Northern NJ Multipurpose - Game Room / Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Be gentile with my guys.  :)   I am building out a game room/theater in my basement.

Budget is not unlimited and improvements will be continually on-going.  (As I think everyone does).

Since this is a Multi-purpose room the first and most important thing is the Screen. (You date your projector but you marry your screen).

I have decided on a Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 Gain 144" diagonal 2.35:1.

After researching everything I believe the Black Diamond will give me the best viewing for Football and sports with the lights on while we are playing pool and help to reject ambient light.

While I would love to purchase the Sony VPL-VW600 $12K is going to break the bank.

I am heavy leaning toward the JVC DLA-RS4910 for $4K and upgrading later once 4K Blu-Ray is available.

1st Question (Projector / Screen Combo)

• There have been a lot of suggestions/comments that the JVC won't be bright enough for this room / screen?  
  • What is your thought?
  • I plan on using 2.35 for Movies lights off at night (Dark) No A lens.  16:9 for Sports lights on. (114" Diagonal)   

2nd Question (Sound)

• 7.2 surround vs. 9.2 surround?  With an open wall on the left side of the Theater and an open back, side speakers are going to be difficult.
  • I will use in ceiling speakers for the back surrounds and either in Wall or mount speakers on the Wall above ear level.

3rd Question (Seating Distance)

• First row will be at 16' 8"  (4 Chairs from Roman).  Second row will be on an 8" riser 23' 4" from screen.
  • Is this too far?  SWOK has a bigger screen with a closer seating distance?
  • I can mount the projector anywhere.  I figured around 17-18' should be good?  Closest for brightness.

4th Question (Audio)

• I know.  I am cheaping out....
  • Possibly? Sony  STR-DN1040?
  • Polk Audio Monitors 75T (Fronts)
  • 2X Polk PSWW505 12in Powered Sub (300Watt)
  • Polk Audio RC80i In-Wall for rears and surrounds?
  • Do I put Buttkickers in the chairs or spend more on the sub woofers?

Here is a picture of my design.  Thanks in advance for all your help.  I will post pictures as I build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I'll repeat my advice I always state when I see these types of designs:

Think about your usage of this space, and how many "activities" will occur simultaneously. Ping pong, billiards, foosball, pinball, etc. are not at all compatible with movie-watching. If you expect to be using that room for games (or you have kids that would be using the space for ANYTHING), while someone is watching a movie - you'll want the spaces separated and enclosed. I went through the same journey and ended with a dedicated room, and I don't even have kids!

Enclosing the theater also makes a lot of the other issues go away - speaker placement and light control being the primary ones.

For sports-watching, a combination of theater seating and a supplemental flat-panel on the wall in the "games" / bar area can work, too. Showing the same or different content on both (or more!) screens is easily done...

Regardless, a first row all way out at 16' is way too far. Think more like 10-11'. And with your furnace room behind the screen, it looks like a good place to recess the speakers and use an AT screen (if you enclose the room and therefore solve the light control problem).

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback.

I really like the dual purpose room and the larger size single room rather than two smaller.

If I decide down the road to enclose it would be simple to erect two walls and close it in.
Moving or changing speakers would be easy.

As far as viewing distance goes your distances seen very close. I have heard to use 3X the screen height.
Which would be 14'. Or I have also heard not to exceed 40 degree viewing angle. I am currently at 36 degree.
I heard it causes eye fatigue?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Again.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhartman67 View Post

I really like the dual purpose room and the larger size single room rather than two smaller.

I do, too (although you've got quite a bit of room anyway), but will one large 'dual-purpose' room fit your usage?
Quote:
If I decide down the road to enclose it would be simple to erect two walls and close it in.
Moving or changing speakers would be easy.

Oh, no, it's not that simple.
Quote:
As far as viewing distance goes your distances seen very close. I have heard to use 3X the screen height.
Which would be 14'. Or I have also heard not to exceed 40 degree viewing angle. I am currently at 36 degree.

You're starting from a screen size and working backwards - you should fix your seating arrangement, then choose the appropriately-sized screen from those dimensions.

Having the first row at 16' and more rows at 23'+ force a larger screen, which requires lots more light (read: expensive projector) and the very large open space will demand quite a bit of audio power and speakers to match.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
45 degree viewing angle is optimal.

Just another vote on your open concept, My first ever personal theater was a large open space, Now as I strive for great picture and sound I wish I had built a personal screening room rather than a space to entertain. I spy some great looking space labeled Workshop on your floor plan.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your posts...

Jeff according to your chart ideal viewing 45 degree would be first row at 11 feet (1x screen width of 133")?

144" Screen 2.35:1 is (133" x 56").

Sounds like I need to pull my seating forward a couple feet?  

11 feet sounds very close??

I pulled this off a screen calculator.  Never ceases to amaze me the amount of misinformation?

Nice thoughts on the workshop area.  But I really do use my workshop.  Too many ceiling issues in there furnace, electrical panel, duct work.

The section where the seats are will have a 9 foot finished ceiling.  The three "C"s are columns where the soffit is going.

Thanks again for you input.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Jautor,

Help me?

I have an open room 25'8" by 15' wide.  9' Ceiling (Except soffit running down the left side of theater for HVAC)

What would you build?  

I want two rows of 4 seats.  2:35 screen.

Thanks

post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 608
I think 45 is at 1.21 x width, from that chart. I sit at 1.12 Keep in mind you have three rows, the first row might be just a smidgen close to help the other rows from being too far.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Better.

So it looks like First Row is about 13.5 feet. I was trying to align the two seats with the arc.  :rolleyes:

I pull everything forward 3 feet.  I think that is ok.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhartman67 View Post

Thanks for your posts...

Jeff according to your chart ideal viewing 45 degree would be first row at 11 feet (1x screen width of 133")?
144" Screen 2.35:1 is (133" x 56").

Sounds like I need to pull my seating forward a couple feet?  

Yes, many feet... biggrin.gif
Quote:
11 feet sounds very close??

My front row is ~9' from a 136" diagonal 2.35 screen. I wouldn't go any bigger, but that makes the 2nd row at 16' really nice, too.

But I validated that choice of screen not only from the recommended angles, but also by testing it myself before buying the screen. If you're not building a false wall / Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen setup, there's NO reason not to test the image size on a white surface before purchasing the screen.
Quote:
I pulled this off a screen calculator.  Never ceases to amaze me the amount of misinformation?

It's probably correct - you read it wrong. That chart is MAXIMUM distance from the screen to remain in the 'standard'... But you want to be closer to the "ideal" distance, which is something around 2-2.5x the screen height.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page