a rack fan on the top shelve to help draw up the hot air back into the equipment room where the mini split resides. So, the doors will sorta look like a narrow shoe box top to fits over the racks).

We'll fit the frame with a rubber seal and fabricate out of MDF and cover with fabric, absorption to match the rest of the root.

This way the racks will be sealed shut, have a ventilation shaft of sorts and can be easily opened for access to the racks. The doors will go floor to ceiling.

For the port hole, I will simply add port glass.

Ideas? Thoughts?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rabident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Jeff,

I have to ask. Did your design include the open equipment racks & no port glass, or did you go off reservation on those?

I remember in the $20k forum Dennis said your theater & Art's were the only 2 rooms that he felt came out well despite not building them himself. So I was shocked to read that your room has audible equipment noise to the point that it bothers you and you want to redesign it. Don't take this in a bad way, but how does your theater with audible & bothersome equipment noise = success story, while my walls with a little extra flex = fail (room unsuitable for playback).

As far as MDF + absoption, I thought the back wall was generally supposed to be diffusion. So maybe use absorption on the interior of the MDF panel facing the equipment, but a diffusor on the outside facing the theater. And on behalf of Ted, I'll go ahead and recommend you use 2 layers of anything you can put green glue between for the rigid part of your panels. You might actually just want to give Ted a call and see what he thinks.

Or as an alternative, does your equipment room back up to another room? Could you put most of your equipment in the other room? Have it share the common wall between the equipment room & other room -vs- equipment room & theater. That's what I was going to do for mine, and disguise the rack sitting in the other room. If you don't have a room on the other side, then that obviously wouldn't work for you.

Hiding all those power & status lights facing the screen should help with your CR as well. But you might want to check with QSC on the minimum clearance needed in front of the amps for exhaust.

 

 

rabident is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Jeff,

If it was me, I'd remove the wall that's flush with the racks and build a new one further out with doors. You'd end up with something very similar to mine ...





Cheers,

Peter M


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Peter M is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Jeff,

I have to ask. Did your design include the open equipment racks & no port glass, or did you go off reservation on those?

I remember in the $20k forum Dennis said your theater & Art's were the only 2 rooms that he felt came out well despite not building them himself. So I was shocked to read that your room has audible equipment noise to the point that it bothers you and you want to redesign it. Don't take this in a bad way, but how does your theater with audible & bothersome equipment noise = success story, while my walls with a little extra flex = fail (room unsuitable for playback).

As far as MDF + absoption, I thought the back wall was generally supposed to be diffusion. So maybe use absorption on the interior of the MDF panel facing the equipment, but a diffusor on the outside facing the theater. And on behalf of Ted, I'll go ahead and recommend you use 2 layers of anything you can put green glue between for the rigid part of your panels. You might actually just want to give Ted a call and see what he thinks.

Or as an alternative, does your equipment room back up to another room? Could you put most of your equipment in the other room? Have it share the common wall between the equipment room & other room -vs- equipment room & theater. That's what I was going to do for mine, and disguise the rack sitting in the other room. If you don't have a room on the other side, then that obviously wouldn't work for you.

Hiding all those power & status lights facing the screen should help with your CR as well. But you might want to check with QSC on the minimum clearance needed in front of the amps for exhaust.

Fair questions.

Honestly, I do not recall why wee did it this way but it was likely my own preference because I needed access to equipment and back then, other than the projector, none of my equipment had a fan -except the PJ - which was very quiet (Sony Qualia). It was never really an issue until recent as I added other amplifiers and expect a new projector and more amplifiers that will be needed with 13.1, I expect all to get louder.

I looked at my QSC manual and it draws cool air from the rear intakes and says not to block this but nothing else about placement. I may make the door 3 or 4 inches in depth for a big air space for heat to rise (and a fan up top to draw it out). I do not have any other place to put the equipment.

The amps never really got too hot but that may change a bit in closing off the front. I'm adding 4 new amplifiers.

Thanks for the input - any more is appreciated


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Jeff,

If it was me, I'd remove the wall that's flush with the racks and build a new one further out with doors. You'd end up with something very similar to mine ...





Cheers,

Hi Peter,

Cheers!

Great looking room and photos. Could you post a photo with your equipment room door open? How far recessed is your equipment rack behind the door?

Also, how did you construct your port glass? It looks great! Or do you have a schematic. I think we were going to router out a 3/4" plywood and glue in - at a 15 deg angle - how did you do yours?

Thanks for chiming in!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
LeBon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pebble Beach, CA
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I think I have it solved - in my head... Want to bounce it off the folks here.

