New build in a loft conversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys.

Just after some advice about my new home cinema construction. I'm about 2 weeks away from my builders starting my loft conversion. It's going to be a full length dormer extension so I'll have a fairly decent space to play with. The only stipulation I'm getting off the missus it that I need to create a bedroom for my eldest child. So I'll have a two room loft conversion. I've drawn up what I think it could look like but I'm after some advice as to what people think it will be like for sound.

Kit wise I've already got my cinema chairs sorted and have probably have £1000-£1500 to spend on the entertainment side of the build, I can maybe stretch it out a little so I'm open to any suggestions that people may have for what kit I need. I truly am a novice and any advice people can give on wiring ect would be greatly appreciated as I'm going in somewhat blind. It's a starter build so not going to be awesome but I'll be looking to change bits of kit as time moves on.

My builders are obviously open to placing the stud walls wherever I want them so the layout can change a little. I've placed the cinema as per my plan away from my next door neighbours party wall as to keep the noise down for them but I'm open to advice on this also.

Any help people can give me would be greatly appreciated, From Kit, to design to sound issues I'll have with my design.

I'll then keep people updated with how the build is progressing on here.

Regards

Kev.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 611
dimensions?

That first row looks really close to the screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply.

The image was a quick floor plan I did using the plans we've had drawn, but my plans show the whole space been 5542 by 6010. I'm guessing that's in millimetres.

I've also no real idea how far the seats should be away from the projector screen. I'm a complete novice and feel I've maybe jumped at starting the build before I new exactly what we wanted to do with the space. Now we've freed up the money to create the space and have commited to contractors I'm a little worried.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 611
that would be pretty small for the whole space.

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 18 Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

As it's a full length dormer so it will be the whole upstairs minus 1.2 metres for the roof on the other side. Maybe the dimensions are wrong or my house isn't as big as I think it is. What distance do I want my seats away from my screen if I'm looking at a 120" screen?  

Also maybe the layout I've looked at needs altering a bit?

post #6 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Why not put the bed room at the top of the stairs where the current theater is and then use the remaing space for the theater. Walk into the pool table area with theater in the front? You will want a false window in that space or a window plug like what is in my theater. See my signature

post #7 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

That's makes lots of sense. Thanks for taking the time to have a ganders. That area you mention is going to have a velux window in the roof and a normal window on the dormer side. Some good black out blinds will be needed I'm assuming.

Contracts signed now and work starts on Tuesday.

post #8 of 18 Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Evening Gents.

Sorry for the small diagram but is there any chance somebody could look over my wire plan and let me know it it's correct.

Kind regards

Kev.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-11-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If you had the builders move the doorway towards the stairs, you could center the screen in the end wall.
And have the option of a acoustically transparent screen also.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-11-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Cheers pal, That's been mentioned with the builders and it will be more towards the stairs but what we didn't want was for you to reach the top and have to open the door and turn left all while stood on the very top of the stairs :) 

post #11 of 18 Old 05-12-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Happy days, My build starts in morning :)

post #12 of 18 Old 05-21-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Conversion is coming on well. Being in my Audio Superstore today and bought all my cables, Speaker system AV receiver , Blue Ray player & Brackets. Have one of there custom installers coming out on Tuesday and we'll get a feel for the room and discuss projector sizes and throw distances and pick a projector.

Really happy going great guns. 

post #13 of 18 Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Pictures of stud walls to follow :)

post #14 of 18 Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Not going to be the biggest Home theatre room in the world but it's big enough for our family :)

post #15 of 18 Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Av rack all installed. Only housing an Av Receiver, Blueray player & Sky TV box to begin with so finished off the gaps with blank plates.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Stairs now installed going into my loft.

Landing leading to Sons new bedroom and Cinema Room.

Leading on to sons bedroom

Corner of Cinema room. I'll eventually have a bar installed in that section.

Wall for my screen, You can just make out my speaker wires Left, right and centre speaker wire. :) All coming along nicely.

post #17 of 18 Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

All finished

My cinema room is all done and dusted. Sounds and looks great. Well worth the effort and cost.

Last edited by Kevin Tranmer; 07-22-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: pics went wierd
post #18 of 18 Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
nice

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page