...For ventilation, I"ll have the door made so there's a 3" air space in front of the equipment for heat to rise (as amps blow heat from back to forward) and I'll place a rack fan on the top shelve to help draw up the hot air back into the equipment room where the mini split resides. So, the doors will sorta look like a narrow shoe box top to fits over the racks)...
We more or less independently came up with the same solution. In my case, I will put the rack up on a small platform, and draw air from the theater room under the front of the rack and up through it. Fortunately the QSC amps don't generate a huge amount of heat. I plan on seeing if natural convection at the top will get the heat out (my equipment closet exhaust (return) will be up there), but I may go to the additional fan at the top if necessary.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeBon is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hi Peter,

Cheers!

Great looking room and photos. Could you post a photo with your equipment room door open? How far recessed is your equipment rack behind the door?

Also, how did you construct your port glass? It looks great! Or do you have a schematic. I think we were going to router out a 3/4" plywood and glue in - at a 15 deg angle - how did you do yours?

Thanks for chiming in!

Jeff,

Here's a shot with the doors open ...



My equipment room is quite open with free standing racks so I have heaps of ventilation. The fronts of the racks are about 3" behind the doors. The racks are on rails so they roll out into the room and I can get in behind them.

For the port glass I made a frame out of four pieces of MDF. The sides have sloping grooves routed in them, the bottom has a groove and the top has a slot right through. So after assembly of the frame I inserted a rubber glazing bead into the side and bottom grooves and then the glass slid into place down through the slot in the top. Remarkably it worked well considering the tight tolerances and I even manged to avoid breaking the glass !

Cheers,

Peter M


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Peter M is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Jeff,

Here's a shot with the doors open ...



My equipment room is quite open with free standing racks so I have heaps of ventilation. The fronts of the racks are about 3" behind the doors. The racks are on rails so they roll out into the room and I can get in behind them.

For the port glass I made a frame out of four pieces of MDF. The sides have sloping grooves routed in them, the bottom has a groove and the top has a slot right through. So after assembly of the frame I inserted a rubber glazing bead into the side and bottom grooves and then the glass slid into place down through the slot in the top. Remarkably it worked well considering the tight tolerances and I even manged to avoid breaking the glass !

Cheers,

Peter,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to email this to my builder! Your room turned out beautifully in form and function.

Also, with your port glass, I see the slanted cut out in the photo of your glass - is there a second pane flush with the outer wall as well? I doubt it but I was wondering how well that single pain stops sound? I assume with all closed up, there is little if any sound that leaks through.

Thanks so much!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words.

There's only one slanted pane of glass in the porthole and it works well.

The other thing I did to minimise sound coming out of the equipment room was to line the whole room with absorbing material. You can clearly see it attached to the back of the doors and sort of see it on the back wall.

Cheers,

Peter M


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Peter M is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 05-19-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words.

There's only one slanted pane of glass in the porthole and it works well.

The other thing I did to minimise sound coming out of the equipment room was to line the whole room with absorbing material. You can clearly see it attached to the back of the doors and sort of see it on the back wall.

Cheers,

I am clearing out my equipment room and have taken an idea from you. I'm going to recess my current racks' postion by pushing them 4" so as it make a less deep door.

This is the door I will use - thanks for the info. Mine will be a single door (a double door is shown).




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Jeff,

If it was me, I'd remove the wall that's flush with the racks and build a new one further out with doors. You'd end up with something very similar to mine ...





Cheers,

I must ask: where did you get your seating and what are the make/model???

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Social:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #23 of 26 Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I must ask: where did you get your seating and what are the make/model???

Seats are from here - http://imgcomfort.com/en-US/Default.aspx

I don't want to hijack Jeff's thread, but I'm happy to answer any and all questions in my build thread.

Cheers,

Peter M


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Peter M is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 05-21-2014, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Seats are from here - http://imgcomfort.com/en-US/Default.aspx

I don't want to hijack Jeff's thread, but I'm happy to answer any and all questions in my build thread.

Cheers,

Hijack away!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 243
It is vastly cheaper and more sound isolating to do the rack outside the room... Is it not possible for you to do that at this point? Leave the back of the rack with doors/panels for access.

Doors wont rattle if you put felt pads on them typically.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

It is vastly cheaper and more sound isolating to do the rack outside the room... Is it not possible for you to do that at this point? Leave the back of the rack with doors/panels for access.

Doors wont rattle if you put felt pads on them typically.

Yeah. No can do. Will do an option similar to Peter's.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off